advertisement

Gardening

Interesting about the butter making it curd. I didn't know this. It's likely the 'expert' was making curd and as I said most people here have no notion that marmalade and jam are not the same thing.

Citrus curds can be marvellous, although I LOVE passion-fruits and a curd from them was/is one of the very best that I have eaten - makes great desserts too with a bit of invention.

Curds are opaque/opalescent.
Traditionally, they'd usually contain egg and butter, but there are lots of variations out there.
Commercial versions will vary more to make large-scale manufacture of stable product a viable option.
Best regrigerated after opening too, but will keep quite a while in the fridge.

Any updates on your plot Al?, interested how you are getting on with it,
hope all is well with you with this heatwave down south.:)

Any updates on your plot Al?, interested how you are getting on with it,
hope all is well with you with this heatwave down south.:)

Not a lot has changed , NO rain , Painted the shed with 2 coats of bitumen paint , Ordered some guttering as the site want plot holders to collect rain water ( err if it rains ) picked up another IBC at the boot sale today , I negotiated a £10 discount and the seller is delivering it to my plot tomorrow , and he is going to wash it our with a jetwash . Ground still like cement , The site had its AGM this week and I was roped into being on The committee .
Cheers for asking :)

Great, glad to hear things are moving in the right direction,
in the committee already, pillar of the community already, congrats. :cool:

It has finally rained , Started at 23.00 and is still raining now , Yippeee :)
One water butt full at home so my Tom's can have a drink again , second butt I think may have a blockage from the stuff that comes off the roof , Will take it apart and clean it out later , Meeting the man at 10.30 who is delivering my second IBC directly to my allotment plot. :)

I thought I’d post this here in case anyone had any relevant experience, thought it’s pretty unusual

This is a Magnolia grandiflora in a 50L pot - it’s about 8 feet tall and it’s very happy. I have three of them and they’re all happy.

9-E81-E07-C-9037-4975-9-BED-E5-FC0-F73-BF4-B.jpg

My question is this: what do I do to make sure it stays happy? Do I repot into a bigger container? (A big job but I guess with help I could do it.) Should I root prune it by removing the roots at the edge of the pot with a saw? (That’s what I do with containerised Phillostachys vivax - so far successfully, but that’s in a much larger container.) Or what?

Or should I do nothing other than feed and water until it shows signs of distress? Or is it already too late once it starts to yellow (it’s too late with containerised junipers, Juniperus comminis ‘compressa’ - they can look happy and then suddenly start to die and I’ve learned that there’s nothing you can do to stop it.)

You see Magnolia grandiflora as container street trees in the City - that’s what gave me the idea to try it. I bought this plant about 4 years ago from eBay, it was about 30cm tall when it came. They clearly enjoy container life!

Unless this is the dwarf cultivar on rootstock, it wants to make 20-30 feet.

Have you had flowers?

One of my most favourite plants. White, complicated structured flowers (which just intrigues me) to maybe 10 inches across, heavenly scented. Borderline hardy in the UK. WOW, more than WOW in flower.

One of the very best that I have seen (UK) was in a VERY small front garden in Measham. I sat in the pub garden oppposite and noticed and could not believe my eyes - totally gob-smacked - it was in flower and hid the front of the house.
There is also a HUGE one/two/three at Leicester Bot. Gardens, against walls, and another against a barn wall at Felley Priory.

GET IT IN THE GROUND, train it up a wall, although it is a small tree/HUGE schrub, so needs no support.

There IS a supposed dwarf cultivar - I have had it flower in a 12 inch pot, but like most magnolias, it loves being damp at the root - no desert and deluge - FAR easier in the ground unless you use a 24 hour drip watering system. Dwarf cultivar flowers are around 6 inches across, but still ..................amazing.

Your pic' does not look like anything but the full monty.

I’ve tried the dwarfs - they’re horrible - here’s M. grandiflora “little gem” about 10 years old, hidden away in the corner of the garden with the shed and the pond filter and the washing line.

B90-B2677-A7-A3-46-DD-9-EB4-E093-AAC3-A4-B6.jpg

More fox damage last night to the irrigation - I just saw it taking that pic - and it’s very hot to repair it, I hate foxes - I want a gun NOW!

M. g. is a small tree/huge shrub. It needs room to be that.
Quite possibly your aspect is wrong?
Have you had flowers?

We are as one with V. vulpes.

I've not tried it but you probably can keep it in a pot, for a while at least - a few years maybe. I would pull it out of the pot in the late winter and look to replace 1/3 of the compost, add some fish blood and bone and prune the growth back a little, perhaps now. A bigger pot would help I think. Think Bonsai. It will gow if you get it right.

I am speaking purely from recieved wisdom.......................... in part.........................
The flowere should smell heavenly :)

I would suspect that the flowering plants are actually the dwarf cultivar......................... how big were the flowers?

Whatever, the same old rules apply - to keep the plant going in the samme pot - chnage the compost as far as reasonaly possible when dormant, feed it and as it is a magnolia, KEEP IT DAMP.

Bottom line - it will want to GROW (outgrow your pot).

What is the botanical term for that lovely brown velvet they have on the underside of their leaves?

What I might do is buy some more little ones, with an eye to replacing my big ones when they go pear shaped. Now - I’m speaking like a REAL gardener!

Wooooow.........

Lots of botanical tems, but hispid should about do....................... which does not convey colour

advertisement

Back