advertisement

FX or DX crop?

Rockmeister

pfm Member
One solution to my need for some longer reach lens wise is to fit a DX telephoto to the FX610, and in crop mode, benefit from the 1.5X. DX lenses are much cheaper and tend to be also lighter (2 ticks for me) so it looks, on paper, like a win win.

Anyone any experiences?
I'm looking at the 70-300 which should i think crop to about 100-450.

I've been thinking the same thing, going for a 70-350 APS-C lens for my Sony A7R3. Much lighter than the 70-300 Full Frame and the crops would still be 16mp, quite sufficient for me.

Nikon Z50 on order. VG kit deal at the mo but all sold out so a month or so to wait.
I agree about the sensor size. Need to remind myself why I love to take pics, and it’s NOT to get nervous about pixel peeping:)

I ended up getting a Sigma 100-400 F5-F6.3. - probably the lightest weight long zoom for my Sony A7R3. It's heavy but manageable :rolleyes:
That sounds perfik.
The z50 lens No2 goes to 250, so 375. Plenty for me. For whatever reason my magic number re weight, is 800 gms, and that lens, mounted on the 50 is a shade over that. IIRC the D610 body only is about the same.

That sounds perfik.
The z50 lens No2 goes to 250, so 375. Plenty for me. For whatever reason my magic number re weight, is 800 gms, and that lens, mounted on the 50 is a shade over that. IIRC the D610 body only is about the same.
Sounds like you made a good choice :)

One solution to my need for some longer reach lens wise is to fit a DX telephoto to the FX610, and in crop mode, benefit from the 1.5X. DX lenses are much cheaper and tend to be also lighter (2 ticks for me) so it looks, on paper, like a win win.

Anyone any experiences?
I'm looking at the 70-300 which should i think crop to about 100-450.
My mrs uses a 70-300 on her D7000 it’s quite a good lens, and yes it comes out at 100-450. It’s also lighter than my 300 f2.8, and she doesn’t have to zoom out with her feet. :)

advertisement

Back