advertisement

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
I have a recording of this from the SACD as one single track with no cuts. I must say the quality is very good.
The vocals sound more enunciated and there are drum parts and background instruments I don't remember hearing before. I'm sure my mind isn't playing tricks. I know this music so well already. Steve Hackett described the recording as boxed in and claustrophobic. I agree, it does come across like that but I can't say exactly why. It is an excellent work nevertheless.

If you have a surround sound system, I find the sound quality can be even better if you can get the surround version.
Not everyones taste, but I find it's generally much clearer.

Never really got into Gabriel era genesis, despite being a fan of bands like Rush and jethro Tull. Where would people suggest I start?

Where would people suggest I start?

Right here IMO. Their best album by many, many miles to my mind. Always been a guilty pleasure and I’ve owned my copy (UK 1st press with the mains hum!) since I was at school.

PS FWIW I heard some fairly recent CD remix of it and thought it was terrible. Just sounded so wrong to me. The original mix and especially original Porky cut vinyl sounds superb. So right through the Tannoys! For digital I’d pick the original UK or Japanese CD issue in the fat-case with the border around the front picture. Original mix and natural dynamics.

Never really got into Gabriel era genesis, despite being a fan of bands like Rush and jethro Tull. Where would people suggest I start?

Selling England by the Pound is the only good one - other Gabriel era albums are a load of pish IMO :D. Things got much better after he left, at least until Abacab :(

A Gabriel era epic is Suppers Ready.
There's an excellent/bizarre video on you tube the displays why Gabriel was unique.
Search for Suppers Ready Melody - it's 23min 55s.
I think this is the URL:

So 3 replies and 3 different options :) I guess I am asking which is the most accesible place to start rather than the best, for somone who has bounced off it in the past.

I'll complicate things further.

The first five Gabriel era Genesis, proper albums ( I don't include fGtR ), plus the first two after his departure, are to me still the best. However, while the Lamb is a good album, it's far from my favourite.
The most accessible albums IMHO are Selling England and Foxtrot. The latter goes from single song perfection to whole-side prog extravagance. Coming in equal third are Nursery Cryme, the best songs are superb but there are fillers too, and the non-Gabriel Trick of the Tail.
After that it's a wasteland until their well crafted, poppy eponymous and nothing since then.

Last edited:
Maybe try Genesis Live

It predates Selling England and doesn't have Supper's Ready on it but the 5 tracks span the first 3 proper albums. If none of that floats your boat then I doubt much else would.

For my sins in my teenage years I was quite a fan, but The Lamb I never got on with so is the album I know least well. Don't think I've listened to it in the almost 40 years since then but it seemed to be trying too hard and the concept held little interest for me so I gave up on it. The CD I bought (that was loaned to a mate and never returned) sounded quite flat IIRC.

I guess the obvious noob recommendation would be for Seconds Out. Post-Gabriel, but a good live greatest hits album and very well recorded compared to anything other than TLLDOB from the era it covers. I very actively dislike what the band became later, so view my recommendations with this as the cut-off point.

Selling England probably a good starter. Then Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme....just my opinon.

A Gabriel era epic is Suppers Ready.
There's an excellent/bizarre video on you tube the displays why Gabriel was unique.
Search for Suppers Ready Melody - it's 23min 55s.
I think this is the URL:

The Shepperton/ Oxford video of the same is much better imho

So 3 replies and 3 different options :) I guess I am asking which is the most accesible place to start rather than the best, for somone who has bounced off it in the past.
If we're talking Gabriel era only then I'd personally start with Selling England - if you don't like that then I'm doubtful that you'd like anything from that period.
Post Gabriel would have to be Trick Of The Tail which easily matches any of there earlier output and features vocals from someone who could actually sing.

The first three proper Genesis albums - Trespass, Nursery Cryme, and Foxtrot find their apotheosis in the fourth; Selling England by The Pound. So if you start with Selling England, and like it, then you can go back and discover the delights of the first three. All highly recommended.

For me, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway lies somewhat apart from the rest of Genesis' output and should be considered that way.

Post Gabriel saw the excellent Trick Of The Tail swiftly followed by Wind & Wuthering - Both highly recommended and If you like one you'll probably also like the other (they could easily have been issued as a double album).

