advertisement

Furutech Terminated Power Cords

ryder

pfm Member
Has anyone tried a Furutech terminated cord in UK plug, say FI-50 NCF(R)/DPS4.1 or FI-48 NCF(R)/FP-S032N and compare it with standard power cords? I would appreciate experiences from those who have tried some of these cords.

Been using Furutech connectors for many years to terminate mains cables . got loads of them , even some schuco . I do love the solidity of the mains plugs . really solid screws and feels well made and the furutech mains socket i use grips cables well

however on some equipment i find the iec don`t grip as well as some , so audioquest moulded iec plugs have been used more . like the NRG3 . now 315 dollars or whatever these are seems to me to be a bit OTT for these . here is a video on the matter

Thanks for the response. Did you perceive an audible or noticeable difference or improvement with the cords made up with Furutech (or Audioquest moulded IEC) plugs? The video shows the FI-50 with US plug. It is likely I'm going to try a cord made up with UK plug since the cord will be connected to the wall outlet (UK plug). From the wall outlet it will either connect to the power strip(US plug) or directly to the amp, whichever configuration which produces a better result.

I'm personally looking at the FI-UK NCF(R) and FI-48 NCF(R) IEC with S032N wire or a cheaper configuration.

I have a Furukawa PCOCC-A cable terminated with Furutech UK FI-1363 and FI-50 R IEC made by Mark Grant. Of course, really well made but very hard to work with stiff single core cable. I thought it was similar in performance comparing it with the Clearer Audio Silver Optimus at the time (a silver cable but with slightly cheaper Furutech plugs). I have Furutech plugs on some other cables too but to be honest it’s not easy at all to compare plugs alone against each other and I have chosen them where I can for the quality of materials and trying to ensure a continuous good quality copper path.

Last edited:
I have used a diy Furutech Fp 314 ag but not terminated with Furutech, instead with IeGo for the iec copper, silver plated copper and gold plated copper.
Other end with a Crabtree (does not quite fit). Sounds close to a Naim powerline on a CDX2.
I was going to try something higher up from Furutech, like the FP-3TS20 or Alpha 3 but instead switched brands to Acrolink 7N PC4020 thinking purity over gauge might matter.

Its early days but if someone had told me that a mains cable needs time to settle in or burn in I would have coffee on my keyboard.
Some days it is as if I have inserted the next box up in a Naim hierarchy and then the next day its all bright, next the soundstage goes south and now I think its all back but is it.

I've got some Furutech Alpha 3 terminated with Furutech plugs and Fi50 iecs. I think they are fantastic cables. The Fi50 makes a good difference compared to lesser iecs.

However, the Oyaide C004 are also extremely good and can be obtained for a lot less (if you can import them and avoid customs charges).

I'm using Nanotec golden strada 309 with Oyaide 004 US plugs and iecs on my monoblocs.

The best connectors are the Furutech fi50, Furutech NCF, Oyaide 004 and the Iego solid silver connectors. The furutech case is better than the others due to the carbon fibre reducing vibration and offering the best rfi protection.

The connectors are more important than the cable. Mains cables are the most important cables in my experience. I have a new Siltech cable to try but I want to upgrade the plugs.

I have since fitted IeGo pure silver iec to my Acrolink 7N PC4020, not sure if I should have gone Oyaide 004 or 046 I am guessing Furutech connectors work best on Furutech cable.

Try not giggle to much but I am now running on some Cyrus boxes instead of the Naim and the results are similar, I am also buying into the notion that the mains cable and its connectors are the most important.

I have a Furukawa PCOCC-A cable terminated with Furutech UK FI-1363 and FI-50 R IEC made by Mark Grant. Of course, really well made but very hard to work with stiff single core cable. I thought it was similar in performance comparing it with the Clearer Audio Silver Optimus at the time (a silver cable but with slightly cheaper Furutech plugs). I have Furutech plugs on some other cables too but to be honest it’s not easy at all to compare plugs alone against each other and I have chosen them where I can for the quality of materials and trying to ensure a continuous good quality copper path.

