Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

GB News Channel

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Feb 11, 2021.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I gather they’re knocking up other former UKIP MEPs apart from Widdecombe. Mike Hookem, the battling bus driver from Barnsley could do self defence tips ( punch them when they’re not looking), Henry Bolton on how short, nondescript middle aged white men can make it with a 25 yr old topless model and ‘Dr’ Paul Nuttalls on his busy life as a former professional footballer and history PhD.

2. flapland

flapland pfm Member

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

flapland likes this.
  5. flapland

flapland pfm Member

You're certainly not alone.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Interesting article in the Guardian relating to Andrew Neil’s departure, the station’s decline from a low-base, and apparent future trajectory to platform YouTube conspiracy theorists or far-right ex-UKIP embarrassments like Patrick O’Flynn. The disturbing thing is Murdoch’s entry into the same barrel of shit with ‘Talk TV’. That could be far more dangerous as whilst it will be his usual moronic tabloid racist far-right bile it is unlikely to be incompetent.

PS The key takeaway from our perspective is StopFundingHate does have a very real impact and can help starve these far-right hate channels. Never underestimate the power of grass roots protest, especially with regards to commercial advertisers who will always look at the bottom line and will never want to pay to damage their brands by association.

7. Le Baron

Le Baron Well-Known Member

Blimey I just read that and followed the links to the article two days previously about TalkTV hiring that worthless grub Piers Morgan as its lead presenter. Are UK news offerings going to sink to the lows of FoxNews and Newsmax? A lot of stupid people are going to be fed even more stupid ideas.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That is exactly the ideology Britain Trump is selling. If Johnson could hand total state media control to Murdoch, the Daily Mail and the Daily Express he would. This is Steve Bannon ideology being pushed through from the very top.

9. Le Baron

My god, the total transference of that idiotic, media-based culture wars type news will impoverish the country's general discourse.

10. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Hasn't One America News made Fox look quite sensible ? OAN is the blueprint for a far right wing tv station in the UK.

11. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Having successfully demonised anything vaguely left as the far left, why are we now surprised that the far right is advancing wherever it can?

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and Le Baron like this.
  12. Le Baron

Exactly. By doing so people have made the reckless right-wing the 'new normal' and centre-right 'radical' and teetering to the left. You reap what you sow.

ks.234 likes this.
  13. Spraggons Den

Spraggons Den pfm Member

Have you lot taking mass hysteria pills.

Nobody’s watching GB News and only a small part of the population believe what they read in RW newspapers.

14. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

How small? Do you have any evidence for that? Can’t help feeling they print that stuff because it works. The fact free tropes that have passed into common use certainly suggest it works.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr, Le Baron and Covkxw like this.
  15. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I have several siblings and families that believe every word they read in the Daily Heil.
    They believe GB tv finally gives them a voice.
    They’d have Begum imprisoned for life and asylum seeker boats towed back to France.
    One of their recent contributions to a discussion was to say that Gove is one of the greatest intellects in British politics and is terribly under used.
    We barely talk now.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  16. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

[​IMG]

17. wacko

wacko pfm Member

How many million Brexit votes do you think the media swung ?

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

…and given so much of the UK press isn’t profitable what makes the millionaire tax exile press barons that own them keep shovelling money in to their failing newspapers?

19. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

…it wouldn’t be that shovelling vast amount of money into a loss making project still ultimately has benefit for elite self interest for the top 1%?

20. Le Baron

Quite so. No-one would start a traditional television-style news channel if there wasn't significant benefit in it. In that linked article they muse:
    Which makes sense because the line they push is towards a politics that props up their own financial present and future.

As to only a 'small number' believing what they read in the lowest common denominator press. I very much doubt that. Not only does it have a widespread effect on public discourse, you even hear/see people repeating almost verbatim the rubbish originally published in it.