advertisement

Garrard 401-Suggestions for Tonearm

reilly.martin2

Having just acquired a nice Garrard 401 motor unit and plinth looking for a tonearm to partner with it, it has arm-boards to accommodate 9 and 12 inch SME and one as yet uncut.

Would be really interested to know members experiences with partnering tone arms
Many Thanks.

I'd think about the arm and cartridge in combination, e.g. if you have an interest in a say an SPUGT the arm requirement is very different to say a 2M Black. The Garrard is good enough for any combination you care to mention, it's the arm / cart combo that needs to be right as that's where the maths comes in (mass, compliance etc)!

Thanks Tony- I think I need to do some homework on the technical considerations of arm and cartridge matching. Any links to articles anyone?

I would suggest you do find the images page of a google search on the 401 and see what combos come up apart from the usual SME fare.

For example, I know of several Dynavector 500 series applications and several Trans Fi air bearing ones.

FWIW, I have a slate plinted 401 with a Mørch UP-4 with a Zu Audio modded Denon DL 103R. I think it is a little too polite on replay and am considering putting a Trans Fi air bearing arm on with either the same cartridge or Denon variant or possibly a Len Gregory Musicmaker III or an Entré MC-1.

P

I would suggest you do find the images page of a google search on the 401 and see what combos come up apart from the usual SME fare.

For example, I know of several Dynavector 500 series applications and several Trans Fi air bearing ones.

FWIW, I have a slate plinted 401 with a Mørch UP-4 with a Zu Audio modded Denon DL 103R. I think it is a little too polite on replay and am considering putting a Trans Fi air bearing arm on with either the same cartridge or Denon variant or possibly a Len Gregory Musicmaker III or an Entré MC-1.

P

Thanks P very nice arm the Morch thanks for suggestion will have a look as you suggest

I am using a 12" Jelco 750L and an Ortofon Kontrapunkt b cart and it works fine for me

Alan

Thanks Alan

Yes I am reading good things about the Jelco arms and one for the shortlist. It has the traditional look like the usual SME recommendations.

Hadcock have also been mentioned as a good partner to the 401, though I gather they can be fiddly to set up. Maybe not one for someone not that experienced like myself or maybe a way of gaining experience?

I've transferred an Aro and DV17D3 from an LP12 and think that they work really well on the 401 with a solid ply plinth.
I've got an SME 3012 waiting for me to make a new plinth but the Aro seems to match so well that I'm struggling to get motivated. I get the impression from various comments that unipivots seem to compliment the 401.

Another vote for the Jelco 750L but you need the beefed up collar mounting, and if you're going to use an SPU the heavier counterweight

Sounds great on my 401 with all forms of DL103 and beautiful with the SPU . If money is no problem there are probably slightly better arms to go for, but in my world I would rather spend the money saved on more / better records

I've had a Nima working well on my 401's, Tabriz is better (and a bargain 2nd hand)

I'm in a minority, but didn't rate the 12" Jelco (on mine at home so its all FWIW, IMO) although my friend has a 9" with an SPU that is nice.

I think the point is, you can stick anything on it, get the arm/cart balance right it'll sing whatever it is.

I have heard the Fidelity Research arms sound lovely on a Garrard, so if one of those turned up, I am sure you would be happy.

The FR arms can indeed work well with a Garrard. I use a FR64s with my 301 and it's a lovely combo with my decca and FR carts.

The key point, though, is what Tony mentioned first up. You have to think of the arm in combination with the types of cartridges you're likely to end up using.

Any arm will sound lovely on a Garrard - it's just a motor unit, and as such it's scope is only limited by the physical plinth size and structure. The 'matching arms to decks' thing really only applies to small suspended subchassis decks like say a Linn, Gyro etc - these can't take a long or heavy arm as it wont physically fit or would unbalance the deck's suspension. With a Garrard, SP10 or any other proper motor unit you really can do whatever you like: 9", 10" 12", low mass, high mass, air bearing parallel trackers, more than one arm, anything! Nothing is 'too good' either, e.g. want a Triplaner, Ikeda, Breur or whatever? Then go grab one. Grab two or three if you like / your plinth is big enough.

I suspect much of the choice seems to be based around aesthetics, and nothing looks nicer than say a SME 3012 or Ortofon RM309 on these vintage decks, but that's missing the point - *any* arm will work fine. Just make sure to choose it in combination with the cartridge - it is the arm / cart that needs to be mathematically correct when it comes to mass / compliance etc. The 401 just spins the record around.

I've transferred an Aro and DV17D3 from an LP12 and think that they work really well on the 401 with a solid ply plinth.
I've got an SME 3012 waiting for me to make a new plinth but the Aro seems to match so well that I'm struggling to get motivated. I get the impression from various comments that unipivots seem to compliment the 401.

I use a Decca Unipivot Arm and Decca SC4E or a Decca London Grey Export on my 401...

It f'in SLAYS. :D

Check out the Diamond of the SC4E...

images

I fancy the look of the 12" arm that John Devore is using on a 401 in this picture;

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=722

Anyone know what it is?

I have limited experience, but I found the Audionote Arm One really good on my 401. I only tried an AO RB250 and an Origin Live Silver Mk 2 before that - nothing fancy - but the AN arm really tightened things up.

Looks like some DIY applied to an EMT 997?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=121234170578

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I fancy the look of the 12" arm that John Devore is using on a 401 in this picture;

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=722

Anyone know what it is?

I have limited experience, but I found the Audionote Arm One really good on my 401. I only tried an AO RB250 and an Origin Live Silver Mk 2 before that - nothing fancy - but the AN arm really tightened things up.

Thanks for pointers Elephantears in doing some homework found an old thread with reference to your trying the OL Silver MK2 was very informative.

I really love the sound my Nima / 401 makes (it replaced a 3009 non-improved and consigned my trusty Lp12 to ebay!). Recently replaced a Dv20X with a Rondo Bronze and things have got even better!
Mark

advertisement

Back