advertisement

Garrard Music Recovery Module MRM 101

This is very interesting...

FM Acoustics has a similar system in their top phono stages - click/pop removal all done in analogue and in real-time. I couldn't work out how it was done.

but seems Garrard has done similar about 50 yrs ago!!

IIRC it wasn’t especially rated at the time from an audiophile perspective, I suspect it’s little more than a transient spike-filter/limiter. Interesting item though.

IIRC it wasn’t especially rated at the time from an audiophile perspective, I suspect it’s little more than a transient spike-filter/limiter. Interesting item though.

Predictably, I have one and that's pretty much all it is. If you turn up the click removal control too much, it actually takes small chunks of music out! If you adjust it carefully,though, it does sort of work in a reasonably effective way.

Not really worth £115, though. Rumour has it that the Marantz SX-72 is far more effective for not much more money, although I haven't managed to lay my grubby mitts on one of those, yet.

The trouble with all these analog units is they tended to inspire you to take much better care of your records. The gateing to my ears was always audible -sorta volume pumping. Enjoy the SWeet Vinyl units and the Parks Audio Puffin -digitizing -then denoising-and bringing the output out in either a analog or digital signals doesn't seem to have any drawbacks to my admittedly old ears.

advertisement

Back