Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Gas and Electricity Prices

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gordonscobie, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

You've noticed it too.

2. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Good Morning All,

I see at least two of the price comparison sites have kind of suspended their activities - possibly related to some volatility in the market???

I also noted that Martin Lewis's site can't cope with comparing against TOU tariffs.

Regards

Richard

3. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

While I share your hope, I fear that no matter how bad things get, we have by a series of small steps now reached a politics in which our very conservative electorate has made so many excuses for government failings so many times now, that’s one more excuse is not a big leap and this government will continue to receive popular support regardless of its increasingly obvious incompetence and corruption.

4. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Sue’s should sound epic! When I’m running on the dirty back up generator due to power cuts I’ll write a full report on the SQ differences.

5. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Yes Prime Minister rules apply

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I could be wrong here (Ponty and/or Andyoz might know), but I think most if not all of these small energy companies are privately owned/financed rather than being quoted companies so they were, in effect never in 'public ownership'. The government deregulated to allow these minnows to offer competition to the big boys. This has worked rather well for a number of years, but this unprecedented gas situation was, I feel, never envisaged.

Octopus has recently informed me that normally, 5% of their energy costs is to cover all admin. and business overheads, but that they've recently shaved that figure in the light of current price rises. S'pose you could argue that they can afford to do this with more coming in.;)

If middlemen weren't useful, why have they formed part of the retail chain all these years? They're basically wholesalers or agents who don't hold stocks but handle the interchange between customer and supplier. Can't see how we common folk could organise our supplies directly from the various gas fields.

You may, but that's nothing to do with the current situation, as I very much doubt, despite my being sceptical of many aspects of this government, that any other political party would handle it better. I've no idea what the point is of bringing personal political views into a discussion such as this.

There's just too much going wrong in the world of late and I get the negative feeling that this world is going to hell in a handcart with locomotive forces including climate change, rising global belligerence and fundamentalism/extremism, debt, medical catastrophes and general ignorance. I could put lack of leadership in there, but that may be just an age-related view of history.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Paul L likes this.
  7. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

It's not a personal political view. Your Prime Minister said it.

[​IMG]

paulfromcamden likes this.
  8. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Ridiculous decisions made by this ridiculous Government on Covid, Brexit, Universal Credit has created a scenario that is simply unacceptable in this country and now the energy crisis is the cherry on top, and what I hope is the straw that breaks the camels back. To argue that it is not political fails to take into account the bigger picture.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/20/mart...and-heating-15287413/#share-item-15287869-593

TheDecameron likes this.
  9. Darren

Darren All Business

Thats a shitty hard road for you bruh. Hope things improve soon especially for your wife - Long Covid is horrible.

10. billo

billo pfm Member

Don't forget that when you are sitting in your cold, darkened home it is not a power cut. You are having a Kwasi!

11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Ah yes, another of the Britannia Unchained crew. They’re presiding over mass price increases for food, materials and energy. Add shortages into the toxic mix , now strip away £20 a week from everyone living on universal credit.

We get to see the full meaning of Brexit and a Tory government in the coming months. Johnson is going to have trouble lying his way out of this one.

12. TheDecameron

Add in the collapse of devolved government and consequent civil disorder in Northern Ireland. Who’d have thought Britain could be taken back to the 1970s? Had Corbyn and Labour tried this, there’d have been a coup.

PsB and farfromthesun like this.
  13. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

It's becoming very difficult to compile an exhaustive list, these days.

14. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Sorry if this has been addressed before, I haven’t read the whole thread but Kwarteng has said there is no danger of
    We have had a coup, a right wing one by subterfuge.

15. laughingboy

laughingboy pfm Member

Still, at least the government didn't sit idly by, allowing Centrica to close the UK's biggest gas storage site in 2017. Because losing 70% of UK's storage at one stroke would have been inept.

Oh, wait - they did: "The government is so far untroubled about Centrica’s decision and says the UK has already coped without the facility during previous periods of closure."

wacko likes this.
  16. TheDecameron

Those new Tory MPs in the Red Wall- they were having diarrhoea over even simply increasing National Insurance! Then Boris turns up with three other riders of the Apocalypse. A lot of people are going to feel very stupid for voting for them in 2019. Still, it was “get Brexit done”.

17. mansr

mansr Objectionist

Some perhaps, but not enough.

18. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

So all the cheapskates on here who used those failed garden shed utility outfits with their underfunded, underhedged business models and unrealistic predatory pricing structures, are going to end up being bailed out by the rest of us? What happened to moral hazard and buyer beware? I think they should just be cut off.

19. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

As you well know your gas supply cannot be cut off without you being offered alternative payment methods.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Interesting that Greenpeace and many others saw this one coming (link). Obviously the endlessly lying Tory government will never admit this has anything to do with their failed and reckless Brexit project, but like so many other things blighting this country at present, it does.