Just a simple question. Did you perceive a noticeable difference when you compare the power cord terminated with Furutech UK F1-1363 with other power cords terminated in UK plugs? I am only interested in this, whether there is a noticeable difference between power cords which come in UK plugs.

Someone who experimented with cords terminated in various Furutech (UK) plugs heard no difference between those cords. Experiences may vary with systems and/or ears hence the question.

I have since fitted IeGo pure silver iec to my Acrolink 7N PC4020, not sure if I should have gone Oyaide 004 or 046 I am guessing Furutech connectors work best on Furutech cable.

Try not giggle to much but I am now running on some Cyrus boxes instead of the Naim and the results are similar, I am also buying into the notion that the mains cable and its connectors are the most important.

So you've got the Acrolink 7N-PC4020. This thinner version of the 4030 is said to be suitable for sources such as DAC, CD player and preamp. The 4030 is more suitable for amps.

I will be receiving a Acrolink Mexcel 7N-PC9700 (US) next week, my costliest ever purchase for a power cord. The cord will go between a power strip and component. I'm still not sure if the cord that goes between the wall outlet(UK) and power strip will bring much difference, hence the purpose of this thread. Currently I have a standard Naim cord and a Chord PowerChord, both in UK plugs and I'm not sure if a higher quality Furutech cable terminated in better UK plugs and IEC will bring further gains. Someone reported negligible differences between power cords terminated in various Furutech plated plugs (UK).

I've got some Furutech Alpha 3 terminated with Furutech plugs and Fi50 iecs. I think they are fantastic cables. The Fi50 makes a good difference compared to lesser iecs.

However, the Oyaide C004 are also extremely good and can be obtained for a lot less (if you can import them and avoid customs charges).

I'm using Nanotec golden strada 309 with Oyaide 004 US plugs and iecs on my monoblocs.

The best connectors are the Furutech fi50, Furutech NCF, Oyaide 004 and the Iego solid silver connectors. The furutech case is better than the others due to the carbon fibre reducing vibration and offering the best rfi protection.

The connectors are more important than the cable. Mains cables are the most important cables in my experience. I have a new Siltech cable to try but I want to upgrade the plugs.

Are the cords terminated in UK or US plugs?

I will be receiving a Acrolink Mexcel 7N-PC9700 (US) next week, my costliest ever purchase for a power cord. The cord will go between a power strip and component.

Can you not go directly from wall to the amp and bypass the powerstrip? kinda seams pointless otherwise!!

So you've got the Acrolink 7N-PC4020. This thinner version of the 4030 is said to be suitable for sources such as DAC, CD player and preamp. The 4030 is more suitable for amps.
PC4020 will be fine. 2.5mm2 is the AWG being used within the mains that supplies the multiple sockets within the ring in domestic situation/build. Adding a metre or two 6mm2 between the socket and the amp will do fekk all.

Can you not go directly from wall to the amp and bypass the powerstrip? kinda seams pointless otherwise!!
Can't go directly from wall outlet unless the receptacle at the wall outlet is replaced with US connection. At this moment I'm very reluctant to change the wall outlet(UK) to US types.

Will try the power cord between the power strip and component first and see how it goes. I have both Wireworld Elektra 7 and Virtual Dynamics cords on the power strip (both in US plugs) and there's a difference in sound quality when the cords are swapped between components.

The potential Furutech cord in UK plug that's being asked here will be the one that will go between the wall outlet and power strip.

How about having the Acrolink Mexcel 7N-PC9700 (US) fitted with the UK plug?

PS, your Luxman doesn't draw a vast amount of current which is worth keeping in mind.

