advertisement

GB News Channel

A positive update from StopFundingHate:

After GB News was trailed as a “British Fox News”, thousands of #StopFundingHate supporters took action to encourage advertisers to steer clear of the "anti-woke" TV channel.

Now the controversial media outlet has revealed a staggering £30 million loss – while the CEO has repeatedly complained about the impact of #StopFundingHate on the channel’s business model.

From an early stage, there were clear and obvious warning signs about the likely direction of GB News – and sadly these initial concerns have been amply borne out.

Soon after the channel launched, one of its own contributors quit and accused GB News of “demonising trans people at every opportunity”. Just last month, the Board of Deputies of British Jews called them out for platforming “organisations that promote antisemitic conspiracy theories”. Earlier this month the broadcasting regulator Ofcom pulled them up for airing “materially misleading” statements about COVID vaccines.

So it’s no surprise that so many major advertisers have been avoiding GB News – but there are still some outliers, including Jet 2 Holidays, Virgin Media and Sky.

If you’re a customer of any of these companies, you can help by emailing or tweeting to encourage them to rethink their support for GB News.

Together we’re making toxic media unprofitable. Thankyou for supporting Stop Funding Hate,

Richard Wilson
Director
Stop Funding Hate

PS – if you’d like to help keep up the pressure, you can donate to our work here.

Right, that is even more motivation to bin Virgin Media, thanks

I see the Tory dark-money-funded and Tory MP presented GB News’ very own transphobic fake vicar Calvin Robertson is now describing Sunak as a ‘heathen’ who shouldn’t have read a passage at yesterday’s monarchy charade (Twitter).

Tory MP presenters*, religious extremists, conspiracy theorists, fake science… GB News has it all.

Still Ofcom refuse to class this as a news channel and apply regulation. It is insane. As ever #StopFundingHate

*Rees Mogg is apparently on £802 per hour (New Statesman), Lee Anderson on £100k a year (Scotsman). There is clearly money to be made in propaganda, lies, bigotry and conspiracy theory.

I see the Tory dark-money-funded and Tory MP presented GB News’ very own transphobic fake vicar Calvin Robertson is now describing Sunak as a ‘heathen’ who shouldn’t have read a passage at yesterday’s monarchy charade (Twitter).

Tory MP presenters*, religious extremists, conspiracy theorists, fake science… GB News has it all.

Still Ofcom refuse to class this as a news channel and apply regulation. It is insane. As ever #StopFundingHate

*Rees Mogg is apparently on £802 per hour (New Statesman), Lee Anderson on £100k a year (Scotsman). There is clearly money to be made in propaganda, lies, bigotry and conspiracy theory.
The Calvin Robinson character is a bit borderline, pretty certain the “Vicar” persona is just another selection from the costume bag which allows him media access to self-promote. I’m not even sure the right wing political beliefs are real but just another entry point for him. He’ll turn out to be a (slightly more boring) British version of George Santos.

I’ve not researched him properly yet, though I know when he was doing his vile far-right homophobia/trans hate-speech thing with a megaphone outside a LGBTQ+ friendly pub hundreds of people were chanting “you’re not a real vicar” at him to the extent his megaphone was of no use. It was very funny. He’ll always not be a real vicar to me.

I see from LinkedIn that GB News are looking for staff. I am grateful that of all the people I've known in this industry over the last 25 years, LinkedIn claims that none of them work/have worked for them. :)

Ofcom finds far-right propaganda channel GB News in breach on covid vaccine conspiracy theory, but still has nothing to say about serving Tory MPs being paid huge sums to present their obviously partisan distortion of the news (Ofcom).

Just in case anyone has the slightest doubt that serving Tory MPs read the “news” on GB News here’s is an arsehole interviewing two other arseholes about a breaking news story he’s just announced (Twitter). Aside from the aforementioned arsehole-factor and a clear far-right bias with no counterpoint or balance there is no conceptual difference between this and say Kay Burley on Sky News. This is as bad as anything coming out of North Korea or Iran and is *clearly* in breach of media impartiality rules. A far right MP interviewing two other far-right politicians on something claiming to be a “news” channel about a breaking story. I think even Fox News in the USA stops short of employing serving Senators or Representatives to read the “news”.

If this was just some bullshit far-right YouTube stream I’d have no issue aside from the Ministerial Code should apply, but this dark-money-funded propaganda station dresses itself up as a news resource and is grouped along with legitimate news media on the freeview channel numbers. Seriously, WTF Ofcom?! What the hell is this propaganda shit doing here and how are serving MPs allowed to present it?

Michael Rosen speaks with Jason Stanley, the Jacob Urowsky Professor at Yale University to discuss the language of fascism. They discuss propaganda, slogans and ‘vermin terminology’ as well as how fascist language changes according to culture, geography and time.

Presented by Michael Rosen and produced for BBC Audio in Bristol by Ellie Richold.

The Language of Fascism...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001lqn3

Owen Jones on the truly vile Rees Mogg’s GB News gig and the obvious lies and misinformation masquerading as news on this shithole far-right channel.

Yet Ofcom say it's not a news channel ergo not subject to the laws that constrain such channels.

Is Rees-Muck still profiting from the sale of abortion pills?

Yet Ofcom say it's not a news channel ergo not subject to the laws that constrain such channels.

If you go to https://freeview.co.uk, check what channels are available in your area and click the ‘news’ option GB News is listed along with BBC News, BBC Parliament, Sky News, Al Jazera, and (confusingly) Talk TV. Clearly neither GB News nor Talk TV meet the legal criteria of impartiality, balance etc, yet they exist in this area of the map and are sold to the public as “news”. In the case of GB News it is right there in the channel name as well as the channel grouping. That’s before we even get to shyster MPs such as Rees Mogg doing newsreader impressions with clearly false and politically slanted “reporting”. It is far-right propaganda dressed up as news and it can not possibly be viewed as anything else. This is Comical Ali/North Korea-grade stuff and Ofcom really need to grow some teeth.

Can't imagine Dame Melanie Dawes, wife of former editor of the torygraph wanting to hold GB News to account, they're probably on the same page.

In fairness an aggressive right-wing thug-bully like Raab is a perfect fit for the channel. He could co-host a show with Yaxley-Lennon or Jayda The Racist. Perfect modern Tory programming.

advertisement

Back