advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Oil is back below pre war levels per barrel, so we've had a few months of eye watering prices and they've made record profits, meanwhile price at the pump is barely down from its recent high.

Pardon me if I don't cry them a river.
*Petrol price at pump say 180.7p (today)
*Wholesale fossil fuel price (comprising oil production & refining) 60.23p

So who takes the majority 120.47p?

The government takes more than the oil companies that have put in the effort and costs of getting the stuff out of the ground then refining it and delivering it to the pumps. A lot of effort for less than the government takes (83.72p) for nowt effort.

*Source - RAC Foundation

DV

Petrol price at pump say 180.7p (today)
Wholesale fossil fuel price (comprising oil production & refining) approx 60.23p

So who takes the missing 120.47p?

The government takes more than the oil companies that have put in the effort and costs of getting the stuff out of the ground then refining it and delivering it to the pumps. A lot of effort for less than the government takes for nowt effort.

DV

If the government are taking it all and the poor little oil firms are struggling to make ends meet why are they making so much money?

The government were taking the same amount before the price went up, are you saying they're now taking even more? I didn't see that announcement.

They’ll do anything to prevent forced sales and falling prices. ‘Encouraging’ banks to allow people to switch to interest only, payment holidays, forbearance etc. I disagree with bails outs, as they tend to make problems worse, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Quite like your suggestion, fraught with issues but like the principle.
No bank with any sense will allow transfer to interest only without proof of a repayment vehicle for the capital.

Sounds like you are prudent. Many aren’t. You’re a high earner, I’d suggest others with similar income will have multiple foreign holidays, new cars, meals out every week etc. You choose not to, presumably because you don’t want to be financially exposed and don’t see a credit card limit as a spending target.

Too many have no financial resilience and are not living within their means, rather living leveraged lifestyles which assume all will be be rosy forever. I’m waiting for the sob stories of ‘we can’t afford presents for the kids this Christmas’, with a picture of a family head to foot in designer clothes and 2 leased German cars on the drive of the ‘Executive home’. 10 bob millionaires everywhere. You’ll know they’re in the 5#1t when they put £20 of diesel in the X5. When their lines of credit run dry, the piper will still need paying. Their choice, their responsibility, their problem, their consequence, not other tax payers such as you and I. As Buffett says ‘only when the tide goes out do you discover who’s been swimming naked’. Help those who need help and have no options, absolutely 100%, but not those who choose to swim with sharks in speedos tied to a leg of lamb.
Every day, in every way you turn more and more into an out of touch, bigoted, right wing nut job.

We advised our kids at an early age to save whenever possible but also enjoy life at the time.

Sage advice. It's wise to have a nest egg for a rainy day but it shouldn't be at the expense of enjoying your life. You can always earn another pound but you can never get yesterday back.

I like this Warren Buffett anecdote:

I was up at Harvard a while back, and a very nice young guy, he picked me up at the airport, a Harvard Business School attendee. And he said, “Look, I went to undergrad here, and then I worked for X and Y and Z, and now I’ve come here.” And he said, “I thought it would really round out my résumé perfectly if I went to work now for a big management consulting firm.” And I said, “Well, is that what you want to do?” And he said no, but he said, “That’s the perfect résumé.” And I said, “Well, when are you going to start doing what you like?” And he said, “Well, I’ll get to that someday.” And I said, “Well, you know, your plan sounds to me a lot like saving up sex for your old age. It just doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Or as Guy Lombardo sang - enjoy yourself ...it's later than you think!

"You can always earn another pound"

What if you can't? Thats one of the things that can be covered to some extent by a rainy day account.

DV

rue we are in for a rocky ride but my gut feel is that we won't experience things anywhere near as bad as us oldies saw in the '70s/80s although for the younger never-had-it-so-good generations it may come as a shock.

Never had it so good? Really?
"You can always earn another pound"

What if you can't? Thats one of the things that can be covered to some extent by a rainy day account.

DV

People don't have enough money to live on and support their families, let alone save.

I'd argue that it's people like yourself that lived through a "never had it so good" generation; guilt edged pensions, cheap housing and jobs for life, awash with cash to invest and now reaping the benefits. Young people have none of these prospects.

I am sorry but you just seem to me as being a bit out of touch.

No one has had it harder than Darth. His ship was blown up not once but twice by a couple of punk-ass punks.

The first time was bad enough but the second time it was blown up before the contractors had finished building it. Imagine lots of bum crack still on display as the dry wall is being installed then — boom — the main power source is hit.

That’s gotta sting.

Joe

You know those threads where people boast about how much they give to charity without actually being vulgar enough to actually say it? This is like the opposite of that.

I like the idea of 'guilt edged pensions'; the feeling that you've got quite a lot of money going into your bank account without having worked for it.*

*'I'll have you know I worked bloody hard for my pension. 70 hour weeks, no holiday pay, had to walk 20 miles a day because I couldn't afford the train fare. Young people today with their fancy coffees and avocado on toast - pah! I had nothing but tap water to wash down my dripping sarnies.'

I’d love to change places with a young person so I could pay an exorbitant amount for education, require more of it to get an entry-level job, then pay a ridiculous amount in rent or a mortgage if I’m lucky enough to have a home some years later.

And don’t give me any of that defined benefit kind of pension. I want the kind of pension that can tank when I retire, assuming I could have saved something while working.

Joe

klfrs,

@Joe P how handy could an average cape wearing asthmatic senior citizen really be?

