advertisement

Game recommendation please

2ManyBoxes

pfm Member
I've just finished GTA V on my Xbox One S. I was hoping to play Cyberpunk 2077 but the Microsoft store says that it has 'significant performance issues' if run on an Xbox One.

My favourite games before GTA V were Red Dead Redemption 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

So I like the open world sort of a mash-up of story, shooting (not too hard), strategy & stealth.

I don't think there is one but I'm open to recommendations when there's nothing else to do in these Covid dominated times.

For GTA-ish stuff, I’m currently playing through Watch Dogs Legion and, some rough edges aside, quite enjoying it. It’s a blend of GTA and dystopian near-future tech London. I play it as mostly a stealth game, but you can go for shooting too/instead. I’m playing on a series X, but afaik it should be fine on a 1S too.

And since you have an Xbox, you may also have Game Pass, in which case I should mention the Yakuza games that are on GP. A more story and fisticuffs kind of thing than shooting. Full of dramatic storylines, packed with bonkers Japanese quirkiness, and if they suit you, thoroughly enjoyable. YMMV - I recommended them to a mate and he didn’t really get on with them as he wasn’t willing to explore the very rich world and just raced through the story without really engaging with the game. Whereas I loved all 4 of them that I’ve played so far. I’d say start with Yakuza 0.

Not that long till the Mass Effect trilogy remasters come out, too - basically gaming’s answer to Star Wars. Not sure what the remastering will bring, but I adored the originals at the time, especially 3.

I've just started Far Cry 4 and it should tick all your boxes. I was thoroughly enjoying the Sniper Elite series as well as Ghost Sniper Wildlands but played them all to death.

I also bought Doom Eternity but all the key combos required to jump and cling onto walls was doing my nut and its been shelved.

Someone told me that The Witcher is really hard and gets harder the more times you die. I have a short temper so for the sake of the health of my controller I'll give that a miss.

Far Cry 4 sounds good and the reviews are good. It should also be cheap so I'll give it a try, thanks.

Someone told me that The Witcher is really hard and gets harder the more times you die. I have a short temper so for the sake of the health of my controller I'll give that a miss.

Far Cry 4 sounds good and the reviews are good. It should also be cheap so I'll give it a try, thanks.

That’s not true about The Witcher 3 (or 1 or 2, for that matter). In fact it’s a bit of a bizarre thing to say about the game, not sure where your source would have got such an odd idea.

It’s an open world RPG, a gigantic game, ribald, epic, with a very strong sense of place and character, and some excellent storylines.

Probably the best RPG ever made thus far.

This probably doesn’t conform to the original OP, but a recent favorite of mine is Star Wars Squadrons. Back in the 80’s I liked Elite on the BBC computer. This is similar but with modern graphics. OK, there are a limited number of scenarios and the radar leaves a lot to be desired but as for a challenge it’s really good, you can’t just buy your way to better ships and equipment and so it enforces skill over purchasing power.

Just bought and started Sniper Elite 3 (4 was still £50 but 3 was £7 on offer :)) and I'm enjoying it so far. Reminds me a lot of the Battlefield series and there's a lot more creeping about with a silenced hand-gun than I expected but it's killing time OK :)

Just bought and started Sniper Elite 3 (4 was still £50 but 3 was £7 on offer :)) and I'm enjoying it so far. Reminds me a lot of the Battlefield series and there's a lot more creeping about with a silenced hand-gun than I expected but it's killing time OK :)

In order of preference I liked 4 over 2 over 3. I maxxed out on all the extra DLC missions too. Trying to shoot Hitler in the "nut" was a hoot.

Can't wait for 5 which hopefully will be out this year.

In order of preference I liked 4 over 2 over 3. I maxxed out on all the extra DLC missions too. Trying to shoot Hitler in the "nut" was a hoot.

Can't wait for 5 which hopefully will be out this year.

Yes, I can imagine that Hitler was a right little wriggle britches.

I got all the extra missions (you save Churchill 3 times apparently) and the graphics aren't appalling so I'm happy :)

advertisement

Back