advertisement

Getting the most from my Elicit-R

Reflektor

pfm Member
I recently picked up an as new Elicit-R for a price that I couldn't refuse, having been completely swayed by its outstanding reviews I couldn't hand my money over fast enough.

Now I'm trying to get the most from it, as initial impressions are pleasing, but perhaps bass light. It's only had around 2 dozen hours to run in so far - how long is it likely to take to fully run in and can I expect the difference to be night and day?

My sources are RP6 and Marrantz 63ki CDP through Neat Mystiques.

For future reference, can you recommend me complimentary speakers to inject some real drive and bass into the soundstage?

(1) run-in time: ~ 300 hrs IMO based on my REGA OSIRIS. it was not a straight-line event ...for a long extended break-in period it was a very flatline uptick trend for the first 75% and WTF? ... and finally then, a rapid blossoming after-all.

(2) bass-light fix: IMO, audition new cables --- both new ICs and new speaker cables, but I stuck with the REGA mains cable (it bested a lot of $$ contenders and pretenders with the OSIRIS and ISIS BUT not with other non-REGA kit... ??) . The NORDOSTS worked magic and the differences were not insignificant

(3) another influence that worked for me based on a dealer recommendation: your audio stand. he loaned me a bespoke custom-made NAIM FRAIM clone ... no, not the OEM brand name unit but modelled on it. It made made a large improvement (and again, the differences were not insignificant ....so go figger!) and so I ate my skeptical words of up-front doubt and criticism on that one ( .... but gleefully)

FWIW .....

It isn't really a bass light amp, so I'd look at some other things. Cables might make some differences so have a look. Is it bass-light across both sources? Small changes on the playing weight of the cartridge can make big differences. I'd also try repositioning your speakers. Again, very small changes can make a big difference. Worth persevering with, I'd have thought as it's a very fine amp.

Thanks both. Interesting to read about 300hrs running in time. I'm around 20hrs in and beginning to notice the difference in sound when the amp has warmed up well.

Have been playing with speaker position and finding good results, am going to persevere with positioning and enjoy the amp coming to life more as it runs in.

Thanks both. Interesting to read about 300hrs running in time. I'm around 20hrs in and beginning to notice the difference in sound when the amp has warmed up well.

Have been playing with speaker position and finding good results, am going to persevere with positioning and enjoy the amp coming to life more as it runs in.

Last two tips

(1) : turn on the electronics ahead of time - warm up the amp AND digital source cdp before you crank it up. I turn on the amp (and cdp) for a MINIMUM two hours (4+ preferred) and the sonic performance improves noticeably.
Bass tighter with more tight slam, sibilance / edge (if any) disappears

(2) dedicated mains power line wherever possible . Do it if you can - This was BIG !!!! .... Arguably more influential than all of the tweaks already listed. Contemporaneous with this, I replaced the wall plugs with audiophile grade receptacles - another extension of the same theme. FWIW, a separate line for your amp and another separate line for your source(s) also was another further improvement, but admittedly somewhat less dramatic than the "wow " moment with the initial insertion of the initial mains line .

advertisement

Back