advertisement

Fuses

Look if someone spends £40 on a fuse and believes it improves the sound of their system and they are happy I can't see a problem and equally if because of physics or anything else someone doesn't believe that a £40 fuse can make a difference and are happy I can't see a problem. So what is the problem?

You cannot hear something that you cannot measure. Measuring test gear is orders of magnitude better than any ears. Don't conflate measure with identify.

A fuse is designed to fail at a specific current after a certain period has elapsed. The only way they can let more current through than another similarly rated fuse is if they do not actually hit the spec. And given that the sr fuses do not have a bskite mark on them they are illegal to sell and use in the UK. Euro rules do not apply to UK mains fuses.

Look if someone spends £40 on a fuse and believes it improves the sound of their system and they are happy I can't see a problem and equally if because of physics or anything else someone doesn't believe that a £40 fuse can make a difference and are happy I can't see a problem. So what is the problem?
Excactly!

Think of it like this. Before the power can flow up the mains cable it has to go across that thin fuse wire. Modifying this so you can get more juice into your kit is bound to increase its performance.

Your thinking is back to front. The mains supply does not ‘send juice’ into your equipment. The equipment draws the current that it requires. Therefore, if it can draw the current that it requires through a bog standard fuse without causing it to blow, then adding a gold and platinum fuse with unicorn skin plating and quantum tunnels will have absolutely no effect.

I always remember the bloke who brought his disco sound to light controller for a repair. He had helpfully taken the top off, and there was an odd hole with scorch marks in the centre of the PCB. It looked like an extinct supervolcano crater.
'It kept blowing fuses so I wedged the old one in with a piece of wire..'

Excactly!

No...not exactly.

It isn't that they fit a fuse ( of whatever kind ) and are happy that is up for discussion here. It is that they state categorically that " they make a difference " " there is a clear difference " " they made a huge difference " .

Personally I'm of the 'they can spend their money on whatever they like ' school of thought but when they start making quantitive objective claims for what can only ever be subjective ( and tenuous ) 'observations' they those claims deserve to be challenged, if only to stop those claims gaining internet traction and mysteriously becoming fact.

It seems to me that some of the greatest foo proponents on here are those with the least electronic knowledge. Some of them are just plain ignorant of how electrical equipment works at all. I am amazed some of them can change a fuse in the first place.

As always the offer to come and listen to my wonderful system is open.*
SR Blue replaced the SR Red and is even better.

For those who wonder if it might just work, have a reasonable system try the 30 day return.
Those who 'know' it can't work carry on with your system performing under par.

*North West Surrey.

You must have had the most shit awful hi-fi system in the world if the replacement of a mere fuse causes a "big step up in sound quality"

It is easy to see why religion dominates the world and is the greatest cause of strife in the world.

Some of the beliefs held on here by , possibly , intelligent people beggars belief.

Rega Isis CDP, Belles Pre and Power, TAD E1s
Pretty good system that improves with the fuse. (I'm a poet too)

Really? I doubt that.

Ps. They also sound different depending on which direction they are inserted in the fuse holder.
Oh ok. Now you qualify.
I knight you with the honory order of the huge belty shiny thing of the glowing dawncrusade fuse knights.
Arise sir loon.
:)

Oh, how we messed about with fuses when RKR was in his pomp. My system sounded way better when I went back the old ones, mainly because I wasn't so frikkin nervous.

I’m going to quote Tesla here again for all you scientists stuck in your boxes, ranting about something your too stubborn to try.
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”

I’m going to quote Tesla here again for all you scientists stuck in your boxes, ranting about something your too stubborn to try.
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”

They also sound different depending on which direction they are inserted in the fuse holder.

I'm going to quote someone more apt but also from your field of expertise

691c0ce32d038795e96062d95329921d5e9205ee.jpg

advertisement

Back