advertisement

Getting to know LS3/5As

Tony L

Administrator
Time to start rambling aimlessly about these little BBC monitors and I think it makes sense to do so on their own thread rather than cluttering up my ongoing JR149 thread. There will inevitably be some overlap and some comparisons to be made, but that will come later.

50762070426_08c411efc7_b.jpg

(pfm Record Shop system upstairs, hence ‘decor’!)

These are Falcons, so an accurate modern recreation of the original 15 Ohm LS3/5A. They are bog standard, i.e. do not have the new ‘gold label’ crossovers, so I am assuming they are just an LS3/5A. Nothing more, nothing less. There is a wonderful quote somewhere from the Eastern collector with a massive wall of the things saying being honest he can’t tell them apart as they all sound the same, which is what one would hope given it is a very precise spec. As such any content on this thread just assumes the Falcons are just an LS3/5A the same as any other 15 Ohm model. The stands are also by Falcon and I bought them as they are just more manageable and have a better sized top-plate than my Target R4s (which being honest I struggle to move let alone carry up/down stairs).

Anyway, I’m kind of shocked by the LS3/5As. They are seriously good speakers. I knew I liked them as I have done at shows etc, often feeling they were the best sound there, and I knew that the reason I liked them is they have that mid-band thing that is ‘right’ in the Quad ESL, and ‘wrong’ in so many other speakers regardless of size or price. What I wasn’t expecting is they actually sound pretty punchy too! They certainly don’t cower from a well recorded drum kit.

50705737581_6b5e3eb5f8_b.jpg

The bass is fascinating as that EQ bump actually works. They never end up sounding ‘small’ or ‘thin’, even in direct comparison with the Lockwoods. They have a little ‘warmth’ but none of the ‘flub’ or ‘hollowness’ of so many ported speakers (I do not like ports on small speakers). They are very easy to listen to across genres. The limitation is obviously there is a volume ceiling as there is with any mini-monitor, but in the nearfield at levels I like listening at they probably have enough range. They do seem to need a bit of volume to wake up, so I’m averaging around 80db on most stuff, which will certainly be putting the occasional peaks over 90db. That’s still within the scope of the Stereo 20 and obviously the 303 downstairs has no issue (and loves the 15 Ohm load).

I found some very interesting content on this Medialux blog theorising as to how the bass bump translates into a ‘win’ in the typically small rooms we have in the UK and I tried setting them up in exactly this way last night (i.e. not as pictured in the first pic on the thread, which is where the JR149s work) and it really works well. The theory being that you get them far enough from the back wall to negate the ‘bump’ but put them right on the 40Hz node present in the typical UK room and as the LS3/5A is so tight and well behaved down here, plus many db down, it uses it to its benefit. This certainly seems true; I was stunned by how well they did stuff like Donald Fagan’s Morph The Cat, the bass guitar deep, punchy and tight, the double bass and drums on Bill Evans Live At The Village Vanguard not diminished in stature at all. With the lights out there is no way in hell you would think a mini monitor was producing this soundscape. I guess this is also pretty much the position I had them in plonked in front of the Lockwoods on the R4s, where they actually worked remarkably well. I maybe need to rethink how I’m using the 149s in light of this and try a larger listening triangle.

When it comes to making any measurements and trying to form any conclusions between the three mini-monitors I have to hand things will obviously get a bit complex as they all have very different usage requirements, e.g. the JR149 does like some wall lift and sounds thin pulled right out into the room, and I suspect the Spendor S3/5R is somewhere in the middle ground between the two (though actually seems to work pretty much anywhere, they are currently on little tip-back Ikea stands either side of the TV and sound great!). As such there is likely no winner as they all have a slightly different installation context. I’m reluctant to make the classic reviewer/idiot mistake of measuring everything in the same place, but I’m not sure how useful comparisons of speakers in different locations are. What I would really like to measure is the time/phase domain as I’m pretty certain that is far more important to me as a listener than the odd bump or dip in a response curve. I tend to hear crossover points between drivers but not really care about the odd peak or trough as long as it isn’t a boom or honk.