After that, a low point with And Then there Were Three. I would definitely not start with this one. However, the next album was better - much better; Duke. Another concept album but with some wonderful songs and a high point for Phil Collins, which probably just proves how a marriage break-up is such fertile ground for great songwriting (see also PC's first solo effort, Face Value).

And then came Abacab. I have mixed feelings here. Personally, it's an album that takes me to a very specific time and place in my life. Not all for good though. Here is where Genesis really started to change to something more commercial. But there's still a glimmer of the Genesis of old, so I would not be without it. Beyond this album there's very little of interest to me. The shapes album was the last one I bothered with.

I agree with foxtrot and also love trespass which has some great songs too. Lamb I found a bit rubbish and self-indulgent, think clutching at straws after the brilliance of Script and Fugazi

Right here IMO. Their best album by many, many miles to my mind. Always been a guilty pleasure and I’ve owned my copy (UK 1st press with the mains hum!) since I was at school.

PS FWIW I heard some fairly recent CD remix of it and thought it was terrible. Just sounded so wrong to me. The original mix and especially original Porky cut vinyl sounds superb. So right through the Tannoys! For digital I’d pick the original UK or Japanese CD issue in the fat-case with the border around the front picture. Original mix and natural dynamics.
Totally agree with the Porky prime cut copy, I also have this one along with a Porky version of Genesis Live, also worth a punt IMO!

I guess the obvious noob recommendation would be for Seconds Out. Post-Gabriel, but a good live greatest hits album and very well recorded compared to anything other than TLLDOB from the era it covers.

Was about to reply with the same but beaten to it! Seconds Out is a great live outing.
If an earlier studio album, I'd start with Selling England by the Pound, like several above.

If you can find a copy I actually like the box set Genesis Archive 1967–75, that would be a decent intro to Gabriel era stuff.

BTW has anyone heard a decent copy of Trespass - I have an original vinyl, love the songs but the audio quality is pretty poor, wonder if the masters were poor as well?

Was about to reply with the same but beaten to it! Seconds Out is a great live outing.
If an earlier studio album, I'd start with Selling England by the Pound, like several above.

To my mind Lamb Lies Down just stands up better than Selling England, let alone the likes of Foxtrot. It has an edge and a punch to it that is missing in the early more pastoral stuff. Even though it is that dreaded ‘70s format of a concept double album it is approachable as the songs are fairly short and the instrumental passages just seem more ‘modern’ to me. It has Bank’s best keyboard work on it IMO and the bass playing is really good and edgy at times too.

BTW has anyone heard a decent copy of Trespass - I have an original vinyl, love the songs but the audio quality is pretty poor, wonder if the masters were poor as well?

I’ve no idea how one would get a drum sound as bad as Trespass, Nursery Cryme or Foxtrot if you planed the recording for months. it sounds like Collins is playing some damp cardboard boxes and a washing up bowl with a fish in an airing cupboard. I’m obviously a record dealer so I’ve had several ‘pink scroll’ copies of Trespass and Nursery Cryme pass through, and I’ve still got a 1/1 matrix copy of Foxtrot. They are not good recordings, though the attempts to remaster and improve them only makes them far worse IMO. The remastered CDs from I think the late ‘90s are just hideous. The recordings are what they are and I’d go for bog-standard ‘Hatter’ Charisma label reissues from the mid to late ‘70s myself. Not worth paying out LOLprice for ‘pink scroll’ 1st press on sound quality grounds IMO. Maybe just a little more punch, but the recordings are what they are and can’t be fixed. You can find the same matrixes for a lot less on the Hatter label design.

Selling England is the first reasonably well recorded one, Lamb Lies Down is excellent, as is Trick Of The Tail and Seconds Out, which may even be the best. I have no comment about the others as I’d totally lost interest, though maybe avoid And Then There Were Three on vinyl as it plays for a very long time and IIRC has no dynamic range as a result. I remember buying it when it came out and thinking it was awful (both as an album and sonically), traded it in a couple of weeks later. That was my jumping off point, plus a whole new music was happening at that point and I was approaching the right age to appreciate it.

I still really enjoy Lamb Lies Down now, it is the one out of my small amount remaining Genesis vinyl (Foxtrot, Lamb, Trick, Seconds Out) that comes out for a play most regularly. They have a place and remind me of discovering this music at school as an early teenager (I’d have been 13-14 when Trick Of The Tail came out).

advertisement

Back