advertisement

Funktion One: trouser-flapping

sonddek

Trade: SUPATRAC
A friend of mine works for Funktion One (http://www.funktion-one.com/). He usually smirks when he hears my weedy hifi, and asks where the frequency extremes have gone. On Monday I went to hear his dem rig at a trade show:

pano_lowrez.jpg

When they turned the 221's up the whole building was moving, not just my bowels and trousers. He also demonstrated a pair of 101's which were really very good, and amazingly loud for a small 2/3 range speaker. As soon as he switched on the sub the bass went massive, thumpy, ill-defined, tuneless and completely incapable of reproducing the sound of a double bass, which sounded the size of a cardboard bus. He said that he thought the room was pretty neutral. At one point he put a dance track on and gradually turned up the volume on the 221-based stacks in the corners, which felt like physical assault and triggered my flight instinct. I really wanted to get out, fast. As the volume got higher, quite suddenly you could hear the lights and the roof and the gantry rattling like an epileptic maraca-player. Impressive, and utterly pointless if enjoyable music reproduction is your goal.

The 21 inch drivers were awfully tuneless.

In the end, it was a relief to sit down in front of my system at home and remember that acoustic recordings can deliver some semblance of realism. It was a great reminder that to me, deep bass has practically nothing to do with enjoyment of music, and that a room never fails to react to deep/excessive bass and completely mess it up. Public address sound systems are a very different kettle of fish to domestic hifi, with completely different priorities. Maybe that's one of the reasons I often enjoy studio albums more than live music. The venue and sound system are usually a long long way from accurate.

It's great gear for making non-acoustic loud noises though.

In the end, it was a relief to sit down in front of my system at home and remember that acoustic recordings can deliver some semblance of realism. It was a great reminder that to me, deep bass has practically nothing to do with enjoyment of music, and that a room never fails to react to deep/excessive bass and completely mess it up. Public address sound systems are a very different kettle of fish to domestic hifi, with completely different priorities. Maybe that's one of the reasons I often enjoy studio albums more than live music. The venue and sound system are usually a long long way from accurate.

It's great gear for making non-acoustic loud noises though.

Haha - good post :D

Deeper and louder does not equal better. Give me a pair of very fine mini monitors over a large PA any day of the week.

I agree with everything except the part about preferring studio recordings to live recordings. With me it's (usually) the other way around. (I prefer the acoustic of a live venue compared to the multi-mic'd studio stuff)

Lefty

Shame. Function kit can sound really good when well engineered...
Had a Meyer dem yesterday. ****ing blew my mind. You can have your cake & eat it, for a price...

I've met the f1 boys , at one stage I was trying to get their kit into a big football stadium that England like to play at. Didn't succeed but had fun trying, I remember listening to a room they had at plasa.

Had a Meyer dem yesterday. ****ing blew my mind. You can have your cake & eat it, for a price...

of course, actually lots of pro gear in the recent years completely beats usual domestic audio.... dispersion control, low distortion, neutrality etc.... meyer, L acoustic, funktion one, martin...

of course, actually lots of pro gear in the recent years completely beats usual domestic audio.... dispersion control, low distortion, neutrality etc.... meyer, L acoustic, funktion one, martin...
Yup.

When set up and demo'd properly the F1 gear is extraordinarily good, sounds like the room was at fault and not helped by the 221's in corners????.

It's "eat your cake and have it". Anybody can have cake and eat it. What you can't do is eat your cake and have it. Sorry for being a pedant, but putting it the wrong way round spoils the meaning, especially for international readers who may not know the original expression.

At my friend's wedding in France, he had four 221 based stacks in the storeroom/disco, but the pair in the garden sounded very much better due to the absence of bass standing waves and excessive resonance of every structure in the room.

It would be interesting to compare the 101's to the usual domestic hifi candidates, and they are pretty cheap, but they lack crossovers, so once you factor them in it starts to add up. I suppose software crossovers are an option.

Have heard F1 systems doing a good job at big outdoor drum n bass/dubstep gigs but I can't imagine them having the fidelity needed for live music, sucked out mids and exagerated bass and hi's seem to be the order of the day.

I use jbl and nexo kit, as close as pa gets to hifi!

When set up and demo'd properly the F1 gear is extraordinarily good, sounds like the room was at fault and not helped by the 221's in corners????.
This tallies with my experience. An F1 installation done properly is a superb thing IME.

the freq curve (sucked out mids or ruler flat etc) is just how you set it on active EQ. normally a 10sec jobbie.

That's right, the engineer seemed to have access to a lot of response shaping software on the machine that was driving it all. However, it seems the temptation to overwhelm with bass is too great to resist, and that's what the customers want. However you look at it, I preferred the 101's (second smallest conventional two-way boxes) with the subwoofer (left front on floor) switched off. Although the 101's were great, I still didn't hear anything that sounded remotely natural with acoustic music. It was dynamic, scary loud, headphoney, coarse in the upper-mid/treble, atmospheric, big, a lot of fun, but ultimately all very electronic sounding. That may well be down to source/crossover rather than the speakers themselves.

The music selection seemed to be controlled. One chap brought in a disc to be played. It sounded pretty good until the vocals came in, at which point it became a somewhat painful mess. Seems like the setup was a bit double or quits when it came to content production quality. OTOH the outdoor wedding 221 stacks I heard this summer sounded great when driven by SL1200's.

Not entirely sure what the point of this thread is, huge F1 stack doesn't do plinky plinky shock?

Smiley face eq is down to the idiot setting it up, Ive heard D&B, Nexo, LAcoustiic and JBL rigs all sounding crap(never Opus or F1 though). Maybe Tony Andrews will read this thread and bollock your mate :)

Not entirely sure what the point of this thread is, huge F1 stack doesn't do plinky plinky shock?

Smiley face eq is down to the idiot setting it up, Ive heard D&B, Nexo, LAcoustiic and JBL rigs all sounding crap(never Opus or F1 though). Maybe Tony Andrews will read this thread and bollock your mate :)

My mate didn't do the setup, and Tony Andrews was there.

advertisement

Back