advertisement

GB for drivers for Ergo IX

Drat, good job you clarified that Pete you would have had 6 more orders in pretty rapid succession :D:D:D
Actually, that's not as silly as it sounds. Pete could have a nice little earner and you could benefit from his superb craftsmanship. In fact, if you sweetened the deal a little, say paying for the wood and a set of drivers/components, so that Pete can have his very own pair of E-IXs as part payment in a GB sense, it could be a win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win all round.

:D

Pete - If you are not comfortable with the idea then please dont feel any pressure, but if you are at all interested then I for one would be game for paying for your time/efforts - rather the money went to someone on here than paying some random furniture maker.

Oak is my preference.

Sam

Pete
If you are interested?
I just need the enclosure making or I would settle for a flatpack of cut pannels My preference is Walnut

Alan

Hi, Chaps

Mmmm its a lot of work, and as usual I have a lot on, but a free pair of speakers is tempting, its something I will have to think about and get back to you.

Pete

Pete,
Again, my apologies if my bad English drew you into this "trouble" but if you are interested I also would prefer to take from you precisely cut cabinet walls which I can just glue assemble together and polish at home.
Bird's Eye Maple or Black Walnut if the first is hard to find and work with are my preferences too.
Thanks, Ivo

Hi Pete. I'll give you a ring sometime...I've be rubbish at contact recently so I should ring you anyhow. I don't want you getting into trouble with all that you have on.
Andy

Crossover Components

OK, I've got some prices for the components needed:

1.0mH inductor (Jantzen 15AWG P-Core Part Num 5383) £9.83
0.27mH inductor (Jantzen 18AWG Air-Core Part Num 1635) £3.93
18.0uF capacitor (Jantzen Z-Standard) £15.68
3.3uF capacitor (Jantzen Z-Superior) £16.24
2.7uF capacitor (Jantzen Z-Standard) £3.83
4R7 resistor (Jantzen 10W MOX RSS5%) £1.10
7R5 resistor (Jantzen 10W MOX RSS5%) £1.10

These are the cost per speaker and include VAT. They can do 10% discount for 10+ and 15% for 50+

I'll let this thread run for a while then sum up and get going.
Andy

Good review of Caps here http://www.tnt-http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Alan

... I also would prefer to take from you precisely cut cabinet walls which I can just glue assemble together and polish at home.
Assembling four sides together square, tight and aligned isn't as simple as it sounds. I'd hate to see finely cut panels botched on assembly.

Pete, I reiterate you have zero obligation to help this mottly lot out. I had a brain fart (senior version of mobilising fingers before engaging the grey matter).

James

Corrected for connectivity.

About the Jantzen Z-Superior

Tony Gee said:
Jantzen Z-Superior: Very neutral and coherent balance, they don’t seem to highlight anything and I mean that in a positive way! They are a little flatter in presentation than their more expensive brother, the Silver Z-Cap but still better than the Clarity Cap SA in depth and spatial information. In direct comparison with a Clarity Cap SA they are less up-front in the lower treble and have a very good texturing of acoustic instruments like a violin for example. In the upper treble they are slightly brighter than a Mundorf Silver/Gold which probably explains the good spatial information and separation. Compared to the Jantzen Audio Silver Z-Cap I find them the more musical of the two and I will definitely add them to my favourites list.

Verdict: 10

Hi, James

Don't worry it is a good idea.

I agree about not supplying flat pack cabinets, not only is clamping a box up tight and square a difficult thing to do, a bit of moisture can warp a panel and cause all sorts of problems.
Veneered MDF would be fine I wouldn’t worry so much about warping but then you still have the clamping problems, and less room for error your mitres have to be bang on.

Pete

Hi Pete

Don't worry it is a good idea.
That's good to know. Thanks.

I agree about not supplying flat pack cabinets, not only is clamping a box up tight and square a difficult thing to do, a bit of moisture can warp a panel and cause all sorts of problems.
Veneered MDF would be fine I wouldn’t worry so much about warping but then you still have the clamping problems, and less room for error your mitres have to be bang on.
Wood glue is slippery stuff. Hence my build instructions recommend biscuits to align and stabilise the joints.

James

I agree (great speakers by the way James) with not under estimating the difficulty in building-a lot of biscuit jointers and mitre saws are not really up to the task imo-i have had to move up to Festool mitre/plunge saws to achieve the level of precision for building TT plinths and speakers and domino jointing for a solid fit.

8x4 sheets of veneered mdf are about £65 (19mm) and the company I use use a cnc router and charge 50p a cut-thats a lot off panels-but they then would need mitering and joining. I found good table saws (Felder) causing break out on pre veneered boards as well and on a smaller speaker its all in the detail so plan well.

8x4 sheets of veneered mdf are about £65 (19mm) and the company I use use a cnc router and charge 50p a cut-thats a lot off panels-but they then would need mitering and joining. I found good table saws (Felder) causing break out on pre veneered boards as well and on a smaller speaker its all in the detail so plan well.

Can I ask who you use for the cnc cutting?

Are there any commercial speakers that use this (or similar) drivers to get some idea of reviews?

Have you checked if the speakers can be shipped direct yet? If not then this GB is kind of pointless as any saving will be lost in forward shipping from yourself..

Sam

Hi Andy,

Any ideas how long do you intend to run the GB before the actual ordering of the drivers and components, please?

Cheers,
Ivo

advertisement

Back