I’m curious to see what any long-term LS3/5A users have to add. As with any speaker there is clearly an art to setting these things up and I’m certainly at the start of that learning curve.

My knowledge as to the technical aspects of LS3/5as is non-existent, so all I can say is that I like the noise that they make. We bought a pair on a trip to the UK in 1981 and took them back to Oz, one each, as cabin baggage! I had a big, old pair of speakers and I perched the little Rogers on top. My hi-fi enthusiast father-in-law came and listened to some music. "Very good!" he said, "now let's hear how the little ones cope with it" and looked suitably amazed when I said "Those were the little ones". They live on a large bookshelf downstairs and they remain my normal speakers. I also have a pair of ESL57s, which are, in my opinion, wonderful, but, to my 73-year-old-and-undoubtedly-failing ears, the LS3/5as give me most of what the ESLs give me, and they're there, ready to go, as opposed to the ESLs, which have to be pulled out into position (usually stored out of the way, flat against the wall). I augmented them with a Linn Sizmik subwoofer some years ago. It has been suitably throttled back to match the ESLs, and this works well with the LS3/5as.

I have tried other speakers (such as small B&Ws), but the LS3/5as always stayed. They're clearly not for everyone (I remember Geoffrey Horn, one of the hi-fi reviewers of Gramophone back in the dim, distant past, admitting that he simply never got on with them), but for me in my particular situation, they are just the job.

It’s all already been said, clearly they do something right in order to inspire the devotion that they do.

Everyone should hear a pair in order to draw their own conclusions.

People who like Quads, Valves, Idlers and the smell of Bakelite will, I’m sure; be keen as mustard.

I have the Spendor S3/5R. I know, it is not a proper LS3/5a but i do prefer the Linn Kan Kustone as they suit my musical taste better.
I would love to hear the OP's thoughts on how the Spendor compare with the Falcon.

People who like Quads, Valves, Idlers and the smell of Bakelite will, I’m sure; be keen as mustard.

To my mind, other than clearly being a very cleverly designed little speaker (the BBC research dept apparently spent the equivalent of well over £1m developing them in today’s money!) their unique selling points are:

• They work exceptionally well in small rooms where so many other speakers would boom or flub. Exactly the sort of rooms so many people in the UK, Japan and other densely populated areas have to contend with.
  • A very valve-friendly load which allows some stunningly good vintage and/or low-powered amps to shine, which is very unusual for a small speaker, especially modern ones (most need big solid state muscle amps).
  • A natural, neutral, clear, open and un-hyped sound that appeals to mature classical and jazz listeners who can afford to place real no-compromise equipment upstream and have no desire to recreate ‘party volumes’ etc (I personally view them as a ‘grown ups’, even a ‘retirement flat’ speaker).

I suspect the reason they have obtained the cult status is the combination of all three. Remove or reduce weighting of any one and they wouldn’t be where they are.

I would love to hear the OP's thoughts on how the Spendor compare with the Falcon.

It will come in time. I haven’t directly compared yet, though as stated above I’m not sure how valid direct comparisons are yet as each speaker has its niche. I do certainly like the Spendors a lot though. They strike me as a speaker I like because they don’t do anything wrong, they just don’t draw any attention to themselves at all. My suspicion is the LS3/5A mid is more open and natural, but that may just be because the Stereo 20 is more in its element. I suspect, like most modern mini-monitors, the Spendors would respond to a real high-end Conrad Johnson, Accuphase class A type thing, whereas the JR149s and LS3/5As are plenty happy with my obsessively restored Leak. They all seem to work well on the Quad 303 too, so I’ll maybe bring that into the frame at some stage.

The thing I’m struggling with is the more I think about it the more problematic comparisons become, and the more dumb typical audiophile measurements appear as really you are never comparing A to B to C as there are inevitably so many more variables. Each of these little speakers will favour a different location, maybe a different room, and they will each interact with the driving amplifier differently. As such what exactly are we comparing? I’m far more interested in understanding the character traits between the LS3/5A and JR149 as they have so much shared DNA, but they are very different indeed. In very interesting ways too!

Moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago and have been changing furniture and curtains etc since then, so the room isn’t settled yet. The room is about 14.5 square metres and the Falcons are almost 1 metre into the room. Small group Jazz and classic Christmas tunes from the 50s 60s have been marvellous via the seemingly perfectly-matched Sugden A21aP I’ve been using. I’m also expecting great results from my Quad II monos next week.

I found some very interesting content on this Medialux blog theorising as to how the bass bump translates into a ‘win’ in the typically small rooms we have in the UK and I tried setting them up in exactly this way last night (i.e. not as pictured in the first pic on the thread, which is where the JR149s work) and it really works well. The theory being that you get them far enough from the back wall to negate the ‘bump’ but put them right on the 40Hz node present in the typical UK room and as the LS3/5A is so tight and well behaved down here, plus many db down, it uses it to its benefit. This certainly seems true; I was stunned by how well they did stuff like Donald Fagan’s Morph The Cat, the bass guitar deep, punchy and tight, the double bass and drums on Bill Evans Live At The Village Vanguard not diminished in stature at all. With the lights out there is no way in hell you would think a mini monitor was producing this soundscape. I guess this is also pretty much the position I had them in plonked in front of the Lockwoods on the R4s, where they actually worked remarkably well. I maybe need to rethink how I’m using the 149s in light of this and try a larger listening triangle.

Interesting. My kef 101's have a -2db point of 90db, with a 12 db per octave (sealed enclosures). That means ~12 db down by 40-45 hz. Yet they are full, 0 db down, by ear, at these 40-45hz. It is indeed where the room mode kicks in.

What is missing a bit is 50-60 hz bass. The 101's are known to not-have a bass hump, so I am intrigued by trying a proper bass-humped LS3/5A's in this (largish) room. E. Strauss on the link you gave says this "hump" is around 130hz... I thought it was lower.

BTW my favourite mode of listening with these is not dead on center, but a bit on the side, observing, almost watching these huge stage and air present in the room.

Omer.

After a couple of weeks with the LS3/5As in place I’ve just stuck the JR149s back and they concede nothing! The contrasts and differences really are fascinating and will take some effort to articulate, though I think the key point to start with is they are not the same and do not do the same job. Any comparisons would have to be with the 149s where the LS3/5As are in the first post, and the LS3/5As a lot further out into the room and the listening seat moved correspondingly. Despite sharing the same drivers and era these are really not the same speaker. I can’t see there being any winner here (other than by price, 149s can certainly be had a lot cheaper!). I’m not even sure I’ll be able to figure out which I prefer, which is no issue as I intend to keep both long-term.

I’d be interested to hear from those who really understand REW about how best to approach measurements if one’s core interest is the crossover region and phase/timing. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not that bothered about a db here and there on a response plot, a speaker is good or bad long before that to my ears and can largely be corrected to taste by room position (and obviously choosing the right speaker for a room), partnering equipment etc. With these two I’m more interested to understand what the BBC got for their mid-70s £100k (£1m+) as I understand they paid considerable attention to phase and time, and my suspicion is it is there that a speaker is good and bad for me. I certainly tend not to like speakers with large distances between drivers etc and as stated I am very sensitive to crossovers and can always become distracted by a bad one.

Interesting. My kef 101's have a -2db point of 90db, with a 12 db per octave (sealed enclosures). That means ~12 db down by 40-45 hz. Yet they are full, 0 db down, by ear, at these 40-45hz. It is indeed where the room mode kicks in.

What is missing a bit is 50-60 hz bass. The 101's are known to not-have a bass hump, so I am intrigued by trying a proper bass-humped LS3/5A's in this (largish) room. E. Strauss on the link you gave says this "hump" is around 130hz... I thought it was lower.

BTW my favourite mode of listening with these is not dead on center, but a bit on the side, observing, almost watching these huge stage and air present in the room.

