advertisement

Computer/Video Games & Gaming

Borderlands is fun with a quirky sense of humour and a nice look in terms of art and graphics. It's less of a single player game than something like Fallout 3 and apprently gets a bit samey and grindy unless you play online in the co-op multiplayer mode.

At least according to the revews -- Eurogamer I find very reliable http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/borderlands-review -- I have only played it for about 2 hours this morning while nursing a hangover. Games like this I only ever buy when discounted 50% as if (worst case) I only end up getting a few weekends out of them then £15 is not so unreasonable.

gary, get yourself a copy of Defense Grid downloaded from the Xbox Live arcade.

Quick and easy game to get into and doesnt require what I call 'super thumbs'. At least try the demo and see what you think.

Been playing this solid since August. Errm I'm actually ranked around no.20 of games played I think. My other half is sooo proud.

I've found the Live Arcade games far more fun than the full blown shop titles to be honest. I cant play FPS games with a controller to save my life. Though I am pushing on with Dead Space but can only play 20 minutes at a time as its so creepy.

The other main thing I use it for is streaming movies from my NAS, works a treat.

I got dead space as well for xbox. I played that on my Mac, but concede the graphics on the Xbox blow my humble mac out the water.

But coming from PC gaming, getting used to those damn controls is a lot of work, makes you sea sick! I'll look at the arcade but have spent quite enough for one day.

Well, yes - I should be wandering round Rapture, but most of my time is spent on Plants v Zombies ...

palp

Palp -- I rather imagined your evenings were spent drinking a nice glass of Sauvigon Blanc while composing a witty letter to a favourite aunt using one of your fine antique fountain pens.

Never for one moment did I see you dabbling in genetic self modification so you could take down a Big Daddy!

Full of surprises, me. Pens, yes (just got a Yard-O-Led Grand Viceroy Victorian- major swoonage) aunts, yes (six - although a bit gonzo nowadays) but otherwise it's just Tanqueray No 10 and Ikaruga. I don't have the attention span for these big jobs, although I do keep buying them with this nice Steam arrangement.

palp

Is te second part worth the dosh, most reviews seems say its basically like the first.

I enjoyed the first but it wasn't exactly amazing. Am playing STALKER on PC, now thats my type of game.

Surely the thing about Stalker is that it's an FPS/RPG hybrid so if it's like anything it's like Bioshock and previous hybrid games like Deus Ex and System Shock 2? Borderlands is not a million miles away either (although it's obvously quite comic book compared to the grittiness of STALKER).

The problem I have with Bioshock was it had an amazing start and had this awesome art direction and atmosphere but once it got going it was kind good but not great and I got bored of it quite quickly.

BTW, Gary, STALKER is one of those games that attracts obsessive fans so there are lots of mods out there to tweak, fix and extend the game. Oblivion Lost being arguably the most popular http://forums.filefront.com/s-t-l-k...0033-s-t-l-k-e-r-oblivion-lost-kanyhalos.html

Crysis. Very good game for 12 hours of fun crawling around bushes followed by 45 minutes of bewilderment followed by 5 hours of wishing you were back in the bushes.

The Crysis sequels very good for 16 hours of fun and has a better end mission than the original.

Crysis ran fine on my 2 year old PC. But then I'm not bothered about AA, shadows and water reflections. I couldn't really tell the difference in graphics quality with them on or off so just left them off.

Dead Space - this is too scary for me to play with my 6 year old son in the same room - but my 5 year old daughter loves watching me play this. Not as good a game as Crysis.

Multiplayer FPS - I've not found anything better for gameplay and variety of maps than the original 100% free Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

RTS multiplayer - I like Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance best. Great interface and good gameplay.

The Hearts of Iron series is good for a bit of WWII strategy, but a bit too easy to win and a bit too time consuming. I conquered the world as Italy. I started playing as Brazil to see if I could conquer the world with that country too, but I lost my saved game when I rebuilt my PC.

Rollercoaster Tycoon series is a bit of fun for a few hours.

Call of Duty series is good but rather linear.

I'll have to check out Far Cry 2. I enjoyed the first Far Cry but it sounds like the 2nd one might be another Midwinter (too much boring travelling around)?

The Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter series are enjoyable if you're into D&D.

The Pro Evolution soccer that I bought (version 7 or something like that) looked promising, but didn't have the appeal of the league / world cup tournaments of EA footie on the playstation, plus the interface for Pro Evo sucked on the PC.

And then a great alternative to computer games is a good boardgame, such as Agricola, Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Settlers of Catan, Victory in the Pacific, Speed Circuit.

Crysis hobbled along on my mac OK, but was in both instances far too short, the second part only took a couple of hours.

STALKER is odd, my son loves it and wants to watch me play every day. I think its because you play at the pace you want to play at, and whilst he is around we have a look in spooky buildings etc and run away from the 'bad rain'

If I am honest I don't have a bloody clue what I am doing, I shot some invisible things to get some cash and I have been investigating helicopter crashes and attempting to find a way to 'B32' but must confess other than that have been wondering around for hours on end.

Dead space on XBOX is so far removed from what my mac could produce. On the mac my son and I played because the graphics we not up to much and the sound not up to much what you got was a shooting game. On Xbox the shadows etc coupled with a controller I simply cannot use, it becomes a different ball park, suffice to say Eddie is not allowed to see it on.

It takes me quite a long time to complete Crysis, I think it's partly because I use the Xbox controller (I've heard serious gamers use the mouse), I don't play that often and I take my time on each level (making sure all the bad guys are dead, instead of running past them)

Perhaps I should give STALKER a try? I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it after living with Crysis though.

Does anyone know of any other good PC games that I should investigate, or ones worth waiting for?

Anyone play Eve Online? Been on that 4+ years now.

Got back into playing the old Lunar Lander on the 360. A classic from 1979.

Also, Halo Reach is out. Not sure if it's any good, I'm still playing Mass Effect 2, but the updated Halo graphics I've seen in the pictures certainly look snazzy.

Today only Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is £1.75 on Steam. One of the best RPGs ever for less than the price of a pint.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32370/
I bought that last month.. gutted!
warning it's 4:3 old school screen ratio only and if you have a widescreen monitor it's squashed!
- there is a widescreen fix that involves sourcing a 'no-CD' hack then getting another program to modify that *executable to get widescreen
-I found it worth the faff due to being so format sensitive
edit, there are lots of user mods/content out there , new weapons costumes etc.

good game if you like the bioware rpg style, & best star wars game I've played.
but then I'm a bit of a bioware fan

finished Mass effect 1 & 2 and multiple runs through Dragonage awakenings +DLC's

whilst ME is far from a hard core fps, it's fps enough with lots of RP

just got an email from play, D.Age II on pre-order is delayed till March 2011 :(

J

advertisement

Back