advertisement

Garrard 401

Hi Joel, effinity et al,

Just thought I’d add my experience with the 401.

I have had mine about 2 years and it’s been given the full Lorciraft service – well recommended – it’s not just the bearings and motor that gets attention – the strobe light and speed control mechanisms etc might also need work. Well worth getting the whole thing to them if you can stand the carriage.

I found in general the 401 is wonderful – fantastic engineering and very cool retro looks. I would also recommend calling Terry or Nigel at Loricraft – they have forgotten more about the 401 than most people ever knew and are full of enthusiasm for the product – nice guys to deal with.

I’m running mine with the Lorciraft cork mat (nice 2 part design with a cut out for the record label) and the rubber damping o-rings which go around the circumference of the platter.

I’ve only used home made plinths but here’s my experience. All the below is using an Incognito wired, michell counterweight RB300 plus Goldring GL1042:

Very heavy multi layer mdf – I solidly mounted the 401 to this and found it dulled the sound a little. Rumble etc was nonexistent but it robbed the deck of some life and energy in the treble. However I have heard that this may be due to the material – multi layer plywood or hardwood might be much better.

Heavy MDF base with lightweight top layer separated by squash balls – better than above, much improved isolation giving better dynamics and PRaT.

Lighter ‘skeletal’ type base (MDF) plus top layer and squash balls – better still – much ‘quicker’ sound with less bass overhang.

Lighter ‘skeletal’ base plus top layer and sorbothane squashy bits – better again – smoother presentation and doesn’t go off level as easily. The sorbothane bits were pinched off the bottom of a redundant Mission Isopolat.

I’ll try and get some digital pics done and put them up. If you want to know anything more just PM me. Good luck!

Ta,

Rich

Rich,

Very interesting feedback re Lorricraft, certainly expands on the choice of plinth 'character'.

Maybe I have'nt seen enough of them in real life but no matter how good the wood on a light/pale wood finished plinth is they always seem to clash with the 401, to me, and look home madey.

A bit like putting a brown strap on my 30yr old Omega seamaster watch with its black face and silver detail. A beige strap though! could be the answer.

I accept that could be a crass statement in some respects but for me black is the colour of my true love's plinth, if piano'd then all the better! :p

I'm not so crass as to not realise there are other 'technical' considerations to take into account other than the colour of plinth.

Ultimately I suppose one has to decide to go down a particular route and then trust the process as what you end up with is unlikely to change for a long time because with turntables the process can be so fiddly.

At best one is ecstatic with the results, at worst its deflation and thoughts of ebay selling.

Joel,

I've emailed you with news of the plinth.

Steve

Steve,

Yeah, I’m with you on the piano black lacquer – I saw a 401 many years ago in a hifi shop in Northampton which looked very good. No idea how it sounded but it looked good!!

I have a feeling the ideal might be something like the plywood being used by Loricraft for their 601 – have a look at www.garrard501.com.

I’d like to try a make another plinth of the same design as my current one but in plywood. I’m with Tony on the idea of a light top plate and a heavier base – but not too much and not in MDF. Multi layer plywood with the grain in alternate directions would be a nice one to try….

The best bit is that if you have the necessary time, tools, ability and inclination, lots of fun han be had in the garage knocking up various plinth alternatives for not so much outlay.

Rich

Last year I built a plinth for my 401 which was basically the on that lee put a picture of earlier (by Dr M S Imbabi) I made the inside from mdf and the outside from inch thick hardwood.(almost exactly as the plans but continued the hardwood all way to the bottom and did nt leave a step) The whole thing is very heavy. I placed the top board onto sorbathane sheets were it touched the chassis to isolate/damp it and this seemed to work very well (you can tap the sides when playing and not hear any difference). As I wanted the whole project not to get out of hand money wise I fitted an originlive modded 250 arm and am using a denon DL 103 certridge with it. All in all it cost £125 for 401,£50 for wood,plus arm and cartridge.
To my ears it sounds fab and since I hooked it up to my nac 72 its really singing.
I would encourage anyone to have a go I priced up the plinth locally and was quoted £150 to make it if you cant do it all yourself, you will be shocked at the sound,my mate could nt believe it for the money compared to his LP12.

