Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

GB News Channel

Discussion in 'off topic' started by droodzilla, Feb 11, 2021.

1. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

I quite agree Tony, but tragically they're even being criticised in the Telegraph as "labour-lite". (I only saw the headline as it's before the paywall)
    Wikipedia suggests Mr Heath has form.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allister_Heath

narabdela likes this.
  2. Minio

Minio Not flakey and never soggy ...

It could be a long time.
    Three centuries back the Gordon Riots illustrated your trope quite clearly.
    No people of colour seem to have been involved.
    But Irish and Catholics were the distracting scapegoat of that particular day.
    It's an old Tory propaganda trick. Not likely to disappear in Tory-forever Britain.

3. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

You forgot to add that it's fine in the context of covid.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

You really do try to force this one! There is no reason at all why asylum seekers/refugees can’t be helped in a fully covid-safe manner. There is a whole world of normality that lies between Farage & Patel’s xenophobic demonising and scapegoating ‘others’ as part of a political agenda and the libertarian liberal-hating anti-mask conspiracy theorists you seem to have fallen in with of late!

5. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

From Hope Not Hate:

[​IMG]

6. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

Same here, and I urged many others to as well.

Waxy, paulfromcamden and ks.234 like this.
  7. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Right: showing my alignment with the libertarian liberal-hating anti-mask conspiracy theorists by supporting masks and vaccines and voicing my scepticism that PHE and JCVI are compromised, or that the government is engaged in experiments on children. It's remarkable how 99% of what someone actually says gets filtered out once you've decided it's an Us and Them situation, and I wouldn't mind so much if I weren't always being lectured on nuance, the perils of tribalism and so on.

There are differences between securitising borders for economic, cultural or health reasons but it's always going to be messy, and border rhetoric is serving the functions you identify even in the case of Covid: it deflects attention away from issues like sick pay, NHS funding, the social care mess, job security, general incompetence and onto the Other. The difference as far as the government is concerned is that universal quarantine etc. is beyond them organisationally and unpopular with their sponsors - so it's left up to the opposition to indulge in border rhetoric.

Is Patel's absurd, theatrical abuse of refugees in any way related to Starmer and others accusing Johnson of being weak on borders? A real head-scratcher. Who can say.

8. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

The above has been useful for me. We're used to a local woman coming to the door with a tin for the RNLI. The above made me realise she's not been for ages - for reasons now obvious as probably an effect of covid. So this reminds me to get some money to RNLI via some other route.

9. KrisW

KrisW pfm Member

Farage would be even angrier to learn that RNLI isn’t even exclusively British: the charity also organises the voluntary lifeboat service in the Republic of Ireland. Organisationally, “Ireland” both North and South is a single operational region for RNLI, so it’s not unusual to find the Irish Coast Guard training Northern Irish lifeboat crews, and vice versa.

10. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

Story on BBC website just now saying donations of £200,000 received by RNLI since the Farage story reported. :)

11. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

What left me gobsmacked was a small number of members had contacted the RNLI to withdraw/cancel their support.

12. billo

billo pfm Member

The RNLI has just send me some raffle tickets as I bought a pile of Christmas cards from them along with some gifts. I was pondering about filling them in but I will now !

Nic Robinson likes this.
  13. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Can we not turn this around back at the flag wavers? Showing how Great Britain must be that people from all corners of the earth risk life and limb on a dodgy boat to get here?

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Cold War Steve doing his bit for the RNLI (Twitter).

irons1965, Darmok and The Bish like this.
  15. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Finish the job the plane crash should have done.

i_should_coco and ff1d1l like this.
  16. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

I was having an interesting read earlier about Aron Banks, apparently he made some of his money in insurance and had companies registered in various tax shelters, an interesting aside is that a tried and trusted method of money laundering is to start an insurance company and have someone take out insurance they will never claim, no need for reinsure to cover the risk and lots of money profit. Banks suddenly decides to invest in some old diamond mines that are all but exhausted, another interesting aside is that if you did want to launder money then claiming to have found some diamonds in the middle of nowhere in a country that is corrupt might be a good way to go about it. However no one in the Tory party was keen for anyone to look into this so I am probably worrying unduly.

17. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

5% of pretty much any demographic are off their trolley.

neilm and cooky1257 like this.
  18. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

All advertising is good advertising.

19. billo

billo pfm Member

A friend is the publicity officer at Fleetwood and he has sent me this email
    I was chatting to someone from RNLI HQ in Poole yesterday, John and she was telling me they'd received £200,000 in donations the previous day. The normal daily average is about £6,000.
    So, hats off to Farage !!
    The media team are also dealing with around 100,000 social media 'hits' a day at the moment, 90% of which are positive.
    I've had two people arguing on our FB page, following my posting from the RNLI on its role in the channel and how we don't judge, just save. It kicked off straight away, but the small-minded are being swamped by messages of support.
    Kinda restores your faith a little bit.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is a great way of editing your Facebook friends list IME.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and lordsummit like this.