330W (max), 260W (under no signal), 0.5W (at standby) http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=1

My amps max rating is 1200w, i have no issues using 2.5mm2 flex. http://en.audionet.de/wp-content/uploads/data_sheet_audionet_dna__en.pdf

Try some if this, save yourself from mains craziness http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=324245221069 :D

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yep reason I chose the 4020 over the 4030 is more to do with amperage, This cable is From Japan and popular in the US on voltages of 100v or 120v compared to here in the UK on 230v the amperage demand could half or at least a good deal less so not an issue for modest amplifiers.
I went for purity of material for the purpose of electron flow, calculating that 2 or 2.5mm2 would be more than enough to also lower resistance as opposed to just selecting a bigger cable.

I've got Furutech mains cables throughout my system now and found that each and every one I added, improved the sound of my system. I tried an array of different plugs along the way, but have settled on Furutech again. My cables include S022N and S032N from the FP-S Alpha Nano series, and the often overlooked (and underrated) FP-3TS762 from the Alpha series. This is a cable intended for high current applications really which has very thick and stiff connectors, it certainly takes some time to terminate it well. I used these on my active speakers and the difference over some Lapp cable I was using before that was pretty massive tbh, I was taken aback as the Lapp was a substantial improvement over the manufacturer cables.
I've listened to the TC-S series too but personally found them a little too smooth and polite in my system. Never tried the DPS4.1 incase I loved it :)
There does seem to be a similarity in sound between the ranges (as you may expect), so it's worth trying all (both?) to see which works best for you.
Plugs wise, the Fi-28 represents great value but I have a number of Fi-11 too on components I don't use so much. Never tried a Fi-50, again incase I liked it. The Fi-1363UK mains plugs are excellent, easy to wire up even with stiff/thick cables and improved the sound for sure. I did like the MS HD plugs too and if you can't accommodate the Furutechs from a space point of view, they're a very close second (I compared gold and Rhodium versions - Furutech better sounding in both cases, but not by much tbf).
Plating of plugs does make a difference too, but I found less so than some others have found. Rhodium at both ends was a little less laid back than I like, Gold at both ends is maybe a fraction too laid back but a mix of one of each tends to give me what I'm after, smooth but detailed.
From what I've experienced, I would say the following things:
1) Make sure you try them in your system (advice is great, but no substitute for listening in your own system)
2) Buy the right cable for the application (don't assume that the top of the range, super thick cables are always the best. Some components don't seem to need it)
3) Plating and length of cable make less of a difference than the type of cable and connectors. You can almost fine tune the cable with these two aspects (once you know what you like).
4) Don't make a snap decision. I've found that mains cables take a good long while of use to sound their best, so give them plenty of time before you start making judgements (3-5days of use depending on core thickness in my experience)

It's your money at the end of the day, so it's whatever you like and think is right for your system (and wallet!). I would maybe start with an FP-S022N, Fi-1363G and Fi-11R or Fi-28R, and see how you get on. This is a fantastic value cable and is also a great test bed for trying other connectors/platings etc.

Just a simple question. Did you perceive a noticeable difference when you compare the power cord terminated with Furutech UK F1-1363 with other power cords terminated in UK plugs? I am only interested in this, whether there is a noticeable difference between power cords which come in UK plugs.

Someone who experimented with cords terminated in various Furutech (UK) plugs heard no difference between those cords. Experiences may vary with systems and/or ears hence the question.
I have not done such detailed comparisons but more a fully assembled cable vs another and this would involve usually different materials and plugs. I wouldn't say that UK mains plugs make no difference, although, again, I cannot prove it from direct experience. I wouldn't go too crazy about which plugs but would second the opinion above that some such as Furutech and MS HD UK plugs are probably worth investing in to ensure quality (and, of course, other good ones) - if you take a closer look, you may notice that Chord use custom made MS HD connectors across their better range.

MS HD plugs are excellent and can take up to 6mm2 conductors - that's the only benefit.... Mains pugs can not have a 'sound'. The plating is there to stop oxidation not add 'acoustic flavour'.

advertisement

Back