advertisement

Getting started with vinyl

People are entitled to recommend the Sondek to a new turntable enthusiast, and others are entitled to advise caution about it, or make other recommendations. If you don't think something is worth the money, why not say so? No hard feelings.

Absolutely, you should certainly state your case, I'm just suggesting that you post the long argument above on your own thread. That way it is searchable in the archive, and it allows others to respond to it clearly. Otherwise you might be accused of hiding your argument in the undergrowth of recommendation threads, at least on pinkish (if not on the Linn champagne-drinkers forum).

Also, I would be interested in more information about your improvised tether, and how it compares with all the interesting non-Linn products for modifying the sub-chassis etc.

I also made the shift from LP12 Circus Ekos 2 Lingo 2 and Akiva to a Amadeus GTA/ Cadenza Blue very much a fit and forget type thing and I could not go back to the LP12 now. Personally I like the reassurance of the solid aluminium of the GTA. However I agree with Mr Pig it need not be expensive a Rega Planar 3 will be great and the 250 is a very good tonearm indeed. If times force me to sell the GTA that is probably what I will buy

Damn thread :mad: got me looking at turntables on ebay again and I ended up buying a Technics 1200 mk2 looks minty and only used by a HIFI buff £216, I really dont need another turntable just hope I can smuggle it past SWMBO when it comes:eek::D

Alan

Nah dont be I love Vinyl really and I allways wish I bought a SL1200 so Ive got it to play with now;)

Alan

Damn thread :mad: got me looking at turntables on ebay again and I ended up buying a Technics 1200...

If you do one thing to it, get the power supply out from inside and put it in a separate box. That has been the most important improvement to my various 1200's, and it costs almost nothing to do.

Absolutely, you should certainly state your case, I'm just suggesting that you post the long argument above on your own thread. That way it is searchable in the archive, and it allows others to respond to it clearly. Otherwise you might be accused of hiding your argument in the undergrowth of recommendation threads, at least on pinkish (if not on the Linn champagne-drinkers forum).

Also, I would be interested in more information about your improvised tether, and how it compares with all the interesting non-Linn products for modifying the sub-chassis etc.

Here you go then:
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=123622

Regardless of what TT you eventually get - its cost will soon pale into insignificance compared to what you will spend on vinyl each year.

You have been warned! Its a very addictive, and very pleasurable and yet very expensive hobby to get into... I love vinyl but must admit I have spent more than my TT in the past year on vinyl alone.

Are you closer to making a decision then Stubby?

Why don't you just go and listen to a £1K deck like the Rega RP6 + cart? It's carried by a reasonable number of dealers; minimal set up; and popular.

There is a chance you may love it. There is a chance it may disappoint. The only definitive way of knowing is going to have a listen.

If you do one thing to it, get the power supply out from inside and put it in a separate box. That has been the most important improvement to my various 1200's, and it costs almost nothing to do.

Good tip Sondek I have read about this before so Ill give is a go.
What sort of benefit is there in the following
1, changing the arm for a Rega or possibly a Jelco?
2, changing the support feet?
3, changing the mat?

Alan

Good tip Sondek I have read about this before so Ill give is a go.

I contributed to a couple of threads about this here or at AoS. Including several photographs of what I do to my decks.

What sort of benefit is there in the following
1, changing the arm for a Rega or possibly a Jelco?

Rega, not much as far as I can tell. The original arm is surprisingly good as long as it's not been damaged by a clumsy DJ. Replacement stock arms can be found very cheaply. Installing them is a little involved but not at all beyond the average botcher. Jelco may be a different matter. I haven't tried one. My Ekos II seems to reveal some of detail that the stock arm doesn't.

2, changing the support feet?

Not much as far as I could tell. Site the deck as you would any other proper turntable and it should be fine on standard feet.

3, changing the mat?

Again hard to say, but I recommend the 5mm thick Technics rubber mat for two reasons: it damps the bell-like platter quite well and it adds significant weight. The problem with it is that it lacks an indentation at the underside edge where the platter itself has a lip. A scalpel can fix that, but it's quite hard work, and you need to try to keep weight evenly distributed, so go carefully. I also put a thin (2mm) foam mat on top of the rubber one. The thin grey foam sheets that Linn includes in its new electronics boxes are perfect to cut a nice circle in.

Thanks Muzz great link its a regular Teccy fest in there isnt it :D

Thanks Sondek Ive heard other people say the stock arm is very good.
I dont really think the rega looks right on the SL12X0 IMO so if I do change it it would be a jelco or similar.
Ill defo knock up a remote power supply.
The deck Im getting looks like it has a thick rubber mat on it so meybe he has allready upgraded it :) http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=251119151954

Sorry to thread crap OP :eek:

Alan

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes that looks like the thick Technics mat. It may or may not need a step cut in it to accommodate the metal lip of the platter. You'll know when you examine it. The goal is to ensure that the edge of the mat is not slightly raised.

Well I demo'd a number of options today: Rega RP3 with and without the PSU and RP6. I had hoped that this would be my starting point on the road to vinyl Nirvana, unfortunately neither did it for me I'm afraid.

I then listened to what would be possible with a used LP12 setup. Sorry to all those LP12 bashers, but this was more like it.. I am now going to be the proud owner of a somewhat unloved LP12, with Cirkus, Valhalla, Nima arm, cheap cart (name escapes me) and Rega Fono Mini (which sounded great for the money). She's not good looking but she goes like the clappers.

Thanks to all for advice. Wish me luck, I'm going in!

good luck - with vinyl getting started is easy...it's the stopping that's the problem ;)

LP12 / Nima sounds like one hell of a start - enjoy!

ps - what's wrong with the cosmetics? most things are easily repaired.

The plinth has taken a few bumps and bruises along the way and the platter could do with a polish; the issues are purely cosmetic though.

The plinth has taken a few bumps and bruises along the way and the platter could do with a polish; the issues are purely cosmetic though.

The platter as supplied by Linn is lacquered. It should only require 'a polish' if it is incredibly filthy, or if some idiot has stripped the lacquer and applied metal polish. If the latter is the case, you will either be polishing forever, or you need to think about re-lacquering.

Nevertheless. I wish you joy from your purchase! :)

Mull

advertisement

Back