advertisement

GB News Channel

Brexit: Musicians like David Bowie could disappear unless EU touring issues are solved, MPs have heard” (GB News).

PS Article date is 18/11/21, mentioning this as I assume they’ll delete it.

Could be the 'other' international superstar called David Bowie? What, don't tell me that you've never heard of him!

Brexit: Musicians like David Bowie could disappear unless EU touring issues are solved, MPs have heard” (GB News).

Oh, come on. It's not surprising. After all, GB News exists in it's own little fantasy world and isn't on speaking terms with reality.

It's very disappointing to see the likes of Mark Doyle and Ray Mears pop up on GB News. Their agents must be bloody useless. Or fascists.

Not defending GB but it’s a misleading headline. The article is quoting an MP who clearly knows he’s dead if you read on.

Jag is Scottish for jab. But you probably knew that.

One Scotticism that baffles me is when they say things like ‘That floor wants swept’, when what they mean is ‘That floor needs sweeping’.

One Scotticism that baffles me is when they say things like ‘That floor wants swept’, when what they mean is ‘That floor needs sweeping’.

It actually makes perfect sense in that the floor is 'wanting of' being swept, i.e. It needs to be swept. An English speaker probably wouldn't have batted an eyelid at the usage 200 years ago.

It actually makes perfect sense in that the floor is 'wanting of' being swept, i.e. It needs to be swept. An English speaker probably wouldn't have batted an eyelid at the usage 200 years ago.

This sort of thing also arises out of assimilation into general English language discourse of what originally would have been, in previous generations' days, Gaelic language thought into English language speech. My understanding is that Gaelic contains more tuiseals (cases or tenses) which allows greater expression and nuance. The English language as a hotchpotch of germanic/romance is quite oafish in comparison. I have inherited a few instances myself and, despite my accent, have had my cultural heritage identified by those in the know on several occasions.

advertisement

Back