advertisement

GAN amplifiers - Are they that good?

I would agree Woodface if visual appeal and pride of ownership were not a thing, but they are and I for one applaud designer’s that try new things. One man’s gimmick is another man’s visual treat. To each their own...
I think faux vintage is the naffest of naff. I would much rather just see a well finished design that follows function.

I believe the designer liked the visual play of the class D circuit in a tube while trying to get the tube sonic signature also. One upshot is that he also used the standard tube base connector, which enables the output circuit to be swapped out like real tubes. They are already in mk2 variants and future improvements, if they come along, can be swapped in. A possible cheap upgrade path.
Clever, I think...

It would be interesting to see what happens if the AGD "valve" was plugged into an actual valve amp. Would the magic smoke get out of the bottle?
:D

On an ever so slightly more serious note. Why on earth would you put the caps inside a bottle with the power stage??? That'll keep the recappers happy (and busy).

It would be interesting to see what happens if the AGD "valve" was plugged into an actual valve amp. Would the magic smoke get out of the bottle?
:D

On an ever so slightly more serious note. Why on earth would you put the caps inside a bottle with the power stage??? That'll keep the recappers happy (and busy).
If only a there was a world where nothing existed between black and white...

I was under the impression one of the main advantages of GaN was the much higher switching frequency. That ensures the filters do not cause phase problems in the audio band. The Technics GaN Integrated has a reported switching frequency of 1.5 MHz. The AGD amplifiers switch at 0.5 MHz, not much better than MOSFETs. In fact, I believe some MOSFETs do switch at that frequency already. Also, what happens to the sound quality in having a plug in device with pins and a socket when it could all be soldered in place? I appreciate the aesthetics (I have a valve amp here) but it is not necessary for solid state. Will still keep an eye out for your review.

I recollect that some years ago solid state plug in replacements for vacuum tubes were available, intended mainly for older industrial equipment. When I first saw this thread I thought the idea had been resurrected, but apparently not.

I can’t wait to try these amps... I really hope they are as great as I am being lead to believe, if only to stop all the negativity about them.

I read about GaN technology a few years ago, as has been stated they offer a number of advantages over Mosfets as output devices, particularly in regard to Class D. Technics R1 amp implements this tech. Not seen much since. This one looks like an Audiofools wet dream.

Some people use solid-state rectifiers no?
Indeed they do, My Jadis amp uses solid state rectification which is common in valve amps. The devices I was thinking of were solid state plug in replacements for power output valves but they seem to have gone off the market.

They say the proof of the pudding… So I borrowed a pair from the importer. Wow! Best amp I have heard at any price, straight out the starting gate… No class D artefacts, just lots of everything, detail, texture, dynamics, power, air, separation, inky blackness. Plus they look quirky, interesting, a modern take on retro, not bland or knocked up in someone’s shed or from the 40’s & 50’s…
£8k can never be classed as a bargain, but you won’t get closer to one!
Just to be clear I have no affiliation to this co or the distributor, all I say is before you dismiss or diss out of hand, try and get to hear them, especially if your into SET but are put off by the drawbacks and the promise of class D has never been achieved…

Looks like a total nightmare from a Right To Repair perspective. Utterly pointless encapsulation to my eyes. Deliberately obnoxious.

Hi Thugger
Thank you! Good to hear about a new product and your review. Hope you’re getting close to your “perfect” system? I’ve been reading your recent threads with interest.
Steve

I read about GaN technology a few years ago, as has been stated they offer a number of advantages over Mosfets as output devices, particularly in regard to Class D. Technics R1 amp implements this tech. Not seen much since. This one looks like an Audiofools wet dream.
AlGaN was developed as an improvement over GaS devices, in the area that needed high power density - military radars.

Audio application is ENTIRELY incidental. Since there were no GaS-based audio amps up to now, I would strongly suggest that the appearance of GaN variant is driven by marketing. And some LED backlight.

The 'review' - that states "lots of everything" is, well, not dispositive.

advertisement

Back