advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Good Morning All,

I see at least two of the price comparison sites have kind of suspended their activities - possibly related to some volatility in the market???

I also noted that Martin Lewis's site can't cope with comparing against TOU tariffs.

Regards

Richard

There is a storm brewing, and I hope it seriously damages the Tories; huge hikes in energy bills, tax hikes and Universal Credit cuts are all going to align and cause many, many people some serious problems. Coupled with issues such as pressure on food supplies, small businesses folding due to excessive Brexit red tape; something is going to give, and I don't think we're going to be waiting long. Pitchforks at the ready.
While I share your hope, I fear that no matter how bad things get, we have by a series of small steps now reached a politics in which our very conservative electorate has made so many excuses for government failings so many times now, that’s one more excuse is not a big leap and this government will continue to receive popular support regardless of its increasingly obvious incompetence and corruption.

When a current govt minister states "there is absolutely no question of xxxx" I start to get quite worried...
xxxx in this instance being the lights going out.

I've bought candles and a couple of gas bottles for the BBQ...
Yes Prime Minister rules apply

Alternatively, and as the government now admits that they are of national importance, why not let them go bust and then take them back into public ownership (where they belong anyway) and with the added bonus of getting them at a knock down price.

I could be wrong here (Ponty and/or Andyoz might know), but I think most if not all of these small energy companies are privately owned/financed rather than being quoted companies so they were, in effect never in 'public ownership'. The government deregulated to allow these minnows to offer competition to the big boys. This has worked rather well for a number of years, but this unprecedented gas situation was, I feel, never envisaged.

Octopus has recently informed me that normally, 5% of their energy costs is to cover all admin. and business overheads, but that they've recently shaved that figure in the light of current price rises. S'pose you could argue that they can afford to do this with more coming in.;)

All of these gas retailers are just middlemen who do nothing useful.

If middlemen weren't useful, why have they formed part of the retail chain all these years? They're basically wholesalers or agents who don't hold stocks but handle the interchange between customer and supplier. Can't see how we common folk could organise our supplies directly from the various gas fields.

There is a storm brewing, and I hope it seriously damages the Tories;

You may, but that's nothing to do with the current situation, as I very much doubt, despite my being sceptical of many aspects of this government, that any other political party would handle it better. I've no idea what the point is of bringing personal political views into a discussion such as this.

There's just too much going wrong in the world of late and I get the negative feeling that this world is going to hell in a handcart with locomotive forces including climate change, rising global belligerence and fundamentalism/extremism, debt, medical catastrophes and general ignorance. I could put lack of leadership in there, but that may be just an age-related view of history.

Last edited:
You may, but that's nothing to do with the current situation, as I very much doubt, despite my being sceptical of many aspects of this government, that any other political party would handle it better. I've no idea what the point is of bringing personal political views into a discussion such as this.

It's not a personal political view. Your Prime Minister said it.

Brexit%2Benergy.jpg

We're with People's Energy - they emailed on Friday to say they had ceased trading - so waiting to see who we get landed with before looking at switching. They had warned us of a possible 25% increase in DD for the winter back in June. We had been paying just under £100 a month for dual fuel and currently in credit. An increase in costs is going to hit us hard, my wife hasn't worked since losing her job in August 20, long covid and other medical issues means she's not fit to work at present. Not entitled to universal credit either so we've had about £300 a month for food and other living expenses after mortgage and bills. I'm about to lose the extra £100 a month I've been getting for covering someone's maternity leave.
One lot we'll be steering clear of is Bulb, they had set what seemed a very high proposed DD for my Mum's small retirement flat and have been chasing my sister to ask why no debit has been set up. This despite having been informed several times that my mum died in April (the power is off in the flat) and to contact the solicitors dealing with her estate.
Thats a shitty hard road for you bruh. Hope things improve soon especially for your wife - Long Covid is horrible.

Don't forget that when you are sitting in your cold, darkened home it is not a power cut. You are having a Kwasi!

Don't forget that when you are sitting in your cold, darkened home it is not a power cut. You are having a Kwasi!
Ah yes, another of the Britannia Unchained crew. They’re presiding over mass price increases for food, materials and energy. Add shortages into the toxic mix , now strip away £20 a week from everyone living on universal credit.

We get to see the full meaning of Brexit and a Tory government in the coming months. Johnson is going to have trouble lying his way out of this one.

Ridiculous decisions made by this ridiculous Government on Covid, Brexit, Universal Credit has created a scenario that is simply unacceptable in this country and now the energy crisis is the cherry on top, and what I hope is the straw that breaks the camels back. To argue that it is not political fails to take into account the bigger picture.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/20/mart...and-heating-15287413/#share-item-15287869-593
Add in the collapse of devolved government and consequent civil disorder in Northern Ireland. Who’d have thought Britain could be taken back to the 1970s? Had Corbyn and Labour tried this, there’d have been a coup.

Add in the collapse of devolved government and consequent civil disorder in Northern Ireland. Who’d have thought Britain could be taken back to the 1970s? Had Corbyn and Labour tried this, there’d have been a coup.

It's becoming very difficult to compile an exhaustive list, these days.

Sorry if this has been addressed before, I haven’t read the whole thread but Kwarteng has said there is no danger of

We have had a coup, a right wing one by subterfuge.

Ah yes, another of the Britannia Unchained crew. They’re presiding over mass price increases for food, materials and energy. Add shortages into the toxic mix , now strip away £20 a week from everyone living on universal credit.

Still, at least the government didn't sit idly by, allowing Centrica to close the UK's biggest gas storage site in 2017. Because losing 70% of UK's storage at one stroke would have been inept.

Oh, wait - they did: "The government is so far untroubled about Centrica’s decision and says the UK has already coped without the facility during previous periods of closure."

It's becoming very difficult to compile an exhaustive list, these days.
Those new Tory MPs in the Red Wall- they were having diarrhoea over even simply increasing National Insurance! Then Boris turns up with three other riders of the Apocalypse. A lot of people are going to feel very stupid for voting for them in 2019. Still, it was “get Brexit done”.

So all the cheapskates on here who used those failed garden shed utility outfits with their underfunded, underhedged business models and unrealistic predatory pricing structures, are going to end up being bailed out by the rest of us? What happened to moral hazard and buyer beware? I think they should just be cut off.

As you well know your gas supply cannot be cut off without you being offered alternative payment methods.

Interesting that Greenpeace and many others saw this one coming (link). Obviously the endlessly lying Tory government will never admit this has anything to do with their failed and reckless Brexit project, but like so many other things blighting this country at present, it does.

advertisement

Back