advertisement

Garrard 401 Spindle Question

How much play is normal in a spindle of a Garrard 401 with the platter removed?

I just got my hands on a Garrard 401...I don't notice any play with the platter in place but there is noticeable horizontal and vertical play in the spindle with the platter removed...is this normal for a good bearing?

My other experience is a grease bearing Garrard 301 that has zero play with the platter removed or the platter on it...I know the oil bearing design for the 401 is different but I don't know how much different?

Any help would be appreciated! Chuck

I don't think it should have any detectable horizontal play, but the vertical bearing just sits on the pad at the bottom, so you might well be able to lift the spindle slightly.

Yes, should be nice and tight horizontally, but plenty of play vertically as there is a couple of mm gap around the retaining circlip at the bottom. Assuming the horizontal play is not too horrific try using a fairly thick oil e.g. a 90 weight GL-4 gear oil as it will kind of fill the gaps.

Tony.

Update: I took the bearing apart and re-oiled everything (with sewing machine oil) and that took care of the horizontal play. It was bone dry.

I wanted to get some quick feedback because I was thinking about returning it and I was a little freaked out because I was used to the feel of the 301 grease bearing.

I am not sure why I only noticed the play with the platter off, other than it is much easier to wiggle a spindle than it is to wiggle the massive platter.

Thanks for the all the replies!

Chuck

Most likely you only noticed the play with the platter off s the platters weight "centers" the bearing assembly and kind of keeps the whole system in balance. Or that is my guess anyway as I had the same issue few years back before put some oil there. However now my machine is fully serviced by Loricraft and no play is present anymore.. :)

advertisement

Back