advertisement

Future echoes on vinyl

deebster

Half Man Half Biscuit
Nah, not a Red Dwarf reissue.

In quiet patches on certain albums I can hear the music from a second or two further on in the song. I've read about print-through on albums originally recorded on tape, but what about more recent ones that were not?

Can this also be a function of a bad pressing? Stuggling to see how though, as wouldn't it mean the groove wall had somehow been breached, or part of the other side of the grove wall had somehow leaked across?

Enlighten me please colleagues.

Deebster,

The vinyl LP is a time-travel device that lets you hear your music a few seconds before it starts. If you play your records backwards, you will know how they sounded a few seconds ago.

I assume you were just about to play Pink Floyd Meddle.

Joe

As per the Steve Hoffman: If it occurs an LP revolution before you hear it as the main audio then its probably down to the cut disc being deformed. e.g as one rotation is cut, the pressure shifts the previous adjacent cut rotation beside it.

The vinyl LP is a time-travel device that lets you hear your music a few seconds before it starts. If you play your records backwards, you will know how they sounded a few seconds ago

Hmmm, what would happen when playing the Future Sound of London back catalogue?

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/what-causes-the-pre-song-on-a-lp.328880/ seems to cover it nicely. Think I've learned something.

Hadn't given the vinyl mastering side of it much thought til now, but it makes sense that the groove cut on one rotation can get deformed if the groove on the next rotation contains more musical information in it. Similar to what happens when making spirals in wet sand I suppose. Big one squeezes out little one.

This is a separate issue to tape print-through though.

I have one LP, Treason by Gryphon, which has a quiet drum track recorded on the lead in track then the band come crashing in. I suppose the idea being that you never know when the track starts. The effect is spoiled by the sound having a pre-echo of main intro 1 revolution before it comes in. I feel that the adjacent groove is a little deformed and comes through on the lead in groove.

Bloody annoying in some tracks - OST Rocky has plenty- seems like the energy of French horns are big culprits for pre-echo...

advertisement

Back