1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting back into HIFI

Discussion in 'audio' started by neilo7, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Bigbobby666

Bigbobby666 pfm Member

Doesn't look like it has a pre out which neilo7 would need to go into his actives - interesting little unit tho!

EDIT: The higher spec Marantz M-CR610 does tho.

2. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

You've not listened to Harbeth nor Sonus Faber, then:)

I had some actives, a Swedish brand. Never, never again. Hated all the wires, the artificially boosted bass and overemphasized treble, and the sheer inflexibility of the things. OK if an iThing to speaker is all you want, anything else and you'll need a proper preamp, so you may as well get an integrated and go down the more flexible route.

OK, rant over, and apologies for going off topic.

3. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

Consider getting yourself something with Spotify connect installed while you are looking for something new. Something not mentioned here is the single box solution from Yamaha called the R-N500.

Or find another streamer as a source and squeeze in an additional small box from Arcam called the irDAC. The sound from this DAC is excellent in a very small package (small enough to squeeze in that extra box unnoticed)

4. Bigbobby666

Bigbobby666 pfm Member

Yup had Sonus Faber, naim, dynaudio, rega... Not looked back since going active... Each to their own tho I guess!

5. steve_1979

steve_1979 pfm Member

Check out the AVI DM5 active speakers (£700) and a suitable DAC/pre-amp (under £300).

I have a pair and they sound incredible.

6. neilo7

neilo7 One day I'll stop upgrading

I've already purchased my active speakers (KEF x300a wireless version). If they work well with the laptop then that's fine as they have a decent DAC in them. Although I'm still looking for a Streamer/network player that will sit hidden away and that can be controlled via phone/tablet. Thanks for all the suggestions I will look into them all.

7. Bigbobby666

Bigbobby666 pfm Member

Mac mini, with J River and JRemote for iPad

8. Bigbobby666

Bigbobby666 pfm Member

Nelio ... what was up with the Kefs? Not enough oomph?

9. bonesetter

bonesetter pfm Member

Second time in a row - dull & boring

I found Naim to sound like you're sitting in a pub with a big sub under the seats somewhere and a few tiny satellite speakers dotted round the ceiling

Or on higher volumes a night club sound

My mom likes her Niam all in one little 'big sounding' neat box in the corner

Massively overpriced and totally unmusical

10. bonesetter

bonesetter pfm Member

This brings cheer to a dull day

'effortlessly communicates music like no other brand.'

'most audiophiles stick with Naim.'

Oh dear

11. neilo7

neilo7 One day I'll stop upgrading

Not so much a lack of oomph more a massive hassle setting it all up.
    Plugs and wires everywhere. Not what I had in mind. So going to settle for a one box and a pair of passive speakers.

12. Bigbobby666

Bigbobby666 pfm Member

Fair enough... I find my actives mean i have less boxes, but i guess an all in one amp / pre / streamer then speaker wire to speakers is pretty simple too! What all in one are you going for?

13. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Pricy, yes it can be unless buying second hand.

Totally unmusical.... Joni Mitchel 'Conversation' has me in tears..........

14. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Burn the witch :D

15. gary yeowell

gary yeowell pfm Member

No other hifi brand creates this level of discussion. Sure is a sign that the gear is seriously good at what it does.

16. Bigbobby666

Bigbobby666 pfm Member

yup! I have the DM5's.... I was a massive box and speaker swapper... I've had the same set up since February... says it all really.

17. bonesetter

bonesetter pfm Member

She could do that on an mp3 iPlayer though :)