advertisement

Gardening

Isn't Roundup believed to be cancer causing ? Big legal claim going on in the USA

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/business/roundup-settlement-lawsuits.html
Roundup is Glyphosate based. It's a bulls horn dilemma. Some weeds are so invasive and virulent (get some hogweed in your garden and you'll know what i'm talking about) that killing the roots via foliar feed of glyphosate during the high growth season is the only way to control it. there is no substitute. Burning? Nope, doesn't touch the root. You want to dig out the roots.? They go down 2 feet of more and are like leather....leave one inch behind and it'll be back, so...we need Glyphosate or you have ten tears before the whole country vanishes under a sea of balsam, hogweed, knotweed and the rest.
I don't like it and wear elbow length gloves and a mask when using it on non windy days only...I'm as green as they come but it's that or ?

Cointinually mowing many weeds will get rid, or cutting or pulling over and over.

When I moved here, there were countless thistles in one area of bed. I dug the bed over, so severing the roots 6 inches or so down. Then, each evening, mug of tea in hand, I spent maybe 10 mintes pulling each regrowth once it was large enough to hold. All gone in several weeks.

It persists in soil for many weeks.

No it doesn't. Another common fantasy.

Essentially nothing persists these days - they are all banned and have been so for ages.

I know. What effective substitute are you suggesting?

Up thread. Of course I wasn't talking about professionals dealing with difficult or notifiable problems. Covering and weeding will certainly deal with bindweed and couch grass, for example.

Wrestling horses tails and bamboo here. Former from a dodgy soul import by our neighbour. Latter our own fault when we were landscaped 18 years ago. The horses tails are a fraction of what they were when we started lockdown but they’re quietly popping up across the garden and, where they don’t, the bamboo is taking hold. There is immense pleasure in ripping out 12 feet long bamboo roots but I do wish I’d a way of tackling the horses tails. Neighbour has let their garden go to rack and ruin and isn’t likely to be co-operative.

Wrestling horses tails and bamboo here. Former from a dodgy soul import by our neighbour. Latter our own fault when we were landscaped 18 years ago. The horses tails are a fraction of what they were when we started lockdown but they’re quietly popping up across the garden and, where they don’t, the bamboo is taking hold. There is immense pleasure in ripping out 12 feet long bamboo roots but I do wish I’d a way of tackling the horses tails. Neighbour has let their garden go to rack and ruin and isn’t likely to be co-operative.

Glyphosate - if they’re close to plants you want to keep bend them out of the way and paint the leaves with roundup.

Been doing all that thanks. Doesn’t really work, especially the painting the leaves bit. You actually have to break the stem and then spray/paint onto that but it doesn’t really stop the quiet spread.

Working at home has meant that I’ve been able to go out most nights and attack them. I think the most I’ve removed in one go this year was 60 and that after neglecting to act for a week. It looks far better than it did at the start of 2020 but they don’t appear to be going anywhere. They just move by stealth to another location.

Been doing all that thanks. Doesn’t really work, especially the painting the leaves bit. You actually have to break the stem and then spray/paint onto that but it doesn’t really stop the quiet spread.

Working at home has meant that I’ve been able to go out most nights and attack them. I think the most I’ve removed in one go this year was 60 and that after neglecting to act for a week. It looks far better than it did at the start of 2020 but they don’t appear to be going anywhere. They just move by stealth to another location.

Try mixing in a bit of fairy liquid with the glyphosate. Many plants have a waxy coating on the leaves and stems so the weed killer can't penetrate, but the soap solution breaks it down so the glyphosate can get to work. It may well take a couple of applications.

Yes but we don't need it in our food. It persists in soil for many weeks.

If used at the recommended rate of 0.036 grammes per square metre for annual weeds it's mostly broken down in 6 hours, you can plant anything in 24 hours.

We have a problem quantifying persistence now we can detect products or metabolites down to low parts per billion.

After a month you will almost certainly have less glyphosate residue than DDT.

If you're 20 miles downwind of an old power station glyphosate residues would be the least of your worries.

With horsetail in next door's garden you can only enter a long war of attrition; i've got a roadside patch and the horsetail moves in about a metre per year if not killed.

