advertisement

Garrard 301 reassembly

DarrenW

Oxygen User
Trying to get my garrard back together and fitted the smothing cap but run into problems - has anyone got a snap of the switch mechanism to show how the copper contacts fit into the plastic mouldings

its the bit under the funnel shaped plastic cover in snap below I am interested in - spent 30 minutes googling photos with no joy - if I knew what it was called it might be easier so a name for my pain would be helpful

Platter%20off.jpg

thanks in advance

rgds
darren

further googling reveals its a picture of the contact springs fitting into the switch block that I need Please

anyone ?

thanks

Darren

Patrick

MAny thanks - that is really very kind of you and a life saver

I presume from my memory of capacitors that there is no polarity issue here or am on a 50:50 chance of blowing it up?

thanks once again - I had a feeling that was how it should go but it wouldn;t fit - turns out I soldered the wire in from the wrong side and the wire itself was preventing mine from fitting properly between the plastic nodules

Huge thank you

Kind regards
Darren

I don't think there is a polarity as it's going across AC mains. I certainly don't recall any polarity when I swapped the cap on my 124/II, but that was a long time ago.

Tony.

PS Nice looking grease 301, when / where did you get that?

Thanks Guys - I couldnt see how it could be given it was across the mains but thought it woioise to ask before taking the plunge - all seems to be working fine now and managed to put it back together without any new additions to the spares box!

yes its a borrowed snap from my earlier googling - its the closest I got to the snap I was looking for which Patrick so kindly provided

mine is a a cheap and cheerful oil one but sounds pretty good nonetheless

did you get your plinth sorted tony? are there pictures of slate lovelyness that I have missed - if it looks nice I might go that way myself

Rgds
Darren

did you get your plinth sorted tony? are there pictures of slate lovelyness that I have missed - if it looks nice I might go that way myself

Still waiting on the slate plinth, I get the impression they broke one cutting it so are starting again.

Tony.

mine is a a cheap and cheerful oil one but sounds pretty good nonetheless

Opinion is very much divided on whether grease or oil version is better (they do sound very slightly different), think LP12 circus or Non circus, but much more polarized :D

Either choice is mute if you gravitate towards a Shindo bearing but, at that point, the smart money was on an oil bearing because it cost less...

Borellus,

What's the difference between the grease and oil bearing sonically?

Joe

IMO the grease bearing sounds a bit "darker", slightly more pitch stability and a little more bass weight. The oil bearing has a greater sense of agility and air about it. Not much in it really, I like both. ;)

This is based on decks that have been professionally serviced though...

Thanks, Borellus.

Sounds like I'd prefer the greasy one. :)

Joe

You would need to hear both side by side to hear the (very slight difference IMO) Most ex Linnies I know seem to prefer the oil bearing. Me? I would happily live with either ;)

advertisement

Back