advertisement

Computer/Video Games & Gaming

I like games that last a long time and did fairly serious World of Warcraft raiding up until WOTLK. Was briefly tempted by the impending relaunch of Classic but not sure I have time.

For the last 5 years I have been mostly playing https://www.pathofexile.com/game which is a competitive, action RPG in the style of Diablo II.

The first games I played seriously (and this will mark my age) were ZX81 16k efforts.

For the past decade or so I've had a tendency to get mildly obsessive about particular things.

In the early/mid 00s it was Eve Online (which was pretty groundbreaking at the time), and since then has been DayZ.

I've always suspected there is some kind of relationship between those early ZX81 games (3D Defender/Eve, 3D Monster Maze/DayZ) wherein I'm trying to live out the proper realisation of an idea.

Been playing Resident Evil 2 Remake on my new pc, and with the creepy sounds and walking around in dingy places with just a torch I can honestly say it's surprisingly scary in places. It helps to be playing at night with the lights off and headphones on, but it's not so good when the girlfiend walks in the room, turns on all the lights and puts a load in the washing machine :)

There have been parts in the game where I had second thoughts about going down a dark corridor because it looked and sounded so bloody creepy. There are a few jump scares that had me swearing out loud. Games are getting more and more like movies now and if you like horror films, i'm sure you'd like RE2. What makes RE2 so good are the mix of puzzles, the lack of ammo (you can't just go around with guns blazing), obviously the tension and the fact that you have to use your brain.

I'm sure some people reading this are wondering how a grown adult could be interested in video games and i'd agree if they were still the same as they were back in the day, but they are so realistic now and on a whole new level. I've got pretty much all the old classic arcade games from the original space Invaders and Pacman to Ghosts & Goblins etc and they are ok for a few minutes but get boring pretty quickly.

Oh, quick heads-up - SOMA is free for a limited period on Epic games. I haven't tried it yet, but it gets good reviews and looks like my kind of game.

Another thing - RE2 can be had much cheaper over at cdkeys.com (£25 for the pc version)

Ooh, ta for that. Hadn't heard of it but it looks like it might be right up my street, so to speak.

The music for Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (composed by Jessica Curry) won a couple of BAFTAs and is the only game soundtrack I've bought. Wonderful music in its own right. Music is such a big part of the games I've enjoyed. Looking forward to hearing what Wilson makes of this one.

Mick

Agreed that game music can be excellent. The aforementioned Witcher 3 came with a CD of the music, and I really enjoyed listening to some of it. I’ve also got the soundtracks for a few others, Destiny 2, Anthem etc. Some good stuff.

On the topic of game music, there’s a new programme on R3 about it, worth a listen if you like that sort of thing - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009rfp

Hideo Kojima's latest is out now on PS4 and PC next year. And it's peak Kojima so either pointless and weird walking simulator or a work of genius depending on your POV.

Obivously I will be playing it obsessively for months once it's out on PC.

I have been having a lot of success with Retroarch recently as a front end, running various cores (emulators). Plug and play with a DualShock 4 controller. Been playing a lot of Wipeout 2097 (XL) and Street Fighter Alpha 3 on PS1. CPU used is a £30 Core i5 2500, which has given the power lacking from Pi setups. Intel “Sandy Bridge” is great for old school arcade and console emulation.

Have been having fun with the Nintendo Classic Mini (NES) and picked up a 2nd controller. Really do need the simple joypad, 2 buttons only for the full 8 bit experience. Great to travel with too. Highly recommended!

No Man’s Sky is pretty good now. I was an early adopter and stuck with it, and it’s now so much more than it was at the start, over three years ago.

Mick

Me and the boy are loving it, like advanced minecraft. Not been at it very long, nearly there on crafting the engine that will allow interstellar travel.

Its good we can play in the same game, although he keeps winding up the sentinels and we got into some bother with really big robot things.

There have been loads of big patches over the years and people say it's a decent game now, but most people have just never forgiven them.

Just been googling it and what you say pretty much sums it up. Trailer looked great but the game was nothing like the trailer apparently.

I ended up putting a lot of hours into NMS, loving it from the start. Everything was so fricking difficult at the beginning, inventory caps and management were infuriating. The concept however was magnificent.

Haven’t tried the updates as my save file doesn’t work properly but I understand it’s a lot more accessible.

CDKeys frequently has it for like 12-16 quid which is how I got it. At that price its a no brainer IMO. Had my monies worth already and I dont think I have even started.

I find it really difficult not to be really intelligent and charming.

Just finished The Outer Worlds and only used my electroclub twice.

Really wanted to like the Outer Worlds (big Obsidian / Fallout fan) but couldn't get past the fact that my character was some kind of dwarf or was walking around on their knees pretending to be one.

The FOV is just weird in that game (on Xbox One X - so no FOV adjustment)

It was free to play on Game Pass so no money lost. But a big big disappointment nonetheless.

Yeah, it's a bit crap to be honest.

I'm probably done with gaming until Cyberpunk whenever comes out.

Indeed. Everything pales into insignificance after the masterpiece that was the Witcher 3.

Got high hopes for Cyberpunk next year

Really wanted to like the Outer Worlds (big Obsidian / Fallout fan) but couldn't get past the fact that my character was some kind of dwarf or was walking around on their knees pretending to be one.

The FOV is just weird in that game (on Xbox One X - so no FOV adjustment)

It was free to play on Game Pass so no money lost. But a big big disappointment nonetheless.

Perhaps...you’ve just been stuck in crouch?

advertisement

Back