If used at the recommended rate of 0.036 grammes per square metre for annual weeds it's mostly broken down in 6 hours, you can plant anything in 24 hours.

We have a problem quantifying persistence now we can detect products or metabolites down to low parts per billion.

After a month you will almost certainly have less glyphosate residue than DDT.

If you're 20 miles downwind of an old power station glyphosate residues would be the least of your worries.

With horsetail in next door's garden you can only enter a long war of attrition; i've got a roadside patch and the horsetail moves in about a metre per year if not killed.

The half life is about 4-5 weeks apparently. Seeds are impervious that's why farmers will spray and sow

For me, the beauty of growing my own is not to having to use any of this crap anywhere near my food.

The half life is about 4-5 weeks apparently. Seeds are impervious that's why farmers will spray and sow

For me, the beauty of growing my own is not to having to use any of this crap anywhere near my food.

Always the best policy if you can manage without, even the wetters aren't totally benign.

Most of our use is seedbed prep over the next couple of months when it's hot and hopefully moist so breakdown is fast and a lot gets tied up on soil particles becoming unavailable to seedlings emerging in two or three days.

206-B5-D47-D920-417-C-BC93-20407-FA51-CC6.jpg

3-FF02-B31-B46-F-4308-B43-B-BE8-CCCAB0-E81.jpg

A couple of images of my problematic Vitis coingnetiae, in case anyone has any ideas about what’s going on. As you can see, from one side of the trellis it looks as though it’s gone into its normal autumnal behaviour early, and on the other side it looks more poorly.

It’s been fed and watered, well and truly mollycoddled.

Anyway I’m bracing myself for it’s imminent death, and wondering what to replace it with - probably another, but any other suggestions wouldn’t go amiss. Preferably something which will look wonderful in my lifetime.

Yes it’s had sequestered iron, and I can give it more. But it is strange because it has been in place and thriving for over 20 years, the pH of the soil hasn’t changed.

But it’s clear that, when you read articles on the web, vines are subject to all sorts of problems when grown for grapes, as in that article linked by @Copperjacket. It’s just that I’ve never seen them discussed as problematic plants from an ornamental point of view. And my coignetiae is presenting a rather dramatic problem!

Strange that one side of the vine is so much more badly effected than the other. And strange the myriad of colours now on the leaves - it’s often colourful in Autumn, but I’ve never seen it as colourful as it is now.

It is also obviously weakened. By this time of the year I normally have to prune it back. Not so far this year though.

Yes it’s had sequestered iron, and I can give it more. But it is strange because it has been in place and thriving for over 20 years, the pH of the soil hasn’t changed.

But it’s clear that, when you read articles on the web, vines are subject to all sorts of problems when grown for grapes, as in that article linked by @Copperjacket. It’s just that I’ve never seen them discussed as problematic plants from an ornamental point of view. And my coignetiae is presenting a rather dramatic problem!

Strange that one side of the vine is so much more badly effected than the other. And strange the myriad of colours now on the leaves - it’s often colourful in Autumn, but I’ve never seen it as colourful as it is now.

Phytothra (spelling????) - check for susceptability, assuming it isn't on a resistant stock.

Have you changed the surrounding plants especially under planting, or had any work done nearby eg drainage, shed treatment etc? Got a dog esp a bitch who likes to Wee there?

Phytophthora. The images on the web don’t match. My plant’s leaves are not drying up. But thanks for the idea.

That uniform die-back - it is an ex-plant, I'd bet good money on it. If not specifically phytophthora, there are many and various fungi that could be to blame - you could hunt online for ever looking for one that is claimed to produce the very specific symptoms that your plant has.

Take the time to work out what's going to replace it.

Wrestling horses tails and bamboo here.

Admit defeat - you'll only ever control them and only if you keep at it.

Brusing mares tail may help - use something like a paint or wallpaper joint roller a few times before spraying. Same goes for bamboo. The main thing is to get them to ground-level or just below and not to let them get more than 1-2 inches out of it before pulling or spraying.

Not sure if avilable to Joe Public, and quite possibly not a great deal better on these two, but Garlon sees-off really troublesome, pernicious plants.

advertisement

Back