advertisement

Garrard 301 advice

neilm

pfm Member
Ok, my Dad has an old Garrard 301 turntable and SME arm (with detachable headshell, so I guess less desirable). If I want it I can have it. I am assuming that as an old and derelict beast it may well but will require a degree of fettling to turn it into something useful.

What advice would the collective give as to the best thing to do with it? I am happy to invest money in a project if that makes sense but could really do with some informed opinion on the best course of action.

many thanks in advance

Neil

That's quite a gift!

The first course of action should be to send it off to Dominic at Northwest Analogue for a thorough check-over and service. He's not expensive and does a great job - I speak from experience as I didn't recognise my rather distressed 401 at first when it arrived back from him!

The next step is to have a listen to the deck and see what you think of it. If it's fairly original then it's probably not in the sort of plinth that will allow you to get the best from it and so a new plinth would be a very wise first investment if you like what you hear and want to improve on it.

The SME is a lovely old thing and has 'niceness' in spades, but really can be bettered in overall sonic terms by a newer arm, so again this is something to consider.

Finally, you don't mention what cartridge is currently fitted but I suspect this will need a new stylus at the very least.

Above all, enjoy it. It's a beautiful deck and well worth fettling to get the best from.

Thanks, yes they look interesting. The deck is not with me and I am considering best options, so will make contact with Dominic and see what can be determined remotely before taking further steps
thanks
Neil

advertisement

Back