advertisement

Garage doors

Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Accuphase all the way down
Opened our tired old up-and-over garage door yesterday to put some stuff in the car, and the bloody thing failed and refused to shut. Tried for about an hour but it wasn’t having any. Ended up dismantling it and screwing the door to the inside of the frame, for security.

So, we need a new (single) garage door. Options seem to be another up and over (not keen, this one was always crap and I’m not after another the same. The basic design looks cheap, unless there are well-engineered options for sensible money?); a roller shutter (don’t want it to look like a shop front, and not sure whether you need more room for the roller); or a slatted jobby which rolls up and over. Any benefits/pitfalls the pfm massive can flag up? Also, GRP or steel?

Prolly not looking for a really long term solution as we may reconfigure the garage at some point and need a different opening then anyway, but need >5 years of durable and reliable use, with sensible security.

Thoughts?

We have a Hormann sectional panel electric door. Been in since 2009 when my uncle had it fitted, I've been responsible for it since Dec 2018. Only issue we've had was the original remote button was way too easy to trigger as you returned it to your pocket. My uncle quite often left the door open as a result.

I got a replacement off eBay which solved the problem.

Also Hormann. Had two. Never faltered either of them and the oldest is 24 this year. Light Spray the chain and wheels once a year with good bicycle chain lube. Just works and the exterior finish equally faultless.

I'd go for a roller shutter if there's room above the opening.

Very secure and there are loads of companies to choose from, paint it if you don't like the appearance.

chap next to a gargae i own had GRP , some vandal just punched a hole through it and it had to be repaired . personally not a fan . opened a neighbours GRP today and still not keen . at least with steel you can screw stuff into it if needed . up and over are ok if you get a decent one

you can see the GRP repaired door here

P1060894 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

We have a cheap very old up and over, broke months ago. Cost of like for like over a grand... searched online, few garage door repair people not far away. New arms fitted broken cables replaced etc. £125.00. Works better now then it ever did. Still old and needs a paint job , but will tie us over until we get a new door sometime in the future.

Just a thought, as you’re not looking for a long term set up then I’d look at a Garador Canopy door. Reasons being, as
I mentioned above it’s a quality bit of kit but secondly if you’re likely to be changing the entrance in the future then you can remove and sell the canopy door very easily and you’d likely get a fair bit back if it’s in good condition.

A framed canopy door could be removed by undoing 4 to 6 bolts (no tracks to remove either) and after fitting the spring transit clip (ask to keep this after installation) can be safely transported and reinstalled elsewhere with almost no technical ability.
An advert in a local free paper will likely see you recouping a few hundred quid or more if in good condition ( especially if it’s a 6,6 or 7,6 foot door the most common size for singles).

Most other doors will likely require some experienced help to remove and refit safely!

We have a cheap very old up and over, broke months ago. Cost of like for like over a grand... searched online, few garage door repair people not far away. New arms fitted broken cables replaced etc. £125.00. Works better now then it ever did. Still old and needs a paint job , but will tie us over until we get a new door sometime in the future.

great option if you can do it as old door probably stronger !!

Sadly I had to butcher the old door to get it off and make the opening secure; and it was cheap and S/H when we got it so it owes us nothing. It’s a canopy design, but clearly under-engineered and I never had much confidence in it. But if the Garador ones are decently put together, I’d consider that.

Not sure how secure cheaper roller doors might be. Our neighbour had a roller door installed as a gate in a wall. It blew out in a gale! It has been replaced with one with aluminium slats, he is in the window and doors trade, it came from Spain.

Our old neighbour has a reinforcing batten he uses to stiffen his roller door especially in windy conditions.

Not sure how secure cheaper roller doors might be. Our neighbour had a roller door installed as a gate in a wall. It blew out in a gale! It has been replaced with one with aluminium slats, he is in the window and doors trade, it came from Spain.

Our old neighbour has a reinforcing batten he uses to stiffen his roller door especially in windy conditions.

never had an issue with our aluminium slatted roller door. Locks securely in place.

My neighbour had the corner of his aluminium up and over bent up to gain access for a burglary.

If someone wants to gain access and they can hit it hard enough, they'll get

Opened our tired old up-and-over garage door yesterday to put some stuff in the car, and the bloody thing failed and refused to shut. Tried for about an hour but it wasn’t having any. Ended up dismantling it and screwing the door to the inside of the frame, for security.

So, we need a new (single) garage door. Options seem to be another up and over (not keen, this one was always crap and I’m not after another the same. The basic design looks cheap, unless there are well-engineered options for sensible money?); a roller shutter (don’t want it to look like a shop front, and not sure whether you need more room for the roller); or a slatted jobby which rolls up and over. Any benefits/pitfalls the pfm massive can flag up? Also, GRP or steel?

Prolly not looking for a really long term solution as we may reconfigure the garage at some point and need a different opening then anyway, but need >5 years of durable and reliable use, with sensible security.

Thoughts?

When my garage door went rotten I got rid, now has a window and shed door instead (was always too narrow for modern cars anyway)

A few years back I got a rigid "up and over," but with a "human" door set in it on one side. So If I'm just going in to get something I use that.

Another vote for Hormann here. 15 years without a problem. Steel double door flip back thing with a motorised lift. Impregnable to thieves too. Apparently.

Hormann, yet again, beautiful build quality but they are pricey. You will not need another. I might take mine to the new house if we move.

I remember fitting a Hormann retractable door with an operator and the additional lock set. So there were four latches which actually worked in conjunction with the operator locking mech. It wasn’t a big door and unless you had a Stihl saw or a JCB you weren’t getting in!
Remember, you will see similarities between Hörmann and Garador and for good reason;)

advertisement

Back