advertisement

Gardening

Herbs.

How do you stop basil going to seed?

How do you stop thyme turning woody and ugly after a couple of years?

I've grow mint in large containers now, in a bit which noboddy looks at with the washing line and shed, it's too invasive and ugly for he ground.

I've given up on chives in my soil. Aliums live for about two years and then like old soldiers, they fade away.

I found a wonderful sage recently, very highly recommended -- Salvia officinalis 'Berggarten"

Annual herbs - basil and the like - you make successive small sowings, the warmer and drier things are, the quicker they run to seed.

Thyme - you take cuttings every 2 years or so and restart.

Chives like poor soil and lots of sun. They should normally last for ever - as kids we knew tham as ever-lasting onions.

Strange; I grow every year in pots and plant out in the greenhouses and eventually the stalks get browned off and mildew slowly becomes apparent. By then it's the end of the season and the tomatoes which are it's used with, usually.

I grow every year in pots and plant out in the greenhouses and eventually the stalks get browned off and mildew slowly becomes apparent.

Generous watering - tom's won't do without it, and the mildew suggests likewise.
Pinching the growing tips out might help?
Also variety might have some part in it.

Thyme in the wild grows best on anthills where it is constantly being buried so I dig it up every year or so and replant it deeper or you can just add more fine soil on top.

Thyme in the wild grows best on anthills where it is constantly being buried so I dig it up every year or so and replant it deeper or you can just add more fine soil on top.

AKA Irishman's cuttings.

It works with lots of things that get woody and unattractive after 3-4 years - lavender, heathers and the like.

Herbs.

If you mean early then the plant in bolting due to lack of water. I water Basil from the bottom and it can get very thirsty in this warm weather.

Once established cut it back hard but leave a little untouched. It'll then grow new young shoots.

I've grow mint in large containers now, in a bit which noboddy looks at with the washing line and shed, it's too invasive and ugly for he ground.

I plant mint(s) in a bottomless plastic pot into the garden and hide the pot with mulch. The runners will grow over the mulch and you can chop them off. After a while when the mint ages pull up the pot and replenish with new mint and soil.

I've given up on chives in my soil. Aliums live for about two years and then like old soldiers, they fade away.

I found a wonderful sage recently, very highly recommended -- Salvia officinalis 'Berggarten"

I grow all these herbs and more from cuttings. So when their time is almost up I grow new cuttings and plant on into small pots before they go into the garden. Many of my herbs came from supermarket left overs. My established Olive and Bay trees came from cuttings going back over 20 years ago. The Rosemary came from a leftover from a small pack bought from ASDA around 25 years ago. Similar with other plants such as our Hibiscus grown from a cutting taken 25 years ago. When I visit interesting gardens I take a small plastic bag, some cotton wool and small but sharp scissors. Naughty eh?

Sometimes I come across some very tasty tomatoes so I'll let them over ripen then plant into small 1" pots of good compost and wrap in cling film. Keep them frost free and come the Spring there will be umpteen tiny dicotyledons that I then plant on into small pots. Tomatoes for free but only the really tasty ones.

I'm about to hand over some fig and seedless grape plants that you guessed it were grown from cuttings.

DV

Herbs.

Thyme - you plant it in my back garden where it dies come the winter.
Alliums - you plant them in my back garden and they take over the world.

The problem with rosemary is that most of them are all over the place, like Boris Johnson’s hair. The upright ones can make a good low hedge though. I grow massive ones in pots where no one can see the untidiness of the plants. I grew a prostrate one for 30 years, it died in the end of course, and I don’t miss it really. The prostrata can look excellent when it goes down a wall, I think the books say “tumbles down a wall.”

Sorrel is another one that’s too ugly for a garden IMO. Like horseradish. And Bay is an enormous dark and boring tree!

A good substitute for thyme is winter savory- it’s easy, lasts for years and years, has gorgeous white flowers that bees love. One of my favourite plants.

Another good one which is ornamental is marjoram. I’ll take a picture of it in about a month when it’s all in flower but I have an ornamental bed with swathes of savory and marjoram, it looks drop dead gorgeous, though I say so myself.

Thyme present and thyme past
Are both perhaps present in thyme future,
And thyme future contained in thyme past.
If all thyme is eternally present
All thyme is unredeemable.
What might have been is an abstraction
Remaining a perpetual possibility
Only in a world of speculation.
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.
Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the herb-garden. My words echo
Thus, in your mind.
But to what purpose
Disturbing the dust on a bowl of thyme-leaves
I do not know.
Other echoes
Inhabit the garden. Shall we follow?”

We were never able to keep thyme going until about three or four years ago planting a couple in a shallow alpine pot in a mix of compost and a lot of grit. And we're in Manchester!

"O the summer time has come
And the trees are sweetly bloomin..."
Etc,.

most Mediterranean herbs thrive in poor, dry soil in native countries, try that over here, works for us

Once they're in there, you can't get them out. I have learned this the hard, expensive way. Throw the box out, there are plenty of other plants which are less trouble.

None of the touted solutions are effective. You can't kill them with insecticide because they're covered in wax. If you try a systemic insecticide you have to reapply ever couple of weeks, and it's real hard, impossible, to get good coverage on a box plant because the leaves are small and dense. The pheromone traps trap some, but not all -- and all it takes is for one or two to get through and you have been wasting your time, because they lay so many eggs. You won't manage to squash every caterpillar.

As Tsung Tzu said (more or less) -- if you can't win, don't fight.

Going to offer an alternative perspective on this one.

We have a couple of box hedges and one trimmed into a ball shape. Last year, we found those evil caterpillars in the round one when we came back from holiday, by which time they’d largely eaten it.

However, Mrs. B was furious as she liked that hedge, and so set to with researching what to do. Her strategy was a follows:

(1) Comb every single web, cocoon and any sign of caterpillar out of the hedge.
(2) Make sure to squash any of the little blighters that you find, and clear the ground underneath as they burrow into the soil and then reappear.
(3) Absolutely drown the entire plant with Bug Clear spray.

She did this a couple of times last year and the plant has recovered and had a decent covering of leaves on it again this year. There were signs of a few caterpillars again which she caught early and so repeated the treatment.

In addition, try and attract wasps to the plant - they eat the larvae, apparently.

advertisement

Back