advertisement

Gary Peacock RIP

from the trios of Paul Bley and Bill Evans to the groups of Tony Williams, Lowell Davidson and Albert Ayler.

The singular Lowell Davidson title on ESP is excellent IMO, an individual style sitting somewhere between Paul Bley and Cecil Taylor. Unfortunately Davidson's career was tragically cut short.

Gilles Peterson span this track a couple of weeks back, and it's remarkable (the LP seems to be as rare as hen's teeth!):

Helen Merrill With Gary Peacock Trio - Until It's Time For You To Go (Japan, 1971) - YouTube

Must admit, I missed the news of his passing and have been taking the opportunity to go through some of his back catalogue. Really really enjoying When Will the Blues Leave.

Featuring Masahiko Satoh no less. I saw him playing with Takeo Moriyama at Cafe Oto before covid but missed him in a sextet with Peter Brotzmann. What a varied career Satoh-san has enjoyed!

Came across this in wiki:
After graduating, Peacock attended the Westlake School of Music in Los Angeles but was then drafted into the Army.[9] While stationed in Germany, he played piano in a jazz trio, but switched to bass when the group's bassist quit.[2][9] Peacock recalled: "The bass player got married, and his wife didn’t want him out any more. The band’s drummer... said, 'You play bass.' I said, 'I don't want to play bass...' As it turned out, he found a pianist, and I started playing the bass."[6] According to Peacock, he "just sort of figured it out":[10] "I seemed to progress pretty rapidly in a very short time. And since I was stationed in Germany and there weren't any bass players anywhere, it allowed me to be available to play sessions with different people in Frankfurt and the surrounding areas."[6] He also recalled: "The instrument felt natural. It just turned out to be a recognition, like, 'Oh, this is it. This is good.'"[11]
I find this staggering!
Yesterday I was watching a documentary on Jacqueline du Pre and she is having some downtime from playing the finest Elgar Cello Concerto ever, playing the piano beautifully!!
Anyways, listening to Seanm’s recommendation as my PFM record of the day…

advertisement

Back