Errand-of-Mercy-mr-spock-6152577-700-530.jpg

A cape doesn’t serve much of a purpose other than making you look cool when you enter a room.

Joe

Never had it so good? Really?

People don't have enough money to live on and support their families, let alone save.

I'd argue that it's people like yourself that lived through a "never had it so good" generation; guilt edged pensions, cheap housing and jobs for life, awash with cash to invest and now reaping the benefits. Young people have none of these prospects.

I am sorry but you just seem to me as being a bit out of touch.
This shows me that you have no idea.

I left sec mod school at 15 and went straight to work. I lived with my parents on a tough city council estate where I regularly got beaten up coming home from school by older and bigger gangs of boys who I never knew nor had even met. My crime? I wore glasses and that was unusual at that time. Four eyes I was called and they formed a ring and beat the hell out of me.

My parents were poor working class and my best clothes came from jumble sales if you know what that means. I never had a school badge as my parents couldn't afford one.

No guilt edged pension for me except for the few years that I was a school teacher and for that I do get a small pension. The rest I saved in money purchase schemes and its now into a SIPP where I can manage it myself. Note a Science teacher that taught to 'A' Level University entrance and became Head of Science. I worked damn hard from age 15 at work and spent 1 day and two evenings a week for 3 years to get my ONC Chemistry. I did well enough to go to Uni and get a very good degree. I had to work evenings and holidays for money. It wasn't easy.

I won't bother going over the following years except to say that I've been married twice and have two families and through sheer hard graft I managed to send my children to private school.

My youngest is now just turned 28 and lives in a very expensive flat in Islington so I understand this generation and how they live.They have iPhones and other such like permanently stuck in hand and would be lost literally without one. It really is easy come easy go to this generation. I tell them don't go out for meals and buy expensive cocktails put some away for your future but it falls on deaf ears.

When I was a child I saw how those that managed to reach retirement on our tough council estate lived. It was shocking. I vowed then never to be like that when I had to retire. So all through life I put retirement as very important. I joined every works pension scheme immediately as to me it was free money and I always put something away for the future. Although I have had new company cars I have never bought a new one for myself. Money down the drain. Instead I learned how to service and repair my s/h cars and both save and invest the money that others were happy to waste. My ex BIL was an accountant and bragged how he was about to buy his fourth new car whilst I was still driving a s/h one after 10 years. He is not bragging now in retirement!

I lost my job in the Thatcher recession and couldn't get another. 'Over qualified I was told interview after interview' . So I set up my first company and never looked back. Bloody hard work and years living away from home (4 years in Germany) allowed me to save and invest. My pals at home who couldn't be bothered to get off their ass 'I'd miss me mates' are now like you blaming others good luck rather than their own failings. There is no such thing as 'luck'. It is noticing the opportunities and getting of your backside then everyone says how lucky you were.

Everyone no matter how little they earn can put a little something away for a rainy day. I even did this with my paper round as my parents were too poor to give me pocket money.

DV

Useful reading here, for older people imagining their generation had it tough,
This shows me that you have no idea.

I left sec mod school at 15 and went straight to work. I lived with my parents on a tough city council estate where I regularly got beaten up coming home from school by older and bigger gangs of boys who I never knew nor had even met. My crime? I wore glasses and that was unusual at that time. Four eyes I was called and they formed a ring and beat the hell out of me.

My parents were poor working class and my best clothes came from jumble sales if you know what that means. I never had a school badge as my parents couldn't afford one.

No guilt edged pension for me except for the few years that I was a school teacher and for that I do get a small pension. The rest I saved in money purchase schemes and its now into a SIPP where I can manage it myself. Note a Science teacher that taught to 'A' Level University entrance and became Head of Science. I worked damn hard from age 15 at work and spent 1 day and two evenings a week for 3 years to get my ONC Chemistry. I did well enough to go to Uni and get a very good degree. I had to work evenings and holidays for money. It wasn't easy.

I won't bother going over the following years except to say that I've been married twice and have two families and through sheer hard graft I managed to send my children to private school.

My youngest is now just turned 28 and lives in a very expensive flat in Islington so I understand this generation and how they live.They have iPhones and other such like permanently stuck in hand and would be lost literally without one. It really is easy come easy go to this generation. I tell them don't go out for meals and buy expensive cocktails put some away for your future but it falls on deaf ears.

When I was a child I saw how those that managed to reach retirement on our tough council estate lived. It was shocking. I vowed then never to be like that when I had to retire. So all through life I put retirement as very important. I joined every works pension scheme immediately as to me it was free money and I always put something away for the future. Although I have had new company cars I have never bought a new one for myself. Money down the drain. Instead I learned how to service and repair my s/h cars and both save and invest the money that others were happy to waste. My ex BIL was an accountant and bragged how he was about to buy his fourth new car whilst I was still driving a s/h one after 10 years. He is not bragging now in retirement!

I lost my job in the Thatcher recession and couldn't get another. 'Over qualified I was told interview after interview' . So I set up my first company and never looked back. Bloody hard work and years living away from home (4 years in Germany) allowed me to save and invest. My pals at home who couldn't be bothered to get off their ass 'I'd miss me mates' are now like you blaming others good luck rather than their own failings. There is no such thing as 'luck'. It is noticing the opportunities and getting of your backside then everyone says how lucky you were.

Everyone no matter how little they earn can put a little something away for a rainy day. I even did this with my paper round as my parents were too poor to give me pocket money.

DV
All that and you still don’t have a clue.

advertisement

Back