advertisement

Garden Ruin

No, but I read of a review of it which sort of damned it with faint praise, saying it was 'nice' but with the undertone of 'getting into easy listening territory' ('pretty' was another ambiguous adjective used)

I've just downloaded the free acoustic version of 'All Systems Red' - very mellow. I enjoy listening to In The Reins, but would like to see a return to Hot Rail/Feast of Wire. Still, I'm going to pick this up ASAP.

It's definitely mostly mellow, there's very little mariachi on it, there are some very good tunes on it, and it seems like a real grower rather than a more immediate hit.

As I mentioned on the Listening To... thread, the live version of All Systems Red on the DVD that comes with some editions is an absolute cracker.

I have my concerns re: the supposed abandoning of the dusty desert sounds and lyrics. Mostly 'cause that's what I <3'd about Calexico.

So my concerns are valid?

ErikL said:
PS- Nick, do you close your eyes and imagine it's not Calexico? ;-)
:)

It is a little different, and I do mis the mariachi to some extent, but the voice and the songs are what really makes Calexico and I think they're in fine (if subdued) form here.

Alex,

From the website I see the following (none of which I have). Which do you have and are there any standouts from the list?

The Book and The Canal CD [Tour-Only 2005 - NEW Release]
Aerocalexico CD [Tour-Only 2001]
Roadmap CD [Tour-Only 1999]
Scraping CD [Tour-Only LIVE 2002]
Travelall CD [Tour-Only 2000]

cheers

Dan

Dan

I really rate the Roadmap one, although it's only 30 minutes long.

The major caveat is that I haven't listened to them all yet, despite them arriving some time ago. Scraping is VERY good, and ErikL assures me Aerocalexico is essential.

I think that means 'all of them'.

Dan-

I can assure you that "Aerocalexico" is essential. :)

PS- No luck with the Calexico live show archive yet...

advertisement

Back