advertisement

Genesis P-Orridge RIP

Sadly not unexpected, he’d apparently been very ill for a long time. Certainly one of the most significant outliers of the avant garde music and arts scene in living memory. I’m disappointed I never got to see TG live, they were the real deal for sure. RIP.

I saw TG when they reformed and Psychic TV a number of times. Both bands had a distinct approach to music.

I spoke briefly to Gen at gigs and interviewed him at length in the house he had in Beck Road, Hackney. It was an interesting place and some of what he achieved was striking and influential. There was something that didn't sit well at a personal level though. His manipulation towards me was pretty obvious.

I interviewed his wife Paula later on about an acid house project she was involved with. She came around to my flat with a friend and began screaming at me when I turned on the tape recorder. She didn't like my piece about Gen in NME apparently.

By way of a contrast Peter Christopherson aka Sleazy in TG was fantastic to deal with. I interviewed him and John Balance at their house about Coil. He was also great when I bumped into him in a pub a few years later. Sleazy was an enthusiast who wanted to know what you and others thought about the world.

I felt sad when Sleazy passed on. As for Gen ... well ... he has his own chapter in modern music.

Jack

Last edited:
Cosey's book very much echoes those thoughts, Jack.

Thanks for the happenings Gen, but I suspect this is one guy/gal that really wouldn't want to RIP.

'20 Jazz Funk Greats' was one of the most inaccurate LP titles ever. It must have come as a surprise to a few impulse buyers.

Rip

This is an amazing document of a highly improbable gig at a posh private school in 1980. Apparently one of the kids managed to book them without the school understanding what they were or what they were going to get! Low video quality but an amazing gig.

I still have the VHS of that gig. In the late 80s I worked for Anglia Water which was next to the school. Quite a twee little town and certainly not very TG

I went to see Psychic TV with Monte Cazazza and Leathernun in Stockholm 1984. It was called the Psychic Reunion Party. They had all made recordings at Gen’s record company Industrial music some years earlier. Leathernun had an UK underground hit with their single No Rule back then (1980?).
Gen also played live with Leathernun on Slow death (EP)
https://open.spotify.com/track/3bOOLzLtFE4VHhaoYoQGI3?si=svHTpNIKT-mX6WxaouOMTQ
I didn’t know what to expect of Psychic TV that evening. I went there to see Leathernun. I was pretty chocked :)
Gen’s wife was also in Psychic TV in Stockholm and I think it was their crying baby Gen held up in front of the audience. Stacks of TV sets on the scene showing unpleasent pictures/films. I was happy when it stopped and Leathernun went on stage, but they only played two songs, one together with co-writer Monte Cazazza (Busted kneecaps).
Psychic TV were recorded and put out for sale 1989:
https://www.discogs.com/Psychick-Television-A-Real-Swedish-Live-Show/master/18410
My son is now studying Audio Visual Production and liked a later Psychic TV track. I told him him that I saw them in the 80’ies and began to find stuff about Gen, Throbbing Gristle, Psychic TV, the cut ups
(that inspired Gen & Co)
etc. on the web and shared it with him. He was impressed and shared with his friends. Now I’m a cool dad ...or maybe just less uncool

Hull Band! A dude with an anti-establishment philosophy. Something that is frowned upon these days.

Let's not forget his amazing work with cEvin Key post Skinny Puppy. Not only on the Tear Garden but with Download.
His vocal performance on Downloads "The Eyes of Stanley Pain" was truly awe inspiring, that album was way ahead of its time, IMO closed a chapter with Puppy, who are, and still are, the most unique band in electronic music history and are still having musical repercussions to this day.

I went to see Psychic TV with Monte Cazazza and Leathernun in Stockholm 1984. It was called the Psychic Reunion Party. They had all made recordings at Gen’s record company Industrial music some years earlier. Leathernun had an UK underground hit with their single No Rule back then (1980?).
Gen also played live with Leathernun on Slow death (EP)
https://open.spotify.com/track/3bOOLzLtFE4VHhaoYoQGI3?si=svHTpNIKT-mX6WxaouOMTQ
I didn’t know what to expect of Psychic TV that evening. I went there to see Leathernun. I was pretty chocked :)
Gen’s wife was also in Psychic TV in Stockholm and I think it was their crying baby Gen held up in front of the audience. Stacks of TV sets on the scene showing unpleasent pictures/films. I was happy when it stopped and Leathernun went on stage, but they only played two songs, one together with co-writer Monte Cazazza (Busted kneecaps).
Psychic TV were recorded and put out for sale 1989:
https://www.discogs.com/Psychick-Television-A-Real-Swedish-Live-Show/master/18410
My son is now studying Audio Visual Production and liked a later Psychic TV track. I told him him that I saw them in the 80’ies and began to find stuff about Gen, Throbbing Gristle, Psychic TV, the cut ups
(that inspired Gen & Co)
etc. on the web and shared it with him. He was impressed and shared with his friends. Now I’m a cool dad ...or maybe just less uncool

advertisement

Back