advertisement

Ghastly expressions you want to see the back of in 2011

I think "no problem" has an unspoken implication that the request is a bit of an imposition.
Exactly! And they are being especially nice in satisfying a request that is really a bit too much. Like asking a waiter for more water or another bottle of wine or the bill. It puts you in the position of being "difficult" and them of being particularly kind and generous (but don't make a habit of it.)

Interesting that there are ferocious national and local government bodies that won't let you change a door knob on any building considered even remotely historic, and yet the fabric of a language, with thousands of years of history and the backbone of a culture, can be mucked about by anyone. There, had my rant.

Indeed. Passion is, in my experience, more associated with uncontrolled, animalistic drives than with smart, rational decisions. Not sure I want my bank, or my health, insurance, pension or career prospects, run by people prone to such urges.

Your pension and health insurance are run by people with a passion for converting your cash to their cash.

advertisement

Back