I did own a pair of Kef Ref 101s for a very short while when they were on close-out in the early ‘80s, I think it might have been after I’d sold my original JR149s and kind of missed them. I can’t remember much about them other than they were cute little things, had horrible spring clip cable connectors (I was starting to get all fancy there), were in a lovely light veneer, and had an LED warning light on the front that I never got to see turn on, which surprised me as I played them quite loud. An interesting speaker. How has the rubber woofer gasket/suspension thing held up over the years? I’d be interested to know if they are still airtight (I need to test my JR149 cabs for this too as the end-caps can leak after time).

The Stereophile review implies the LS3/5A bump is at 130Hz, which is a bit higher than I thought too (I thought 100Hz, which is typical small speaker boost and the usual bass control point on amps IIRC). I suspect this works to the LS3/5A’s favour as described in the blog as the bump stops them sounding thin in the upper bass as you pull them out far enough to find that 40Hz node. I suspect you are where I am with the 149s in that you need wall proximity to lift all of the bass, move them further out and they start to sound forward a lean in a way the LS3/5As don’t.

One of the key subjective differences between the two is the LS3/5A definitely sounds like it has a ‘saddle’ response. The JR149 has a lot more mid-band energy, it pushes snares, sax vocal etc more forward and that start to get real thin real fast as you pull them out. I’ve set my JR149s up for what I think is the best crossover between drivers I can achieve, i.e. I really dialled in to that whole 1-5kHz range and got that the best it can be to my ears and let the hi-hats etc fall wherever they landed. As such my 149s seem subjectively a little smoother over the drum kit metalwork range, but they sound perfectly balanced, everything is there in the top. I can’t assume this is ‘right’ though as my pair have been so extensively rebuilt (they have the exact same Falcon drivers as the LS3/5As and the crossover has been refreshed, which is no easy thing to settle on 149s as there seem to be some component value changes over the years, my pair actually being mismatched!).

Here’s my two cents of aimless rambling. I’ve had my Falcons from new for about 18 months now. The dedicated listening room is about 14 x 12 feet, and I have them firing across the room, so there is about 8 feet between listener and speaker.

I’ve tried LS3/5as in the past, specifically a 1986 Spendor, which were then current. At the time I passed on these despite their strengths. They lacked the punch of the Falcons - or other designs - that Tony refers to above. I also have a hunch that maybe Falcon have been through a learning curve with production of the LS3/5a. I passed on an early pair with SN below 100 after a home audition, the HF sounded detached. Although the pair I have at present in Burr Walnut are standard crossover, they sound satisfyingly seamless across the frequency range than either the Spendor or early Falcon. I’m tempted - but hesitant - about changing to gold crossover.

The bass hump annoyed me at first, but careful time consuming placement and moving from a heavy, single column stand to an open frame Kan 2 stand appears to have alleviated the problem. They also sound more open on the Kan stand. I doubt whether this is a universal truth, as I think speaker stand choice will depend on so many factors including the type of floor surface they are placed on. Ours is 170yr old Norfolk tile - i.e. no give.

So what is it about them that I find so rewarding? First thing is lack of paranoia, there is nothing about how they sound that annoys or distracts me; they let me get on with the business of listening to a very wide range of music. I have an equally divided CD/LP collection of about 4,000 titles, with a prevalence of all forms of electroacoustic, improvisation, modern and free jazz, chamber and string quartets. Rock and full scale classical is secondary - if these were my primary concerns I may well have opted for something else, although the rock and classical I do play through them is hardly lacking (Robert Craft conducting Edgar Varese on vinyl sounded stunning last night). I’m also hearing subtle detail in well known recordings that I haven’t been too aware of. I think this aspect is probably down to their non-emphatic, or linear, frequency response. I also find them very convincing with timbre.

They are also excellent at archive recordings. Although I’ve had the Harry Smith Folk Archive on CD for about 20 years I’ve finally got the time to get to grips with it. These are late 1920s recordings predominantly from shellac 78s and can sound harsh. But the Falcons are rendering them very listenable, in fact frighteningly so.

