Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Gas and Electricity Prices

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gordonscobie, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Mystic Mac

Mystic Mac cauliflower ears not golden ears....

What is the arbitrary level of deservedness... who decides that? Someone with a 2.1 in Classics or History...

as above, 12 million over 65s in the UK

where is the help coming from, taxes? The Tories will not tax companies any further. So where is the magic money tree to really help people.

The solution is simple. Nationalise energy.

twotone likes this.
  2. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Fuel-Poverty/What-is-fuel-poverty
    Gives a definition of fuel poverty; in summary after fuel bills have been paid, the household’s residual income is below the national poverty line.

3. Mystic Mac

Mystic Mac cauliflower ears not golden ears....

around 2.3 million working people on Universal Credits

we have the largest low paid sector in Western Europe at around 20% of the workforce, so if you were charitable you would include all of them, not just the ones able to claim.

then whatever the number of out of work claimants is. Unless you are totally devoid of empathy

so I suspect it will be around 1/3 of the country.

twotone and ff1d1l like this.
  4. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Through necessity not choice. They needed to dish out the money to help all their donor mates whose employees were all now being told to stay at home.

twotone and Mystic Mac like this.
  5. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

Are you aware that teachers & nurses for instance are having to use food banks?
    Maybe you should open your eyes?

6. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

9 million households - which is 1/3 of the total in the UK - are projected to experience fuel poverty this winter.

At present (after the April rises) the figure is around 6.5m households.

7. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans

There are 27.8M households in the UK.

It is estimated are that the rise in the fuel price cap in April 2022 doubled the number of households in fuel poverty, in the UK from 3.16M (11%) to 6.32M (23%). The same source predicts a further rise to 8.5M (31%) by the end of 2022.

https://www.endfuelpoverty.org.uk/about-fuel-poverty/#:~:text=6.32 million – The estimated total,poverty from 1 April 2022.

That means by the end of the year, at least 1 in 4 households will not be able to afford to adequately heat their homes this winter.

8. twotone

twotone pfm Member

After January anyone/household with an income of £41,000 will be in fuel poverty

9. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Or on their bike

10. Olaup

Olaup pfm Member

Have we time warped back to the 80s'

[​IMG]

11. twotone

twotone pfm Member

It soon will be when will those Tory bastards actually, y’know, govern?

Where will the line be drawn, when people earning £100,000 a year are in fuel poverty cause that isn’t too far fetched that represents fuel bills of £10,000 a year but by that time there will be revolution here.

Marx said every country is three meals away from a revolution.

Mystic Mac likes this.
  12. matt j

matt j pfm Member

How so? I don't earn anywhere near that!

13. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Fuel poverty is categorised as paying 10% of your income in fuel bills.

14. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I don't pay anywhere near 10% of income on fuel and I'm nowhere near 41k!!

15. twotone

twotone pfm Member

So right now anyone/ household with an income of about £28,000 pa is officially in fuel poverty.

16. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Well I do am in fuel poverty I’m currently paying £299 a month so that represents earnings of £36,000 pa which is about our household income ie me and my wife.

17. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I think that is very case dependant!

18. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Not really my son and daughter are both hitting £200 a month each my son is a chef on about £14 an hour.

Plus don’t forget October and January’s rises are in the pipeline so probably looking at about £500 a month for me and the wife if we pay the bills that is.

I did an online quote with Octopus the other day for a one year fix they quoted £680 a month.

19. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Well I don't earn anything like what you and your Mrs earn and as a single bloke I'm nowhere near 10% of earnings on fuel costs.

20. Olaup

Olaup pfm Member

I pay for my gas & electricity quarterly on receipt of bill, some of these monthly figures being banded about are astonishing. Are they direct debit payments to your suppliers as I pay nowhere near these figures ?