advertisement

Gardening

blimey! He's a biggy, but if he's that confident in daylight it's almost sure because the poison has got him. I think you might be saying goodbye in a day or so.

I do hope so as I don't want them living here :(

Just checked the box , No poison touched , Thats day 2 now.

First run out of the Sthil mower this morning ,

Maybe the fact that you’re out and about, active in the garden now, will deter the rats. I’d make sure you do something every day - even if it’s just moving things about - to let them know it’s your territory now.

It’s not funny though, I can imagine how you feel. I’m sure they will go away though.

Have you asked your neighbours if they see rats?

Maybe the fact that you’re out and about, active in the garden now, will deter the rats. I’d make sure you do something every day - even if it’s just moving things about - to let them know it’s your territory now.

It’s not funny though, I can imagine how you feel. I’m sure they will go away though.

Have you asked your neighbours if they see rats?

Not seen the neighbours that back onto my garden yet , If it's not raining I will do cut 2 with the mower as it was on the long side so took the top off with the first cut , 3 builder bags full , I am waiting for a composter to arrive tomorrow .

oh ok. tho in honesty, rats are ok now
There are 2 things that rats are dangerous about...pissing in your water supply (I take it you don't have a private well?) and the plague. Apart from that they are just big mice really, and i like mice.
As I say, they are where they are to eat. No food = no rats.

Probably the last cut of the year for our back garden:

Still plenty of winter veg in the raised beds though :)

Excellent. My garden is a little smaller than yours. Is that Cavolo Nero I'm seeing on the left? It looks very healthy. How old is it? I've planted some this year from seed and it has been absolutely hammered by caterpillars from Cabbage White butterflies. I've picked them off frequently and sprayed a couple of times, but my plants are a fraction the size of yours. I'm just hoping that as the weather cools, the caterpillars will die off while the Cavolo keeps on growing, as I believe it is winter hardy.

If I plant more next year I'll keep it under netting to keep the butterflies out, but any tips will be gratefully received.

Excellent. My garden is a little smaller than yours. Is that Cavolo Nero I'm seeing on the left? It looks very healthy. How old is it? I've planted some this year from seed and it has been absolutely hammered by caterpillars from Cabbage White butterflies. I've picked them off frequently and sprayed a couple of times, but my plants are a fraction the size of yours. I'm just hoping that as the weather cools, the caterpillars will die off while the Cavolo keeps on growing, as I believe it is winter hardy.

If I plant more next year I'll keep it under netting to keep the butterflies out, but any tips will be gratefully received.

Hi pal

Certainly is; I've also got x2 8ft rows of beets in the ground, red sprouts and savoy cabbages on the other side of the garden (behind the garage); the large tub is anya potatoes. I've some winter chard growing, but it's slowed right down now...

Re the brassicas; you MUST keep them under netting until the plants are strong then the caterpillars will do some damage, but not a lot as they can't eat that much. Or, just leave the netting up

I use the fence; I've screws in the batons and I put the netting right over and then down to the sleeper; that gives them a solid cover for months

This is what I use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B4D8BQM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

As it comes folded; it's really easy to unravel and lay out; not like a lot of the crap that's rolled and you can't undo it at the best of times

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I do hope so as I don't want them living here :(

Is anyone putting out bird feed regularly? That attracts them like nothing else, kitchen waste in a compost bin too - best to stop until they're gone...

Is anyone putting out bird feed regularly? That attracts them like nothing else, kitchen waste in a compost bin too - best to stop until they're gone...
Only in the depths of winter, when natural food is hard or difficult to find, e.g. under snow. We have a couple of bird feeders, and we hang fatty balls from the tree branches.

Only in the depths of winter, when natural food is hard or difficult to find, e.g. under snow. We have a couple of bird feeders, and we hang fatty balls from the tree branches.

I'm not hanging my fat balls from a tree branch :eek:,

Oh hold on the bird feeding ones OK :D

Depends where you are I guess. They come out of the fields near us after the harvest is in, I'm just on the edge of the city with fields at the end of the street.

Re the brassicas; you MUST keep them under netting until the plants are strong then the caterpillars will do some damage, but not a lot as they can't eat that much. Or, just leave the netting up
This is what I use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B4D8BQM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Netting doesn't stop slugs/snails and they chomp more than cabbage white caterpillars. That netting is good stuff though, Brassica is a bugger; pigeons, caterpillars and slugs all hone in on most brassica (Kale is almost impervious though). It's not that caterpillars do damage; it's the 'orrible mess their poo leaves. I need to check every other day for infestations, and even at this time of year they're still there, bedding down in a furled leaf for the winter.

Pros and cons. The green caterpillars are difficult to see but are not poisonous; therefore good bird (checken?) food. The yellow ones are easily found but useless as food.

I'm not hanging my fat balls from a tree branch :eek:,

Absolutely! Why would one want to display one's enormous testimonials for all to see ? It's likely to make people sycamore.:D

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

you need to get serious - how about an armed robo-dog patrolling your yard?

image.png

https://sworddefense.com/spur/

https://sofrep.com/news/the-future-...y-soon-be-fighting-alongside-american-troops/

Netting doesn't stop slugs/snails and they chomp more than cabbage white caterpillars. That netting is good stuff though, Brassica is a bugger; pigeons, caterpillars and slugs all hone in on most brassica (Kale is almost impervious though). It's not that caterpillars do damage; it's the 'orrible mess their poo leaves. I need to check every other day for infestations, and even at this time of year they're still there, bedding down in a furled leaf for the winter.

Pros and cons. The green caterpillars are difficult to see but are not poisonous; therefore good bird (checken?) food. The yellow ones are easily found but useless as food.

Absolutely! Why would one want to display one's enormous testimonial for all to see ? It's likely to make people sycamore.:D

Slugs n snails are easier to manage though; butterflies landing at all times is hard to keep a cap on, so the netting for me is paramount

Agree re the poo mess; but a good blast with the hosepipe on full whack clears that easy enough :)

have you got a problem with butterfly poo?

The flutterby is the only sequence in their reproductive cycle which can be admired. The ecological cattypillars eat green but shit black; this is obscene but not turd.

Agree re the poo mess; but a good blast with the hosepipe on full whack clears that easy enough :)

I've a very long hose but my garden is unfortunately a lot longer. However, you've given me the idea to use the watering can to de-poo de brassica now that little grey water is required for watering plants. Exc. year for runner and French beans this year, and a heck of a crop of sweet peppers; all shapes, colours and sizes. Lousy year for tom's though.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back