Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Gas and Electricity Prices

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gordonscobie, Sep 14, 2021.

1. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I can't help feeling just a tiny bit smug at the moment.

I signed up with my existing supplier Shell Energy for a new two year fix on 1st August 2021. At the time I wondered if I was doing the right thing or just being my usual lazy self, as the standard variable rate was quite a bit lower and slightly cheaper fixes were to be had elsewhere, but I signed up anyway. I even got a free Google Nest Hub thingy. Based on my average annual consumption in kWh over the last five years it's going to cost me around £150/month for the next two years.

And - the icing on the cake - I filled the wife's old car up a week ago, and my new one is an EV.

What can possibly go wrong now?

paulc likes this.
  2. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

We've always opted to pay on receipt of a bill so as not to have a pile of cash sitting in the provider's account.

Unfortunately after being repeatedly messed around by our previous provider we switched to bulb at the end of July (doh!) who only accept direct debit (doh!).

My bill for July was £55. I'm somehow already £150 in credit with another £78 due to be paid to them in a few days so I'll have paid almost £300!

If I try to change the monthly payment amount it tells me the minimum payment allowed is £91. Hmm.

Kind of wishing I'd stuck to just paying when I got the bill...

3. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

I pay by Variable Direct Debit, where they debit the amount of the actual bill each month.

'Fixed' DD is a nonsense, IMO, though preferred by the energy companies, for obvious reasons. Probably won't get the very 'cheapest' deals, but It's the way that I prefer.

PhilofCas likes this.
  4. unclefz

unclefz Well-Known Member

I used this 'assets' link to access my account last week and get my statements and a screenshot of my credit.
    Since then I have had an email from Octopus and tried this morning to access avro at the above 'assets' link but it will no longer let me in.
    I can 'attach' to the original avro site (and get further than I did last week) but can't update my readings as I get the 'Unexpected error' message/

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

6. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Happy being shunted to Octopus
    One of the least worst from what I've heard

Rana and unclefz like this.
  7. jwb5463

jwb5463 pfm Member

I bet my £60 debt gets there before your credit :(

Mike Reed, mega lord and mansr like this.
  8. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

jwb5463, pretty sure you’re right on that one!

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Quite a good summary of the causes of the current crisis on the Ecotricity website.

TL;DR: shortage of electricity due to: nuclear on maintenance shutdown, unexpected lack of wind, and that interconnector fire. Knock-on issues with reliance on gas fired plant due to shortage of gas, because: Russia has reduced supply through the pipelines to Europe, our government has allowed our bulk storage to dwindle to almost nothing, and increased demand for LNG in Asia has reduced availability of tankered LNG to Europe.

PhilofCas and Le Baron like this.
  10. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Yep, looks ok. I was dreading being transferred to Scottish Power.

wow&flutter likes this.
  11. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

<Shudder>

Jamie likes this.
  12. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

Could be worse, could be NPower.

13. LostAtSea

LostAtSea "33 222 1 222"

We were dumped to Scottish Power when Yorkshire Energy went bust last year. Took them all of 4 months to run through the £160 credit we had built up with YE over 2 years. Moved to Avro in February....

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Och aye the (not) noo.

15. Caledon1297

Caledon1297 pfm Member

16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

That should help them stand on their own feet.

17. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

All eight of them.

I just had a reply to an email to customer services (about a meter upgrade) within an hour and a confirmed appointment in 1 hour and 3 minutes….

18. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Martin Lewis is now advising that we all regularly download or screen-grab evidence of any credit we have whatever the utility company we are with.

19. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Igloo officially going.
    just had an email from them to confirm :-(

20. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Can’t stand the heat…