advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Indeed - there are eight cables that can work either way between the uk and Europe, Ireland and Norway. The nature of demand is that it is not unusual for the uk to send power to France at one price and then to buy the same amount back at a higher price at a different time. The same can happen in reverse of course, and I suspect some Googling will find real data.

Thanks for that. I never knew.

Amazing how low the PV is at the moment?

It'll be a long time before we're weaned off gas at this rate.

Yes, you’d think it would be going like the clappers right now!
Having had a solar thermal system for well over a decade to supply hot water and seen first hand how well that works, I can wholeheartedly recommend. Simple to install and maintain as well, a no brainer if you have a suitably orientated roof.

Down here in Devon I see thousands of houses being built everywhere but no extra sources of water being provided and sewerage being dumped in the rivers and sea because they can’t cope with all the extra people having a dump after breakfast.

Another looming problem caused by the way we allow the large building companies to operate is they love of building on flood plains. Makes their life easy. But means a rise in flood risks and a loss of areas that could help prevent floods by acting as temporary storage/sinks to help control river flows.

But apparently the "market knows best" dunnit! :-/

I thought it was interesting how recently installed a lot of the interconnectors shown on the map in that story were.

Presumably the more infrastructure like this is in place, the easier it is for neighbours to share/trade energy and manage their supply. It sounds like that's what France is doing right now - using the UK feeds to allow them to take their nuclear offline for maintenance so it's running full steam for the winter.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned and I've missed it. However IIUC a bloke who was interviewed on TV last night said much the same as I've been arguing for. In his terms we need to 'cap' the price that our (Crown territory offshore) gas *extractors* can require, and sell is the gas we want at that cost. As he pointed out, the onshore 'suppliers' aren't the problem, and aren't making the mega-profits. So capping them simply shoots them and us in the foot as we shovel money at the offshore companies.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned and I've missed it. However IIUC a bloke who was interviewed on TV last night said much the same as I've been arguing for. In his terms we need to 'cap' the price that our (Crown territory offshore) gas *extractors* can require, and sell is the gas we want at that cost. As he pointed out, the onshore 'suppliers' aren't the problem, and aren't making the mega-profits. So capping them simply shoots them and us in the foot as we shovel money at the offshore companies.

I'm not all that keen on nationalising everything but could this be a case where the government should step in and buy the asset so that we all benefit or pay for the security?

See post 1897

Is there a good reason why the govt couldn’t leave us on British Summer Time? This could help reduce energy consumption over winter?

I'm not all that keen on nationalising everything but could this be a case where the government should step in and buy the asset so that we all benefit or pay for the security?

The snag with buying the asset (if you mean the company and all the equipment, etc, it owns) is that you have to needlessly pay our for things you may not need. Better with a strategic resource of national interest (the gas/oil *produced*) to take control of that as you then pay a price you can better afford and the extractor still gets some profit. Which in turn may pay *some* wages and pension fund contributions, etc, back into the UK

The Ecotricity guy got this right. In effect you cap the price given to the producer (extractor) for the amount of product (gas/oil) you need. They can still make their 'usual profit' on that, and sell at a higher price any surplus elsewhere.

The above parallels the error of selling off such assets in the first place.

Thatcherism/ Toryism sold off the lot for a quick, short-term price that let them drop taxes (for a time). Then we've all paid for that ever since. (And the wealthy chums of the Tories have done nicely from having got hold of what we sold.)

Norway did things the other way. They kept the ownership and control. No quick buck from sell-off. But steady supply at a controllable cost, regardless of 'world markets', etc. It made sense *not* to sell off the extraction as we did *in the first place*. But that isn't where we are now that Thatched piddled it away.

I’ve not been following this news story so I hope this isn’t a silly question. How long do people expect these high prices to last for?

I bet the energy companies will find ways of spreading payments and that’ll help people if it’s just a blip - one year of high prices spread over a few years.

If it is structural, it’s a much more serious problem.

I’ve not been following this news story so I hope this isn’t a silly question. How long do people expect these high prices to last for?

I bet the energy companies will find ways of spreading payments and that’ll help people if it’s just a blip - one year of high prices spread over a few years.

If it is structural, it’s a much more serious problem.

Forecast is something like minus 4% in January 2024 and dropping from there but which will probably still be around the £5k mark unless those tory bstards do something in the meantime.

Aye they could send Scottish schoolkids to thier deaths in midwinter by retaing British Summer time that would would help, less people and all that.

advertisement

Back