advertisement

Fuses

mercalia

pfm Member
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Don’t buy fancy fuses!

Mains fuses should be ceramic because a short can vaporise the wire blowing the glass to pieces, so mains ceramic low voltage glass mostly.

Pete

giphy.gif

Follow the links and you see the standard range of values. There is no way a boutique supplier is going to be making so many wire sizes in a "custom alloy"

Also note the lack of any regulatory approvals on the fancy sleeve

I use fancy fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning to be precise, although I've tried Synergistic Research to adverse effect. A good Dealer will let you try before you buy, so I don't understand the naysayers. If they don't work for you, don,t buy.

I use fancy fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning to be precise, although I've tried Synergistic Research to adverse effect. A good Dealer will let you try before you buy, so I don't understand the naysayers. If they don't work for you, don,t buy.

well at £40 a pop even if they made a difference I would never use them since they are consumables

well at £40 a pop even if they made a difference I would never use them since they are consumables

On that note , I can recall over the past 40 years of only having one fuse blow in all my hifi gear , and that was under warranty due to a manufacturing error.
So not much to worry about there then.

Couldn't care less that someone tries a fancy fuse, but they do a 16A 'slow blow' version. That's clearly dangerous as all uk plugs are 13A max.

That is a real nice comment Jezz! You have a lot of good information to pass on, and I think most of it is appreciated, so why say things like that regardless?

I don't think you'd want me to really take the gloves off and say what I think of people who whilst usually starting with "I know nothing about electronics BUT.." then basically go on to state that due to what they imagine they hear then NASA, MIT, Faraday, Maxwell, Ohm, Tesla, Philips, Sony, etc etc are all wrong and the laws of physics don't apply to them...

Fuses are not designed to sound good , but to stop your equipment failing or killing you or your family in a fire caused by a electrical fault
60% of all deaths are caused by fires & fuse suppliers test to very strict global standards
$500+ for a copy of test standards from Lloyds for north american certification only
& testing & approval costs a hell of a lot more & can take years
UL Standard for Safety Low-Voltage Fuses – Part 1: General Requirements

Fuses are evil, replace with offcuts of 6” nails :)

Do I need to add not to actually try this?

advertisement

Back