advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

The environmental damage caused by Lithium mining, together with the energy cost involved in making Lthium in to batteries, that are then transported around the world involving even more energy expenditure, makes me seriously wonder whether this rush to Lithium is really a very good idea at all.

Lithium just one of many options
AGM gel / lead acid batteries etc or recycle old batteries i use old fork lift truck batteries & get them free
no leccy bill for 10years now & excess sold to the national grid

The environmental damage caused by oil extraction, together with the energy cost involved in making crude in to petroleum products, that are then transported around the world involving even more energy expenditure, makes me seriously wonder whether this should continue at all.

Fixed it for you.
Does the lithium vanish into thin air once you used it?

NiFe batteries are as tough as old boots can withstand a lot of abuse and are reusable. Their main disadvantage is the low EMF at 1.1V and their weight.

I love 'em,

DV

I’ve been with EDF for years. They weren’t the cheapest but it’s nice to know I have the french government behind me in these turbulent times :)

Looks like Bulb will go next week but they are too big for one supplier to take over their customer base which is equal in number to all the companies that have gone under together.

My brother and his partner have been living off grid down in Devon for some years. He has a mixture of Solar and Windpower devices, lots of batteries and a woodburning stove for heating (wood from his own land). It`s apparently quite fraught in the middle of winter when there`s not much sun though as it is essential to keep the freezer running.

Looks like Bulb will go next week

Good riddance, as they're the most cack-handed and inefficient energy company I've had to communicate with. After a long email and phone contretemp in spring last year they finally admitted they'd screwed up and gave me compensation.

Within the last week, after telling them of my cessation of ownership and giving the new one's name, I was asked for 'prove' (proof) of this. That's a first for me! I sent legal proof. I then got an email welcoming me to Bulb, enclosing a welcome pack. this last acknowledged as a cock-up in a further email.

Might hold on before I pay their lousy standing charges (no energy used) if they're going bust. I find it amazing that there's no statutary obligation to have a supplier for empty property, as far as I can find, there's not a lot one can do to avoid it. Bulb, the previous tenants' supplier, sent no less that 10 letters to 'the occupier' (which I wasn't, of course). The water company addressed theirs to 'occupier/owner'; sensible! As I said, Bulb are a shower, despite my sister being happy with them.

Never had an issue with Bulb. I signed up; they provide power; I pay. Pretty much the same with all suppliers I've been with.

The only downside is the constant "would you like a smart meter?" E-mails.

I've just ordered 1.2m3 of wood to burn over the winter. We usually use an open fire for effect rather than heat, but i've a feeling we'll be using it more this winter!

Good riddance, as they're the most cack-handed and inefficient energy company I've had to communicate with. After a long email and phone contretemp in spring last year they finally admitted they'd screwed up and gave me compensation.

Within the last week, after telling them of my cessation of ownership and giving the new one's name, I was asked for 'prove' (proof) of this. That's a first for me! I sent legal proof. I then got an email welcoming me to Bulb, enclosing a welcome pack. this last acknowledged as a cock-up in a further email.

Might hold on before I pay their lousy standing charges (no energy used) if they're going bust. I find it amazing that there's no statutary obligation to have a supplier for empty property, as far as I can find, there's not a lot one can do to avoid it. Bulb, the previous tenants' supplier, sent no less that 10 letters to 'the occupier' (which I wasn't, of course). The water company addressed theirs to 'occupier/owner'; sensible! As I said, Bulb are a shower, despite my sister being happy with them.

Bulb, sounds like you want their light to go out..

Just got a shock today. I've been switched from Peoples Energy to British Gas. Our direct debit used to be £97 a month. I got an email on the 29th to say my account had been set up - they had me down to pay by cash or cheque so went to set up the direct debit. This showed the new amount would be £131 a month, so quite a jump. I've just opened an email from them confirming the DD set up and that states they'll be taking £209.45 a month.
Sign in to the online account - that confirms the amount but suggests I'm paying too much and that rate would have me £1055 in credit at the end of the plan. Now lets see what their customer service is like.

Bulb, sounds like you want their light to go out..

I don't hold a candle for Bulb because they get on my wick, Phil. I read financial news on Saturday that they're likely to go into 'measures' this week. Problem is, being the 7th biggest supplier, there are simply too many customers to farm out to others (not that they want them). Problem for government and all of us really; guess there'll need to be some gov't financial input here, despite their previous refusals to do so.

I don't hold a candle for Bulb because they get on my wick, Phil. I read financial news on Saturday that they're likely to go into 'measures' this week. Problem is, being the 7th biggest supplier, there are simply too many customers to farm out to others (not that they want them). Problem for government and all of us really; guess there'll need to be some gov't financial input here, despite their previous refusals to do so.
So Bulb are in too deep. That's Dafft. And knowing this Narcissistic government, any help will be Tulip'll too late. Prices have been Hyacinth late summer, they've just Frittilaria'd away any time for action.

advertisement

Back