advertisement

GB for drivers for Ergo IX

Do you and James think the Jantzen caps are up to the task to build the "best sounding minimonitors"?

I, am ashamed to say, I have not got a clue :)

James clearly does have a clue, and thinks so. James, and comment re better crossover components? I'd have thought that with a 150-quid driver he'd not have used some dodgy cap in the crossover to save a fiver.

Andy

I'd like to build these out of resin-impregnated mesquite. I'll have a furniture maker build the cabs for me. He has the appropriate tools for working with this hardwood and has built speaker cabs for me before.

Most of the bits will be cheaper here in the US, but for the unique (Corian fronts) or hard to source bits, I'd like to join in on the GB if the organizers are willing to deal with international shipping.

Cheers.

Do you and James think the Jantzen caps are up to the task to build the "best sounding minimonitors"?
You could use more expensive caps, but I can't guarantee they will sound the way I intended. Try pricing Duelands, for example, for the ridiculous. The Jantzen Z-Superior cap on the tweeter is just superb. As for the other caps (which are used to shunt to ground), the quality is less important and the Z-Standards are good enough.

Andy, which version of the xover is that quote for?
I've specified the build for the wall-mount version. This works best for most UK rooms. Free-space version XO specs available on request.

James

Yeah! - we broke the 5 people limit barrier for the drivers, I suppose!

I am trying to source on-line seller of Bird's Eye Maple timber for the cabinets. If anybody can help me with links will be highly appreciated!
I contacted nichetimbers co uk but have no reply yet.
I am ready to pay for the shipping so it doesn't matter where the company is from - EU is preferable.
Thanks, Ivo

You could use more expensive caps, but I can't guarantee they will sound the way I intended. Try pricing Duelands, for example, for the ridiculous. The Jantzen Z-Superior cap on the tweeter is just superb.

I was thinking about Mundorfs but can try them later as experiment.

I've specified the build for the wall-mount version. This works best for most UK rooms. Free-space version XO specs available on request.

James
Is there a big components difference? How far from the wall boundaries the speakers are still considered as wall-mount? Can we have the other version too, PLEASE?
Cheers, Ivo

Thanks, Flashgo. I am ready to order the timber only, if available and cut and polish it here.
I am interested in Bird's Eye Maple, American Black Walnut and Sapele - in order of preference.

Keep posting everyone. We'll get something together.

I'm chasing the Corian front (not that I'm sure it's what I'm after actually) but will come back when my friendly CNC-miller gets back to me.

Andy

Hi, natzev i

You know that Birds Eye Maple is VERY difficult to work with?

Pete
Yes, I read about it but hope I will be able to find wood craftsman capable to produce a rectangular box of it. On the other hand it looks gorgeous! I really hope I will source it on-line.

To make the things even more complicated with the cabinets I have the crazy idea to use black granite as a front baffle. Still don't know if I can find the appropriate milling machines for stones but.... wish me luck ;)

Is there a big components difference? How far from the wall boundaries the speakers are still considered as wall-mount? Can we have the other version too, PLEASE?
Yes, there is enough difference that you need almost completely different components. How far from the wall boundaries will depend you your room. Unless you intend to place the E-IX at least 1m from any surface in a timber-framed, suspended floor and highly lossy room that is at least 60 cubic metres in volume, I strongly recommend the wall-mount version.

James

To make the things even more complicated with the cabinets I have the crazy idea to use black granite as a front baffle. Still don't know if I can find the appropriate milling machines for stones but.... wish me luck ;)

I was thinking of covering the front baffle in human skin, blemish free, but still with the fine hairs of youth. :D

PS, re the GB, I was only planning on getting components for the wall-proximity version of the Ergo IX.
Andy

PS; If you all want skin then you're going to have to let me know soon so I can get the scooby--doo van dinging double time.

PS; If you all want skin then you're going to have to let me know soon so I can get the scooby--doo van dinging double time.

I have a supply tucked away ready and waiting....

The woodworking is whats bothering me most, fine with metal, hacking circuits together etc but woodwork worries me..

advertisement

Back