I think Tony’s comments above cover most of the ground. All I can say is after owning many speakers that have an annoying thumb print, or character, that has got in the way of me listening to some of my favourite artists, (SBLs made John Coltrane sound like he was playing a Kazoo which is unacceptable to me even though I rate other aspects of that speaker), so far the Falcons have proven to be an absolute pleasure.

I’ve had my Falcons from new for about 18 months now.

Interesting you feel the Falcons have changed over production. What serial number (roughly) are yours? Mine are mid-500s, I don’t know how old that makes them as I bought second hand. They have the more recent long silver binding posts but are certainly standard ‘silver label’ crossovers.

One would hope an LS3/5A was an LS3/5A. The BBC spec is tight enough not to need pair-matching, i.e. if one broke in a studio they’d just go and get another, it didn’t matter what make or colour it was! Any two should be a pair, though I don’t know if they mixed 15 and 11 Ohm pairs up! There are certainly many, many mismatched ex-BBC pairs floating around as a result. Same with LS5/8s etc. A friend has a “pair” and they have some visual differences beyond non matching serials. Still sound like a pair with a good solid image etc though and I think their Quad amps stayed with the speakers, i.e. share the serial, but I can’t remember.

I don’t think they have changed per se, I think production across the board has become more consistent. I know for a fact that the original very early pair I auditioned were returned to Falcon to be measured and rectified, I believe they were a rogue pair. Don’t get me wrong, I have every respect and confidence in Falcon. Excellence is how well companies deal with problems and aberrations. It happens.

My current pair are Summer 2019 and in the late 700s. It was a pair in the 500s I auditioned that changed my mind - sublime. I have yet to hear a gold version. I have toyed with the idea of changing my second system from Sonus Faber Signums (which work well in the living room on a Bryston B60R and every digital source available inc AV thrown at them) to Falcon LS3/5a Gold. Then on special occasions I could LS3/5a stack!

I don’t think they have changed per se, I think production across the board has become more consistent. I know for a fact that the original very early pair I auditioned were returned to Falcon to be measured and rectified, I believe they were a rogue pair. Don’t get me wrong, I have every respect and confidence in Falcon. Excellence is how well companies deal with problems and aberrations. It happens.

I don't see any evidence of the design or construction changing, but I wouldn't doubt that they've become better at making B110s that consistently meet LS3/5A spec.

One thing I’d love to establish is what exactly is ‘LS3/5A spec’ when it comes to B110s? I assume Falcon are producing at that side of the bell-curve. I’m curious as to what that means for my JR149s, i.e. does an ‘LS3/5A spec’ B110 help or hinder them? I’ve found loads of reference to this selection process and how hard it was for Kef to meet, but I have absolutely no idea what criteria exactly was being selected from a measurement perspective.

Here are some size comparisons for interest:

50628156818_07e401125b_b.jpg

JR149 & LS3/5A

48979482338_30a2090d08_b.jpg

JR149 & Spendor S3/5R

The JR149 looks a lot bigger, but a fair bit of that is the crossover base, end caps and foam, i.e. not cabinet volume, though I suspect they are a bit bigger (and obviously don’t have the crossover taking up space in there). The Spendors pack a noticeably bigger bass-mid into their little box. Every cm matters a lot at this small size as obviously you get it at the edge which equates to a good bit more surface area.

One would hope an LS3/5A was an LS3/5A. The BBC spec is tight enough not to need pair-matching, i.e. if one broke in a studio they’d just go and get another, it didn’t matter what make or colour it was! Any two should be a pair

Certainly correct with the BBC or ITV but Kef decided to be different with their Raymond Cooke examples. They used MDF for cabinets instead of Baltic Birch Ply and they did sound a little different. I never came across any in studios though.

Certainly correct with the BBC or ITV but Kef decided to be different with their Raymond Cooke examples. They used MDF for cabinets instead of Baltic Birch Ply and they did sound a little different. I never came across any in studios though.

That is interesting, I didn’t realise that. No ply cab = not an LS3/5A IMHO. The BBC cabinet research was totally obsessive and even specified beach battens etc. It is a very, very rigid specification, deviate from it at all and what’s left may be a very nice little speaker, but it isn’t an LS3/5A. Here is the BBC LS3/5A white paper in .pdf form, it is a fascinating read.

