advertisement

GB for drivers for Ergo IX

Hi, natzev i

You know that Birds Eye Maple is VERY difficult to work with?

Pete

Wise words there. I nearly killed myself in frustration making this mirror:

DSC_9454-1.jpg

DSC_9453.jpg

Hi, Gareth

Nice mirror.

You need a scraper plane for birds eye maple.
Here's one I made earlier

DSC_0039-1.jpg

Pete

Nice. (uzinusa humbled further into his hole vowing sincerely never to mention anything to do with wood again)

A nice mirror you have there - may I kindly ask for your timber suppler, please? Do they ship abroad?
Cheers, Ivo

Hi Ivo

I use Chiltern Timber as they are local. Delivery is always a killer with wood as it is big and heavy. Also it is always preferable to pick your own wood rather than risk someone offloading the less attractive bits onto you.

Hi, Gareth

Nice mirror.

You need a scraper plane for birds eye maple.
Here's one I made earlier

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks, your scraper plane is gorgeous, was it a kit or completely scratch built? I really need to learn about scraper planes and cards for tough grain stuff

Hi, Gareth

Designed and built by myself.
Scrapers are excellent tools, you can make loads from an old hard point saw.
Once you get the hang of rolling a burr you can do so much with one, from striping paint to shaping.

Pete

Gareth, thanks for the link!
It's hard to order timber via Internet but I don't have a choice and need to try it if I want to use exotic woods.
I calculated and the cabinets timber should be around 14 kg itself which is not that much and can be cut to smaller pieces for convenient shipping.
Hope I will find a willing to ship internationally supplier.

Ivo

Hi, Ivo

When you get wood for a project you need to get more than you need, up to half as much again, wood is a natural product full of faults. So you need to cut round the imperfections to get the good parts.
If you order just the right ammount you will have problems, I would find someone to make them and see if they can get the wood for you.

Pete

Pete, thank you for the kind offer!
I really didn't know I'll need that much more wood - thought 10-20 mm from each side will be enough.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks, Ivo

Hi, Ivo

I mean YOU find sombody to make them for YOU and get them to supply the wood.
I wasn't offering to make them for you.

Pete

Scrapers are excellent tools ...
I agree. I use a metre-long steel rule to double as a scraper from time to time. Useful for leveling jointed timbers, clearing the glue line etc. However, your mounted scraper looks like the cat's pyjamas.

James

Hi, James

Get or make a cabinet scraper you will be amazed at the difference compaired to a steel rule.

Pete

Hi, Ivo

I mean YOU find somebody to make them for YOU and get them to supply the wood.
I wasn't offering to make them for you.

Pete
Drat, good job you clarified that Pete you would have had 6 more orders in pretty rapid succession :D:D:D

Alan

advertisement

Back