advertisement

Computer/Video Games & Gaming

Have been playing Divinity Original sin 2 and X com 2 both great strategy games. If you want more action the Witcher 3 is awesome and soon to coming to the screens with no less than superman as Geralt the main character

Over the past 2 weeks I've been zipping thru Skyrim. Couldn't get on with years ago. Had fun this time.

Have been playing Divinity Original sin 2 and X com 2 both great strategy games. If you want more action the Witcher 3 is awesome and soon to coming to the screens with no less than superman as Geralt the main character

Agreed, Witcher 3 is a masterpiece.

I saw a chap in the Czech Republic with a Cyberpunk T-shirt on too, but didn’t get chance to ask him about it. Shaping up well from what I can tell.

Jetpack on the ZX Spectrum here! Far easier to play it on the Speccy than on the BBC B for some reason.

Played that not so long back on Spectaculator. Was a good game in it's day but not a patch on modern games. Haven't you tried anything more recent?

Agreed, Witcher 3 is a masterpiece.

I bought it on ps4 but gave up when I realised you had to learn all the complicated sword fighting moves. Didn't even give it a chance TBH. Perhaps I should have persevered...

Decidedly last gen here with a 5th gen i7k, 1080ti and 32 gigs ram. Sorta waiting on a few things right now, nothing taking my fancy right now but cyberpunk looks good and waiting on rockstar to stop being punks and get red dead 2 out on pc

Played that not so long back on Spectaculator. Was a good game in it's day but not a patch on modern games. Haven't you tried anything more recent?

Nothing even remotely current. I’m not much of a gamer really, haven’t really got sucked in by anything since Doom, Quake, Hexen etc (all of which I have running on a Dosbox on my Macbook). There is something I really like aesthetically about the old 8 and 16 bit games, kind of the ‘non-reality’ of it along with the conceptual simplicity. The modern hyper-real stuff is astonishing, but I’m not sure I actually want to invest the time in it. There is immediate gratification from a level or two of Space Invaders, Pacman, Doom or whatever without having to really sink time I should really be doing something more productive with. I also don’t have any even remotely current gaming hardware (my computer is an 7 year old Macbook).

I noticed this ancient thread starts with Borderlands. There is a new Borderlands 2 DC that gives upgraded graphics with wacky flared lighting and better low light colours. As someone who, after a bad day arguing with civil servants, might need to head out in the Dust with a high powered sniper rifle, It seems pretty cool to me.

Appeared when Borderlands 3 was announced.

Nothing even remotely current. I’m not much of a gamer really, haven’t really got sucked in by anything since Doom, Quake, Hexen etc (all of which I have running on a Dosbox on my Macbook).

Did you do much Quake back in the day? About the nerdiest and most minor claim to gaming fame ever is that I trained one of the U.K. Quake squad. He outpaced me after a while, obviously. But it was a fun thing to be involved with back then.

I bought it on ps4 but gave up when I realised you had to learn all the complicated sword fighting moves. Didn't even give it a chance TBH. Perhaps I should have persevered...

Well, obviously it depends on the kinds of games you enjoy playing and the kinds of controls you’re comfortable with, but I think most people who’ve given it a decent go have got used to the controls.

And in terms of world building and sheer generosity of content, it’s truly fantastic IMO. It’s just so damn huge, and stuff like the Bloody Baron storyline is a real cut above the norm.

Did you do much Quake back in the day?

A fair bit of Quake 1. I was in corporate IT at the time and death matches were an invaluable network bandwidth testing tool. I played it right through (on the easy level) at home too. I loved Doom/Doom II too. I remember spending ages doing what would now be classed as ‘speed running’ the first level of Doom II just to see how quickly I could get a full 100% score.

Back in the ‘80s/90s I had a comic book artist friend, sadly no longer with us, who was a bit of an obsessive gamer and later went on to work for Rage, Sony etc as a game artist. We kind of took shifts playing through games like Doom, Hexen and a load of Megadrive stuff (Sonic, Earthworm Jim etc). I was always reasonable at the PC FPS type stuff, but he was in a whole different league with the side-scrolling platformers. It was great fun just watching him do all the impossible moves etc. I just love the aesthetic of some of those 8-bit platformers, they really look amazing. I’m utterly hopeless at playing them though!

Decidedly last gen here with a 5th gen i7k, 1080ti and 32 gigs ram. Sorta waiting on a few things right now, nothing taking my fancy right now but cyberpunk looks good and waiting on rockstar to stop being punks and get red dead 2 out on pc

Someone I know who's spent most of their life playing video games told me that Read Dead Redemption 1 was the best campaign of any game he's played (xbox 360 version)

I bet the pc version of Red Dead 2 will need a hell of a lot more grunt than my old 1st gen i5, rx550, 8gb ram.

I've recently finished Days Gone on the PS4 and highly recommended it. The story's a bit clunky in places but the basics are good and you find yourself complelled to find out what's gone wrong with the world. The recreation of Oregon is stunning and the sheer number of enemies (freaks) on screen can be a bit overwhelming. You can bring down large groups but you need to plan and use environmental features. Some thinking is involved.

I'm not sure it's reviewed that well but it's worth persevering with if you have the time!

The modern hyper-real stuff is astonishing, but I’m not sure I actually want to invest the time in it.

Yes, that is a problem. Thought i'd have a quick play on Crysis yesterday - One hour felt like five minutes...

For anyone who'd like to revisit Crysis, it's best to download it from Gog because their version works on Windows 10 and isn't supposed to have any problems unlike the Steam version.

I've recently finished Days Gone on the PS4 and highly recommended it. The story's a bit clunky in places but the basics are good and you find yourself complelled to find out what's gone wrong with the world. The recreation of Oregon is stunning and the sheer number of enemies (freaks) on screen can be a bit overwhelming. You can bring down large groups but you need to plan and use environmental features. Some thinking is involved.

I'm not sure it's reviewed that well but it's worth persevering with if you have the time!

Interesting. It gets a lot of bad reviews all over the net but some people seem to love it. I like games where you have to think a bit rather than just run around blasting everything in site, so this could be for me...

The review I read gave it a decent mark but complained about the genre and number of zombie games, etc. Luckily I’ve never played one so it was all fresh for me!

The combat and on the fly crafting aren’t the very best but there’s plenty to recommend it.

I'm not normally into stuff with strange creatures/monsters but I just watched the trailer on Steam and I like the look of it. May have to get that next...

Last year I stuck it in my Steam wishlist and fairly soon afterwards it briefly dropped to around a fiver so I grabbed it, but I think it’s still worth the fifteen quid currently being asked.

Mick

Eighteen months ago, after recommendations from several folk, I bought Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, which quickly became one of my all time favourite games. Very melancholy and quite powerful in places. No shooting, just wandering around a valley, through a couple of villages, as you learn what’s become of the inhabitants.

Mick

Eighteen months ago, after recommendations from several folk, I bought Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, which quickly became one of my all time favourite games. Very melancholy and quite powerful in places. No shooting, just wandering around a valley, through a couple of villages, as you learn what’s become of the inhabitants.

Mick

Have you tried Last Day of June (music by Stephen Wilson)? I believe it’s similar.

Have you tried Last Day of June (music by Stephen Wilson)? I believe it’s similar.

Ooh, ta for that. Hadn't heard of it but it looks like it might be right up my street, so to speak.

The music for Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (composed by Jessica Curry) won a couple of BAFTAs and is the only game soundtrack I've bought. Wonderful music in its own right. Music is such a big part of the games I've enjoyed. Looking forward to hearing what Wilson makes of this one.

Mick

Reactions: jay

advertisement

Back