advertisement

Gale gets new legs

nws56

pfm Member
As much as I like the style of those reproduction stands, they just are not tall enough. The sound seems to come out of the skirtingboard. I want it to seem to come from out of the whole wall. I did think of hacking those repro stands and adding 8 inches of extra height but... I bottled it. And came up with these - not as elegant, but matching the centre stand better and giving that bigger and taller sound.

Hmmmm....very nice! and well done.

My sofas are low, so the standard stands still work for me. The tweeters end up being a little below ear level, but it sounds just fine.

Yes, settee height is probably crucial. I was pre conditioned to a large extent by my previous speakers which were very tall floorstanders. Wish I could have used those repro stands even now.

Thank you both for your kind words.
Bet neither of you love the fugly cables hanging down.
Got to fix that soon !

I had originally wanted to title the thread ' Upskirt photo of Gale's lovely long legs ' - cos I'm really immature at heart - but my dear wife talked me out of it.

I think they look superb; one of my favourites. It looks like they are behind the telly though so, if it is possible, bring them out so at least the baffles are in front of the screen.

That photo is deceptive; they do stand in front of the screen by 3 inches. I'd prefer them to be flush, but can not because the crossovers are mounted externally on the back panel.... which is a separate thread really. Will post it soon in the diy section and see if anyone is interested.
2021 ? You think they suggest modernity ? I'm not even sure what they say to me now... sometimes I think they just look like a pair of speed cameras at both sides of the road and waiting to pounce.
Visitors don't seem to know what are they for and just ignore them. Perhaps that's just the nature of my visitors.
Anyway, thanks for all your comments.

That centre speaker isn't really there as a centre speaker; I just placed it there to show the height of the stand relative to the new ones. I have two pairs you see. Gale and her twin sister, who is also called Gale.
Wall hanging was indeed considered, but then we got that glass centre stand. After several years of looking and pondering over that stand - and those chrome pillars - the notion formed in my head that a pair
of 401a's would complete the thing. Whatever that 'thing' is.
The guy I bought both pairs from ( Hi Jim ) used them all in a surround sound set up. Would love to do the same, but the room and the wife says 'no'.

advertisement

Back