Further reading on the BBC site here: Factors In The Design Of Loudspeaker Cabinets and Design Of The High Level Studio Monitor LS5/8. There is more out there too, all very worth reading.

PS I’d like to get hold of the actual BBC tender spec, i.e. the build spec sent out to Spendor, Chartwell, Rogers, Audiomaster, RAM, Goodmans etc. That will have all of the materials, plans, sizes etc etc. It would be interesting to see.

I did own a pair of Kef Ref 101s for a very short while when they were on close-out in the early ‘80s, I think it might have been after I’d sold my original JR149s and kind of missed them. I can’t remember much about them other than they were cute little things, had horrible spring clip cable connectors (I was starting to get all fancy there), were in a lovely light veneer, and had an LED warning light on the front that I never got to see turn on, which surprised me as I played them quite loud. An interesting speaker. How has the rubber woofer gasket/suspension thing held up over the years? I’d be interested to know if they are still airtight (I need to test my JR149 cabs for this too as the end-caps can leak after time).

The Stereophile review implies the LS3/5A bump is at 130Hz, which is a bit higher than I thought too (I thought 100Hz, which is typical small speaker boost and the usual bass control point on amps IIRC). I suspect this works to the LS3/5A’s favour as described in the blog as the bump stops them sounding thin in the upper bass as you pull them out far enough to find that 40Hz node. I suspect you are where I am with the 149s in that you need wall proximity to lift all of the bass, move them further out and they start to sound forward a lean in a way the LS3/5As don’t.

One of the key subjective differences between the two is the LS3/5A definitely sounds like it has a ‘saddle’ response. The JR149 has a lot more mid-band energy, it pushes snares, sax vocal etc more forward and that start to get real thin real fast as you pull them out. I’ve set my JR149s up for what I think is the best crossover between drivers I can achieve, i.e. I really dialled in to that whole 1-5kHz range and got that the best it can be to my ears and let the hi-hats etc fall wherever they landed. As such my 149s seem subjectively a little smoother over the drum kit metalwork range, but they sound perfectly balanced, everything is there in the top. I can’t assume this is ‘right’ though as my pair have been so extensively rebuilt (they have the exact same Falcon drivers as the LS3/5As and the crossover has been refreshed, which is no easy thing to settle on 149s as there seem to be some component value changes over the years, my pair actually being mismatched!).

The drive units and rubber suspension are in perfect order. The 101's use a different B110, the SP1057 and not the SP1003 used in most other versions. IIRC it was after Kef were banned (?) from making whole approved LS3/5A's, they decided to make something higher spec-ed. The power these little cuties can take is just improbable.

So you had the X/O totally rebuilt? I bought falcon's cap set for the 101s, but Yair of Teddy Pardo's, who did this re-capping for me, told me the inside X/O had a different layout, so I trusted this in his hands and don't know exactly what was done. I think there are several X/O versions for the 101's alone.

Apart from that music flowing in the room, in a more moving (ahem) and convincing way than most imaging beasts, that purity of tone is something that I miss in all other speakers, even if I could be allured for a day or two. The warmth of a sax, a drum, an oboe or an electric guitar is so organic, it's not a warmth imposed over, but glows intrinsically from within, if that makes any sense.

Omer.

Here are some size comparisons for interest:

50628156818_07e401125b_b.jpg

JR149 & LS3/5A

48979482338_30a2090d08_b.jpg

JR149 & Spendor S3/5R

The JR149 looks a lot bigger, but a fair bit of that is the crossover base, end caps and foam, i.e. not cabinet volume, though I suspect they are a bit bigger (and obviously don’t have the crossover taking up space in there). The Spendors pack a noticeably bigger bass-mid into their little box. Every cm matters a lot at this small size as obviously you get it at the edge which equates to a good bit more surface area.

The JR149s look excellent, esp with those grilles. What’s the theory on why they are so much better value than LS3/5a and go for much less second hand?

advertisement

Back