advertisement

Getting started with vinyl

Well tempered plus Phono cards for your maim pre. The well tempered is sublime and if you buy 2ns hand you'll never lose cash.

You could get an LP12 with Ittok/Lingo and a nice cart for not that much more than £1k these days, and it would have a nice synergy with your Naim set-up, but I expect the anti-Linn propaganda will prove overwhelming here.

Setting up and maintaining a TT and vinyl is a pain in the butt, but well worth it - and this is coming from someone who used to be severely sceptical of analogue

What he said! And that's coming from a partially sighted dude so it's even more energy-intensive trying to see if the stylus/vinyl is clean and all the setup issues are sorted. Let alone cueing up. Who cares when it sounds good though - I have a BAD needle habit :)

Thanks all for the responses. I think the consensus is it's worth trying in the context of my setup. In summary, my best options to consider are:

- Rega RP3 new, or good used deals on P3 with TT-PSU
- Gyro used
- LP12/Ittok/Lingo
- Well Tempered Amadeus (future)

I'm not confident enough at this stage to take on a deck that will require a lot of fettling, which probably puts the LP12 options further down the list.

I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond, I think this is good advice. Lets see what I can un-earth over the next few weeks.

Thanks all,
Stuart

You could get an LP12 with Ittok/Lingo and a nice cart for not that much more than £1k these days, and it would have a nice synergy with your Naim set-up, but I expect the anti-Linn propaganda will prove overwhelming here.

Indeed, PE above has started his campaign and will be moving on to an affront on Naim I would think.

At this stage I am happy to lose detail to get that analogue feel back. Will I be able to achieve this within my budget?

Yes, of course.

Don't listen to the snobs who say that you need to spend thousands to get a record player worth having, that's just nonsense. Even something like a used Rega Planar3 for £150 will make great music.

The advantage of buying new is that you can go and try the things before you commit. If I was buying a new deck within your budget I'd buy a Rega. Yes, I know there are plenty of alternatives but Rega are such a good company who make great products and offer superb backup. You can't go wrong with a Rega turntable.

If you want a used one then you've got huge choice but you need to take care. If you buy a deck and something goes wrong, can you still get parts? Can it be upgraded? Will parts be a problem in future?

While the LP12 is more tweaky than some decks it scores very highly on the above. Because the overall design of the deck has remained unchanged for forty years and there are so many out there you will always be able to get parts, get it serviced and upgrade it. I'm not saying it's a better option than a new Rega or other turntable but it gives you an idea of some of the things you might want to consider of you're thinking of a used deck.

"Buy this quick its a classic"

If you like tweaking get an old Thorens TD150 or 160 and soup it up. Either will take a better arm and both will sound good from the start, but respond well to some work.

If you sold your 555ps you could get an amazing vinyl front end. The system seems curiously imbalanced with a £4.5 psu for the dac, and a preamp much higher up the chain than the power amp.

Defiantly gone for the old flat earth front end first doctrine.:eek:
I would spend the money on a better power amp and speakers, the little Epos are a decent speaker but the rest of your system deserves better.

Well tempered plus Phono cards for your maim pre. The well tempered is sublime and if you buy 2ns hand you'll never lose cash.

Having just replaced my LP12 with a Well Tempered I'm inclined to agree 100%.

Simon

Well Tempered Simplex is about 1500 quid new, so you might just find one for under a grand used, although it has only been around for a short time, so you'ld be lucky. An Amadeus with a cheapo cartridge and phono stage will sound great but expect to pay over a grand.

You don't need to spend the whole grand though. Try a Technics 1200 for 200 quid. Also look at Technics SL-10 and SL-7.

Personally I've lost interest in my Sondek. All of my other decks make a fairer fist of playing tunes and beats:
deckstable_lowrez.jpg

A Sondek can be a good option if you are primarily interested in timbre and you don't mind paying for it to be set up if you can't do it right yourself.

Lovely collection sondek. Do the record cabinets reverberate at all, though? Or do you move the decks onto the wall shelf when in use? Also, what's the wood glue doing?!

Regards

73c.

Lovely collection sondek. Do the record cabinets reverberate at all, though? Or do you move the decks onto the wall shelf when in use? Also, what's the wood glue doing?!

Regards

73c.

Oh no don't ask about the woodglue-that is one of the seven questions of doom!

Very true but the op is missing the analogue sound of his cds3 and seems to like streaming.

The NDX and NDS are analogue sounding and therefore worthy of consideration

Regards

73c.

For the unfamiliar, there is no space on the unit for a proper record cleaning machine, so wood glue is used instead is it.

I haven't heard of anyone else treating records like this, but perhaps that is for another thread for another day there.

DS

The NDX and NDS are analogue sounding and therefore worthy of consideration

I have heard an NDX with a 555PS. This was good, but I still felt it lacked something when compared with my old CDS3. I have heard an NDS at a recent DR open day. Good as the NDS was, I also heard a top level LP12 on the same day and for me the vinyl was better. This is what really made me consider going down this route, albeit not with a top spec LP12 as I can't afford it!

I'm just looking for something more analogue without breaking the bank.

advertisement

Back