advertisement

Getting started with vinyl

Stuby
Enjoy your purchase the LP12 is an excellent and very enjoyable turntable

Alan

Yes, you could have done a lot worse. You may find this is just the start of a long and fascinating journey....there is much to be discovered (such as the name of your cartridge!).
And just think, because analogue is officially obsolete, it can't suddenly become obsolete (if you see what I mean.) Compare and contrast with what is going to happen to 'early adopters' in the ongoing digital wars.

I'm really glad that you are happy with your choice. You can be even happier that the first comment is always "go and get it rebuilt and set up properly", and you don't need to worry about that :) If the cover is scratched or even just a bit cloudy then PEEK metal polish will work wonders. You can get it from Amazon, and it is recommended for use on acrylic.

Best wishes, John

The plinth has taken a few bumps and bruises along the way and the platter could do with a polish

What you can do with the plinth is fill the dents and spray it black. You need to do it properly but it ends up looking like a new black plinth. Or you could do it gloss black, which looks stunning!

Linn lacquer the edge of the platter so ordinarily you shouldn't have to do anything to it, the lacquer stops the platter tarnishing. At least that's the idea. Some things will go through it though, nicotine seems pretty good at it. Also the lacquer itself turns yellow over time, especially on older platters, and you can end up with a manky-looking platter. If that happens the only way to get it looking good it to take the lacquer off.

Takes about an hour working around it with Brasso on a soft cloth. What you end up with is a platter that shines almost like chrome! Yes, it does pick up fingerprints and marks easily but a quick wipe is all it takes to clean it again. The platter does not corrode or fall apart! My platter has not had any lacquer on it for twenty years. I'm looking at it right now, I can see a few smudges and fingerprints on it but it still looks miles better that grotty lacquer and that platter has not been cleaned for at least two or three years.

advertisement

Back