advertisement

Gary Newman and Billy Idol

zekezebra

pfm Member
Advanced apologies for getting in two questions at once but always loved the known singles by both artists. Are there any albums worth checking out?

The first two Tubeway Army albums (self-titled and Replicas) and Numan’s Pleasure Principle are certainly well worth having. The first album predating the move to synths but still standing as a decent new-wave album, the latter two essential. Replicas really did fall from the sky without precedent, a whole new thing at time of release to my then young ears. The stark cold Moogs fitting perfectly the sense of isolation and paranoia.

It’s Numan in terms of spelling. My favourite early one is The Pleasure Principle and lasts years Savage is one of his best in over 30 years I reckon. Depending on whether you like his now more industrial inspired sound Hybrid might be a good starting point. It has some old favourites re-imagined in the direction of his now newer sound.

Numan’s output upto 1980 (Telekon) is essential though the follow up Dance is enjoyable, it has Mick Karn playing bass on it. I also have a soft spot for Warriors (1983).

As others have stated Pleasure principle and Replicas are both worth getting, not so much as Lps but for the odd stand out song on them. With the stand out songs being 'Metal' and the other one that was sampled by those house music guys, 'ME'. TBH I've just realise the first lp isn't that good apart from 'Cars', which is worth it as I personally find playing 7"s a pita.

I only got round to watching Synth Britannia a few days ago and was quite surprised to see how Gary Newman was viewed. I was obviously aware of him in the 80s but saw him as some sort of lame Bowie impersonator. I guess I saw him through the eyes of music journalists - none of who seemed to have a very high opinion of him if I recall - and pretty much dismissed him out of had as did all of my mates. It was interesting to see him viewed as something of a trailblazer.

I will have to go back for another listen.

Kevin

Numan's last album Savage is superb, saw him do it Live at the RAH last year, amazing gig. Of course Replicas remains brilliant.

I only got round to watching Synth Britannia a few days ago and was quite surprised to see how Gary Newman was viewed. I was obviously aware of him in the 80s but saw him as some sort of lame Bowie impersonator. I guess I saw him through the eyes of music journalists - none of who seemed to have a very high opinion of him if I recall - and pretty much dismissed him out of had as did all of my mates. It was interesting to see him viewed as something of a trailblazer.

The music journalists of the time didn’t seem to get him at all, plus his Asperger’s, so responsible for the isolation and paranoia of the music, put up a barrier to interviews etc. He was ahead of the game and really kick-started the UK synth pop scene, charting well before OMD, Human League etc. There is a unique sound to that 78-80 period, a copy of no one IMHO.

Numan’s output upto 1980 (Telekon) is essential though the follow up Dance is enjoyable, it has Mick Karn playing bass on it. I also have a soft spot for Warriors (1983).

“Cry, the Clock Said”. Is a beautifully constructed slow track from Dance. Shows off the early Linn drum machines and sequential Circuits Prophet synths to their best. Good hi fi demo too...

Has that same feeling as Japan’s Ghosts.

I will have to go back for another listen.

Kevin
To me,
Are Friends Electruc still has power and sounds both unique and not out of place all these years later.

I was at the Hammersmith odeon on two subsequent tours, when the “Living Ornaments” live abd retirement sets were captured.

Ornaments is one of his best IMO
particular the much more punchy version of Down in the Park

Would also recommend the LP before 'Savage' -- Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind). One of the best sounding LPs in my collection, and that is high praise indeed. Hugely dynamic with some of the deepest bass I own on LP; it's also excellent musically.

Billy Idol is a great live singer.
Steve Stevens is an amazing guitar talent - quite unique

I love this. Unplugged

Numan, lots to like, Telekon is a fav of mine. Pleasure Principle as well.

Billy Idol doesn't seem in the same league, I own none of his output.

Savage and Splinter are excellent. The early output is essential, especially if you were around at the time and into that genre. I was, and still am.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back