advertisement

Garrard 301 pulley

reddish75

pfm Member
Having put together a Garrard 301 that I got in bits I'm struggling to get the speed set correctly, it doesn't seem that the idler wheel is pushing against the platter properly, I'm trying to figure out what I could be and I'm looking firstly at the pulley, realising that I don't actually know which part relates to which speed!

On the attached pic what speeds are 1, 2 and 3 and which way around on the motor spindle does it go?

Perfect so one is 78 and three is 33rpm.

I take it that it goes on the motor spindle that way around I.e grub screw at the top?

Yes, the wider circumference drives the idler, and therefore the platter, faster. You will need to align it on the motor spindle at the correct height, and this needs to be done in a usage context, i.e. with the chassis mounted and the motor floating freely on its springs. If you are having issues getting the speed selector to engage smoothly and everything run correctly you may have issues with the rubber grommets at the back of the deck that support/decouple much of the linkage mechanism. I’m well out of touch with Garrards, so have no idea where you go for parts etc these days.

Have you got the springs connected to the idler ‘transport’? From memory there’s 2 and one of them is a bugger to attach.

The manual is as good a place to check, Classic Turntable Co pretty much rebuilds/ manufactures all the bits and pieces you need.

advertisement

Back