Clive Smith

Thank you to steve (got the photos, thanks!), Rich and Clive. Lots of interesting (if somewhat contradictory) information in there.
I will probably go down the heavy plinth route.
I hope to visit shindo-san in the near future.

Hi Joel (Richard, Clive)

Do they not have garden sheds in Japan? :)

You could take some of that beautiful Japanese hardwood and with the right aptitude and a patient attitude ( I envy Rich and Clive!) along with some deep meditation, and reveal the plinth waiting to be sculpted and born into Zenvinyland.

The interplay of mind and matter is what we call hi fi!

Steve

Originally posted by effinity

Do they not have garden sheds in Japan? :)
Steve,
Those are called "detached houses" here. We live in a walk-in closet.
I like the idea about letting the form of the plinth express itself. Sadly, I have neither the time nor skills necessary to reveal the "inner plinth" But it's true, vinyl is has a slightly zen aspect. This would perhaps explain it's popularity with Buddhist and Shinto priests (I kid you not).

Joel,

quoting you:-___________________________________________
"popularity with Buddhist and Shinto priests (I kid you not)."

I can understand them liking music, you're saying they have systems? :D

Steve

This thread is making me ill!
Some years ago, I was 'given' an unmarked , boxed, hardly used 401, by a friend. He had lost interest and knowing I was a bit involved in hi-fi, wanted me to flog it for him. I knew its reputation, but was involved in trying to start up a business at the time, so, as I was passing Terry's place, I flogged it to Loricraft for £100. I am now pig sick. I want it back. I've heard a few and I want one.

Incidentally, on the question of rumble. I seem to remember reading an article in Hi-Fi World sometime around the early 90's, where someone.... (could have been Haden Boardman, or one of the non Loricraft Garrard people, can't remember).. had decided that the rumble problem was little to do with the bearing, but more to do with innaccurately aligned eddy brakes. I wouldn't know personally, 'cos I don't own a 401, but it could be worth looking into.
Mull

I would not buy an arm based on its appearance.

Loricraft tend to use top end Rega's, Aro or Schoeder (that is not the correct spelling.)

I would ring them up and ask for advice.

I know they regard the Incognito modified RB300 as very good for the money.

Regards

Mick

Originally posted by Vinnie998
Hi,

Has anyone heard a Dynavector DV505 arm on a 401?

To me, they look great together... but what would it sound like?

Don.

If I was prepared to spend that kind of money on the Dynavector arm, I'd be really interested by this combo. I've often wondered too!

I've joined the 401 club!

It came today via e-bay, so I realised it was a bit of a risk at the time but I dont think i've done to badly.
Its a late model with brown paintwork and the pressed steel Garrard logo on the faceplate. It comes complete with a plinth, arm and cartridge of sorts so i've actually been able to hear it playing. Sounds OK (ish) with no nasty noises from within and everything works as it should. The pitch adjuster is in the center possition when useing the strobe so it seems to be well adjusted.
I've no idea what the arm is but although it moves on its bearings without sticking the arm rest and the figer lift are broken so its for the bin.
The cartridge is a Stanton DJ, i'm trying not to think what its been used for!!
The plinth is no more than a chipboard box.
I dread to think how much it would cost to build a deck like this nowadays. Although i'm led to beleive that quality controll had gone awol by the time my deck was built i've never seen a bit of hifi like it. The motor looks like it could start my car on a cold day and theres enough metal in there to build a bridge.
I think a RB250 will do me nicely for starters and i'm busy trawling the internet for plinth designs.
Right, i'm of to get me' toolbox!

Paul.

i have finally succumb , and bought one of these, came in a mint condition SME plinth with a totaly unmarked perspex cover.
the plinth is good but the deck is making a very light scraping sound every second revolution
i fitted a SME M2 and a shure V15mxr and if i can get the deck running to an aceptable level ie as good as it looks , i will be buying or building a skeletal plinth for it .
anybody any ideas about the scraping ?

alternatively anybody interested in a SME plinth ?

REGARDS bbbb

Congrats new guys on your 401s. I've never heard a 401 in an SME plinth, but legend has it that they are completely in adapted to the demands of the 401.

Good luck with your projects, and remember that after the plinth it's the power supply that needs looking at :D

What are the power supply options? I know Lorricraft make one, but are there any other makers? There was a DIY schematic floating around also - anybody tried that route?

advertisement

Back